An IPA for your consideration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyurboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing this today, and if anyone is on between now and when I brew it,
I would love any comments to make it a better beer...or to tell me I am
smoking crack and why the heck would I use ingredient A in an IPA.....

It is a pretty simple recipe, so there is not much that can be changed, but I
do have additional ingredients on hand if there is something that will improve
the malt or hops bills.

Thanks in advance for any advice! Cheers! :mug:

MyPA
14-B American IPA
Author: boyurboy

Size: 5.76 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%

Original Gravity: 1.064 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 12.55 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 6.27% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 57.1 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
11.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
2.0 lb Vienna Malt
1.0 lb Crystal Malt 60°L
2.0 oz Cascade (6.4%) - added during boil, boiled 50.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (6.4%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 oz Centennial (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (6.4%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 oz Centennial (8.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 ea Lallemand 3767 Nottingham

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3

The only thing I might do is use some of that centennial to bitter with, you'll get more bang for your buck that way but it looks good.

+1 to bittering with the centennial, but meh, it doesn't really matter much. I would also cut the dry hop in half and replace by tossing in some cascade as well. Centennial can be pretty pungent when dry hopping

I agee with moving your centennials to earlier and the boil, and moving your cascades to late in the boil and dry hopping. :mug:

I went with my original schedule for the boil hops....I will, however, probably dry hop with the cascades, and save the extra centennial for the next brew day. Thanks for the help!

Looks good to me. I would keep the dry hopping schedule, but I am a hophead. THe Nottingham will probably attentuate lower that 1.016....just my experience with it. I usually get beers in the 1.010 range with that yeast when starting around 1.065

I went with my original schedule for the boil hops....I will, however, probably dry hop with the cascades, and save the extra centennial for the next brew day. Thanks for the help!

Cascade and Centennial are great bed buddies in dry hopping. They compliment well, so as I said before, consider doing a 50/50 of them. Half oz each would work out just fine.

Latest posts

Back