Anadama beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokipynes

Reaction score
I brewed up a recipe I got from a nearby LHBS that grabbed my interest. This is my 4th batch since starting and all the others have been from kits with adjunct grains. So far the results are interesting. Here is the recipe:

6 lbs. amber malt extract
2 lbs. wheat
1 lb. flaked maize
2 cups molasses
1 oz. Liberty pellet at start of boil
1 oz. Crystal 5 minutes before end
Safale 56 dry yeast

Steep grains at 155f for 40 minutes, add extract and bring to boil. The recipe called for only 15 minutes of boil and I stretched this out to 20. Cooled the wort to 70f and pitched the yeast which I rehydrated before starting the boil. I had a nice fermentation within hours and vigorous a couple of more hours and a nice odor in the room. Bubbles tapered down at the end of the third day and stopped completely. On day seven I racked to my carboy but neglected to get a hydrometer reading but assumed it was all done. Within hours I had action in the airlock and it has kept this up since at a slow but steady rate. I am getting about a bubble every 10 to 15 seconds.

I welcome any comments on the recipe and how you think it will turn out as well as guesses on why I had a restart of fermentaion in the secondary.

Doug

When I first posted this recipe and got no responses I was concerned that I had somehow brewed a disaster. I assumed that no response was everyones way of being polite about a pending bad beer. I am pleased to advise that this beer came out very nice and was what I was hoping for. I am not a great fan of many of the very hoppy beers and was looking to brew something a bit sweet and light on the hops. The beer has been in bottle since 11-19 and I took my first sample on Saturday and have had one each night. This beer has turned out very refreshing with plenty of complexity as well as a nice mouth feel. The color is a deep reddish brown and has the semi opaque nature of a wheat beer. The molasses is only in the background and even at this young age is not a powerful as I feared it might be until aged more. This is a beer that I will brew again.

Doug in NH

I used "Grandma's" original molasses. There is no indication of light or dark on the label. It happens to be the dominant brand in our area. I was also surprised based on what I have read in the posts of others involving molasses. It is definitely just a balanced part of this beer.

Sometimes posts slip through without a response but I don't think it means a pending disaster. Its just one of those things. Congrats on your success. You might yet get converted to hoppy beers, they certainly are some of my favorites.:)

rokipynes said:
I used "Grandma's" original molasses. There is no indication of light or dark on the label. It happens to be the dominant brand in our area. I was also surprised based on what I have read in the posts of others involving molasses. It is definitely just a balanced part of this beer.

Is it Green label or Yellow?

There is a difference, but I forgot what the label color means. I'll have to look once I get home.

It is the yellow label. Is the green label the sulphured or is that a sign of light vs dark?

[ Congrats on your success. You might yet get converted to hoppy beers, they certainly are some of my favorites]

Blender,

I do like some hoppy beers very much but am very particular about which hops. I love the Saz of Pilsner Urquell and have just brewed an ale with lots of Saz. It sits beside me in primary with a full ounce of Saz dry hopped awaiting bottling in the next few days. I don't have a place to lager so had to make this ale as close to a Pilsner as possible keeping my fingers crossed.
I also love Smutty Nose IPA as it has a very citrus note to the hops. That is another challenge to try to come close to a clone of that. Probably a project for late spring to make a ber for summer consumption.

I thought that some might like to get a review from my Anadama recipe. I furnished the beer for the SWMBO family Christmas get together. I brought along my Mad Dog Oatmeal Stout and the Anadama. The stout went OK for the brother in law that likes a heavier beer but all gave rave reviews for the Anadama. Two of the brothers in law are BMC drinkers almost exclusively but left the BMC alone all day and kept remarking how good the HB was. I may have converted one or more to the hobby. One said he had tried homebrewing but did not like his result. I will have to explore that more with him and maybe get him hooked on this forum for the advice.

Doug

Back