An unmitigated disaster worthy of praise...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Espressomattic

Reaction score
Well I decided to do a small all grain batch today. Went the LHBS but they had no pale ale malt, so being me I opted for crystal malts....only then to read that they are not great for releasing fermentables etc.

So I stead of waiting I went right ahead with very basic kit.

I have made 10 litres of very weak wort, so I chucked in a whole load of soft brown sugar. Going to ferment with Belgium yeast and hope for the best

I used 2.5kg of crystal.
23 grams of cascade at 60
30 grams of zythos at 10

Can't wait to see how bad this will be! So glad I don't take myself serious!!!

Trouble is if I get it into my head that I am going to do something I will. Also a firm believer that if you're going to make a train wreck, better make it a good one!

It's boiling away, looks like wort and smells like beer...I take everything and use it as a learning curve

SG was 1035

One that forgot to order any. Oh and their computer system died with all the stock. This was when they found out they didn't have it backed up...

Any idea what type of crystal? That could determine how much of a train wreck it actually turns out to be.

I think it was 20? The lightest one anyway. Just chilled and remeasured SG at 1060. Topped up to make it 10 litres and settles on 1045.

Still pretty new to brewing but loving it! Time for a non train wreck brew me thinks

Well it should be a fun experiment anyway! I always use 2 row as a base and then build the style with other grains. Grain bill is super low as well. I'm not even sure how you managed to hit 1.035. Let us know how the all crystal goes!

A guy on this site did an experiment mashing various levels of crystal malt (only crystal no base). Think he did a batch with 10L, 60L & 120L.

He ended up getting surprisingly high levels of conversion & attenuation. The lower L crystals fermented down in the the teens if i remember correctly. You might be surprised. Wish I had a link, it was interesting.

I think the reason comes from the fact that many (maybe all?) maltsters mix kilned malt with pale malt in certain proportions to get the correct L.

Edited to add...

Found a link to the thread where the guy documents his experiment.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/testing-fermentability-crystal-malt-208361/

At least it will still be beer, with some thick mouth feel. Truly would have been a disaster if it had been c120.

Wondering if with the Demerara sugar and Belgium yeast, it will turn out like some Frankenstein dubbel? But like you say sea bass - it will still be beer

Ok did a gravity reading today and it was.....

And the thing is still busy fermenting away. The taste was surprisingly ok. Very rich and sweet but the addition of zythos dry hops helped. Even the missus liked it

I am a bit confused about the really low gravity given the OG. Thoughts?

Still it is beer, tastes ok a cross between a Belgium, APA and a stout...

Hey sometimes, mistakes can be really really good!! :mug:

I stumbled on a couple of my best recipes because I couldn't secure the "Right" ingredients......The best thing is you already have low expectations for it....so it can only improve right!:)

The "load of soft brown sugar" could help explain getting the gravity down that far. How much did you add?

Go big or go home... I like your style.

I still can't believe they had NO base malt of any kind - munich? Maris Otter? And I can't belive no one working there niticed they were getting low...

I added 400g of sugar. What's that, just under a pound? I have measured FG again at 1005 Tasted the sample and yeah it was a reL "oh my gosh - that is good". At least know now just what crystal produces and I like it! I have found another supplier who has a lot of malts and is cheaper by mail order here in NZ.

Go big with no expectations...

Seriously though I do have standards this was a one off. Honest guv

At 16% of the total fermentables, the sugar helped, but it looks like you got some good conversion from the crystal to finish that dry. Cool experiment!

Ok a week in and. Cracked open a bottle. Really really dark and cloudy. The mouthfeel is ok - a little thick. The addition of the hops really helped. It really s more stout than anything really. Looks very unappetising.

I passed it to the wife and here are her comments:

Really deep and stouty with citrus tones. Too much floral going on at the minute.

So I think this will really benefit from a Long time sitting doing nothing. Zero head retention at the moment. Oh and not a good beer to have after a big meal. Can't move far now ;)

Back