Anchor pub in Salem, boo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcstout

Reaction score
Stopped by the Anchor pub in Salem yesterday while looking for a pint. They card everyone and only accept Mass. identification. Being from Michigan I dont have a Mass. form of id so no pint for me.
That sux.

People in the little, bitty states can get really paranoid about IDs. When you're an hour's drive from five other states, keep track of the variations can be a hassle. I've got a server's card in Oregon and there are five or six different driver's licenses, depending on when they were issued.

I would just get up and go somewhere else.

When I moved back to Cleveland there was a bar that I visited once (Once.) that said they wouldn't serve me because I had a California ID. I would have left but my friend who was playing there that night drove me so I could just up and leave.

So I threw a huge to do (not a hissy fit, but a WTF I'm pissed sort of thing) wanted to see the manager, etc etc. Keep in mind I'm 6 foot, have a deep voice, and at the time had heair down my back a a beard down to my colar bone....how many 20 year old and unders do you know like that? The bartender said she'd serve me but just don't tell her boss that she did (which I honered and didn't tell her boss). I tipped only $0.50 per pint.

It baffles me how bars can do that. They are turning away business and don't get me started on the down the line sort of thing by how many people I told about it after words. It's not like they don't know how to recognize a false out of state ID because the book of current ID's for each state was RIGHT there at the bar!

People in the little, bitty states can get really paranoid about IDs. When you're an hour's drive from five other states, keep track of the variations can be a hassle. I've got a server's card in Oregon and there are five or six different driver's licenses, depending on when they were issued.

I would just get up and go somewhere else.

We did but it nothing else was really open. And they had some local Old Ale that looked really good. Gonna check out Salem Beer Works tomorrow though so I can quit bitching.

I used to always have to deal with that **** when I go to Iowa. I always bring my passport as well as my Cali ID so that they can't pull that ****. Of course, this time I didn't get carded at all. Dammit...I must be getting old...

I remember my old college days, it was really common for people to make fakes from different states. Yeah, there is a book to show what the current state ID's look like, but what if the fake looks like the real current state ID? Back to square one.

Not saying what they did was right, but bottom line is that the bartender can get hit for thousands of dollars in fines, plus they'll lose their license (if they need one in their state) Bottom line, not worth it if they question it, even slightly.

Last time I had that happen- there happen to be a few cops eating dinner at the place. I asked one of them to verify my ID. my MILITARY ID. They told the bartender and manager that I was Kosher.

Dammit...I must be getting old...

I haven't been carded in years. In fact, I was visiting my son in Indiana (just turned 21 in September), and we went out to dinner. We both ordered beers, and the waitress carded my son, but not me...

My son is old enough to drink, and I don't even get carded? Now that makes me feel old.

Latest posts

Back