Angel's Share Effect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnhs

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What effect does the Angel's Share have on residual sugar when barrel aging? Dependant on humidity, Angel's share will take either water or alcohol from your brew, but does this concentrate the remaining sugars in the barrel? Or does the residual sugar evaporate with the Angel's share as well?

I have a Rye that I mashed at too high a temp, and want to barrel age to offset some of the sweetness. I've thought about brewing a dry Rye to replace the Angel's share to bring down the sweetness as well (in theory), but if the sugar doesn't evaporate with the Angel's share, it doesn't seem like this will have any effect.

Thoughts?

Only the water and alcohol evaporate. Any sugars or salts in the beer become more concentrated. I guess I also don't see how barrel aging is going to offset the sweetness, unless you mean souring the beer.

What effect does the Angel's Share have on residual sugar when barrel aging? Dependant on humidity, Angel's share will take either water or alcohol from your brew, but does this concentrate the remaining sugars in the barrel? Or does the residual sugar evaporate with the Angel's share as well?

I have a Rye that I mashed at too high a temp, and want to barrel age to offset some of the sweetness. I've thought about brewing a dry Rye to replace the Angel's share to bring down the sweetness as well (in theory), but if the sugar doesn't evaporate with the Angel's share, it doesn't seem like this will have any effect.

Thoughts?

Brew a dryer batch and blend them 50/50, with half barrel aged and half carboy aged....unless you have 2 barrels. In winemaking we top-up with existing wine to keep the barrel full...not sure if the brewers follow the same process of topping up.

weirdboy said:
Only the water and alcohol evaporate. Any sugars or salts in the beer become more concentrated. I guess I also don't see how barrel aging is going to offset the sweetness, unless you mean souring the beer.

Offset probably wasn't the right term. Mask with oak, vanillan, and rye whiskey is probably more accurate.

Back