And Carl said... "it ain't got no gas!!".... other two fellas "see what I mean, it's the simplest things first"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamwhatiseem

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those who have seen Slingblade... you will know the scene.
I needed Carl today, so I didn't look so stupid.
I figured I had enough right kind of grains to make a Black IPA, that time of year. And I did.
So I weigh it all out, and start crushing the grains... 'what the hell is happening here?". Grains are barely going down. And it is not crushing them... dammit!
Make a long story short, I end up taking the grain crusher apart fearing the worst... metal shavings everywhere... but everything looks just fine.
"What is happening?!" I repeat. Put it all back together, hook the drill back up and I decide to just put in a small handful to see if I see anything. I did.
I saw the problem right away.... the drill was in reverse. DOH!!!
Carl?.... Carl?

For those who have seen Slingblade... you will know the scene.
I needed Carl today, so I didn't look so stupid.
I figured I had enough right kind of grains to make a Black IPA, that time of year. And I did.
So I weigh it all out, and start crushing the grains... 'what the hell is happening here?". Grains are barely going down. And it is not crushing them... dammit!
Make a long story short, I end up taking the grain crusher apart fearing the worst... metal shavings everywhere... but everything looks just fine.
"What is happening?!" I repeat. Put it all back together, hook the drill back up and I decide to just put in a small handful to see if I see anything. I did.
I saw the problem right away.... the drill was in reverse. DOH!!!
Carl?.... Carl?

BTDT :tank:

Also BTDT...now I have a grain mill with a motor instead of using a drill. Although I can't adjust the speed, so everything has to go through twice; once at a fairly wide gap, then again at a finer gap. I MIAB so I can go as fine on the crush as I want. I still get lots of intact hulls though. Also I've never seen Sling Blade (gasp).

Also BTDT...now I have a grain mill with a motor instead of using a drill. Although I can't adjust the speed, so everything has to go through twice; once at a fairly wide gap, then again at a finer gap. I MIAB so I can go as fine on the crush as I want. I still get lots of intact hulls though. Also I've never seen Sling Blade (gasp).
Slingblade is a must.
Not just for the story, but the music and cinematography is unmatched.

Here is the it aint got no gas scene...

Ok, educate me here. Why does going in reverse produce metal shavings? Reading this has got me nervous about unknown damage to my mill. I use a powerful drill on my MM3. If the mill doesn’t bite right off the bat, I’ll reverse it for a second and try again. It normally takes grain through right away.

Ok, educate me here. Why does going in reverse produce metal shavings? Reading this has got me nervous about unknown damage to my mill. I use a powerful drill on my MM3. If the mill doesn’t bite right off the bat, I’ll reverse it for a second and try again. It normally takes grain through right away.
Sorry... no metal shavings, I meant when I opened it up I was expecting metal shavings, but everything was fine

Sorry... no metal shavings, I meant when I opened it up I was expecting metal shavings, but everything was fine

I just reread your post. Looks like my comment fits very well in this sling blade thread.

First time I used my EvilTwin, it chewed up the base of the grain feeder/hopper. I guess the flaps at the base were pretty tight on the rollers at the bottom. I figured the stainless was inert, so it still made beer, but I didn't use the grain for bread that batch. Stuff happens.

Back