An Eternity in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OblivionsGate

Reaction score
So I brewed up Orfy's hobgoblin, everything was normal, moved to secondary.... and then a whole bunch of crap came up.

Save an explanation, it has been in secondary since mid-January.

id say its fine, but i just thought i'd ask if that could be bad being in secondary for almost 5 months. :drunk:

Thanks, that is what i figured, but i wasn't sure if it would start to "skunk"

No update on the smell or taste, that's why its been in secondary so long! I'm hoping to bottle it this weekend, so i'll let you know
:mug:

If the beer has been in secondary for a long time and has cleared is there enough yeast is suspension for the beer to carb? My LHBS guy told me that I should stir my brown ale (which has been in secondary for just shy of a month) a little before bottling to ensure proper carbonation.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a batch of rye pale ale and apfelwein that's been in secondary since December I think. Lots of travel and job stuff........

I'm sure this will be the best beer I've ever made and I'll really regret not letting my batches mature this long in the future.

BierMuncher said:
Bill, I need a small dose of your patience.
It's really simple...you need to plan a schedule...or brew too much...you'll have to wait. ;)

I just know from experience that I can't rush a natural process and live with that. ;) In the meantime you can brew 3-4 ales and still have beer available.

I know like in prior years I was on the road over 20 weeks and still managed to brew over 30 and 40 batches.

Who knows what's going to happen (brew wise) after I retire next ('09)summer...:rockin: :mug:

Back