anchor christmas ale 2012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
Black lager spruce? Their porter is sweeter... this is very dry and clean with a piney bang and not a hoppy pine... I'm thinking spruce.

Love it!~ anybody else have a clue?

Don't think its a lager- I'd say more along the lines of a strong ale. Seems like Belgian yeast (something like Whitelabs Trappist or Belgian Strong?). The main flavor that comes through other than malt is nutmeg, though I can't tell if the spice comes from the yeast or from actual spice additions.
Dry with a surprisingly clean body (maybe this is where you are getting black lager from?) but it retains a pretty decent mouth-feel.
Bought a couple six pack back in December and loved it. My favorite edition yet (in the three years that I've known about Anchor Christmas ales). Just bought a six pack for a good bit more than I would usually spend on commercial beer, but I haven't seen it anywhere since January and didn't want to miss the chance to save a few for next year.

Would love to know if anyone has been working on a clone...

Just found some holdout 6ers at a gas station. I taste a hint of black licorice with a little spice in the background...maybe nutmeg or similar. I would describe it as a rich fruitcake thing going on in flavor and aroma, with the aroma highlighting the spicyness. Finishes clean like a lager, but absolutely not a lager.

I agree DarknMalty. Fruit cake fits it well.
One note- the ones I just picked up have mellowed out a good deal since January, but I'm not sure its as good as it was before. It seems to have lost some spice and even some body

Latest posts

Back