An attempt at emulating a Hudson Valley Sour (milkshake?) IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those of you that might not have heard of Hudson Valley, The seem to specialize in one thing, Sour IPA's. Nearly all of them have the following in common:

Raw/flaked Wheat, flaked or malted oats, Milk sugar (lactose), vanilla, 1-2 verities of usual suspect hops and a blend of 1 or 2 fruit puree's.

Jokes about "is this even beer at this point" aside, i put together this recipe based of of a bunch of different recipes, from kettle sours to hazy ipa's

Trip-Sicle - Sour IPA with Milk sugar, Vanilla, Passion fruit Hopped with Cashmere and Idaho-7

For about a 3.4gal BIAB batch (really a 3gal batch + 0.4gal addition of puree)

59.9% - 5lb - Lamonta: Mecca grade Pale ale malt
12% - 1lb - Shaniko: Mecca grade White Wheat
12% - 1lb - Flaked Wheat
6% - 8oz - Flaked oats
6% - 8oz - Vanora: Mecca grade Vienna malt
4.2% - 5.6oz Lactose (boil addition @0min)

Mash at 152*f for 60min
Kettle sour with Bootleg Biology Sour weapon L at 85*f until 3.5ph is reached (about 24hr)

Boil for 60 mins - No additions until flame out

They rarely ever list an IBU for their beers and with them being sour, i don't expect a bittering addition or anything even half way through the boil.

at 0 mins
20g - Cashmere
20g - Idaho-7
2 split vanilla beans
5.5oz Lactose

steep for 30 mins

Chill and pitch 1pk Lalbrew - New England East coast ale
ferment at 70*f until terminal gravity

Transfer to secondary and add 1 can - 49oz/3lb Passionfruit puree
Let that sit for at least a week and keg

Dry hop in the keg with 20g ea Cashmere and Idaho-7

The Grist was based off on my best NEIPA recipe as well as accounting for everything Hudson valley describes, with how hazy they are i decided to push the total wheat pretty high.

The vanilla, lactose and Hop amounts were based off of Home brew for life's Orange cream sicle Milkshake ipa recipe, which i have made and it's very well balanced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnK8XaSsYd8&t=491s

Their kettle sour Peach Berliner recipe also helped.

If anyone has tried to make anything like this, feel free to share what you did for water chemistry, Hopping rates, yeast choice, or anything else. I should be brewing this within the week, ill be posting the results here with how it goes.

They rarely ever list an IBU for their beers and with them being sour, i don't expect a bittering addition or anything even half way through the boil.

at 0 mins
20g - Cashmere
20g - Idaho-7
2 split vanilla beans
5.5oz Lactose

steep for 30 mins
Do their beers taste bitter to you? You will get a significant amount of bitterness with a 30 minute hop stand.

For what it's worth, I would co-pitch instead of kettle souring. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/fast-souring-modern-methods.670176/
Hop tea toward the tail end of fermentation is great.

I also generally prefer to make a tincture for vanilla and add it to taste.

I think your plan looks pretty reasonable overall.
:mug:

Do their beers taste bitter to you? You will get a significant amount of bitterness with a 30 minute hop stand.

For what it's worth, I would co-pitch instead of kettle souring. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/fast-souring-modern-methods.670176/
Hop tea toward the tail end of fermentation is great.

I also generally prefer to make a tincture for vanilla and add it to taste.

I think your plan looks pretty reasonable overall.
:mug:

There is a bitterness note for sure, more than a Berliner or gose, but less than a regular NEIPA. I have this built around 25ibu considering my real world AA%. I was considering doing a steep at maybe 150-180 instead of at flame out. The main reason i wanted to do a kettle sour process is because of the hop presence and it inhibiting the lacto. (and i've already had a good amount of success with my kettle sour set up)

It is entirely possible that they don't do a kettle sour process at all and just use dry hops. but unfortunately they haven't done much in the ways of interviews, let alone answering process questions.

That being said, i'm definitely going to dig into your quick sour process. And i'm probably going to go for the vanilla tincture instead of the boil steep. i did that for my porter and the vanilla note was perfect.

It just depends on your taste how much bitterness you want. Lowering the hop stand to under 170-ish will largely (but not completely) prevent added hop bitterness, so you might achieve a "bitterness note" just with that (or alternately with hop tea).

If you want to try co-souring, it's not difficult to add a lot of hop presence. You just add hop tea and/or dry hops after it reaches the desired pH. In my experience, hop tea is actually a lot more flavorful (awesome) than pre-fermentation hops and dry hopping. I can't think of any advantage to kettle souring, even for a beer like this.
Fine with me if you want to go that route though. It's all good.

Aside from the lactose I think this beer sounds really good. I'm a sucker for vanilla and passion fruit is one of the very few fruits that I like in beer (along with cherry and peach).

Back