Amp/volt meter wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EyeofdaHawk

Reaction score
Hi all

My electric control build progresses slowly. I'm basically wiring straight from the electric brewery instructions with modifications for different set up and components.

Wonder if anyone can assist me. I need to wire up the volt/amp meter. It is this one: https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_50&products_id=490

I've wired the hot in (to the bus and SSR - straight from the coil) through the amp meter ring. As for the volt wires, i'm unsure where to go. My setup is basically the same as the 240v electric brewery setup. It's really unclear how to do it as i have 4 elements.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Hawk

Thought i should also add, build so far:
20171105_145707.jpg 20171213_095715 (2).jpg

If you want to measure all current your setup uses just wire the hot incoming from your supply through the ring.

Hi all

My electric control build progresses slowly. I'm basically wiring straight from the electric brewery instructions with modifications for different set up and components.

Wonder if anyone can assist me. I need to wire up the volt/amp meter. It is this one: https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_50&products_id=490

I've wired the hot in (to the bus and SSR - straight from the coil) through the amp meter ring. As for the volt wires, i'm unsure where to go. My setup is basically the same as the 240v electric brewery setup. It's really unclear how to do it as i have 4 elements.

Hawk

What I did with a similar powermeter was wire it to the incoming power source after the power switch of the control panel, and connecting the CT to it (the CT is a Cylinder like Current Transformer which read the current in a Line. Chose L1 (Red one).

Last edited:
Even if the Hot wire to the SSR doesn't go through the hot bus?

If you don't have both legs of 240 on their own buss, then not necessarily.

Say you have a black, red, white and green feeding power into the panel. If you want to measure the incoming 240V, connect the leads of the meter to the same terminals where the incoming black and red are connected. Polarity does not matter: just one lead to each.

Hi all

Hawk
run the switched power to the red and black power wires and put the two wired coming from the donut to the green connector, run both of your main power wires through the donut if I remember right and it senses the current for amps.

Even if the Hot wire to the SSR doesn't go through the hot bus?
You put the wires through the ring before they go to the bus. it will still measure the total 240v amp draw this way... if you have have 120v and 240v devices than you need two meters to see the accurate draw of both so ive been told.
If you only want the meter to see what power the single element is drawing then just put both power wires going to the element plug through the ring. the point is it measures the power going through the ring.

I used to use this same meter but swapped it out for one of these which gives you actuall watt usage as well as total kwh which is cool to see what kind of costs are actually involved in brewing a batch...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-80-260V-0-100A-LCD-Digital-Combo-Panel-Display-Volt-Amp-Power-Watt-Meter/322689141445?hash=item4b21c58ac5:g:X60AAOSwSlBYwP6p

Just mentioning it because the auberins site only seems to carry the older types,
its from the same maker and wires up the same.

I have this one in my newest panel and it works well too,
https://www.ebay.com/p/Chic-AC-80-300v-100a-Ct-LCD-Digital-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Amp-Power-kWh-Panel-Meter-Ac80-300v-100a/2174963742?iid=263334938711&_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=41376&meid=f6a91e23547c45a1a55340edf4381f52&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&mehot=lo&sd=322689141445&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Last edited:
See how the WIT-114 is Wired : Voltage in it's Voltage input and CT in it's CT input, it should Display : Voltage (VAC), Current (AMP), Power (KW) & Energy (KWh).

Attachments

• Capture d'écran 2017-12-19 13.09.37.png
    Capture d'écran 2017-12-19 13.09.37.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_6808.JPG
    IMG_6808.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 69
run the switched power to the red and black power wires and put the two wired coming from the donut to the green connector, run both of your main power wires through the donut if I remember right and it senses the current for amps.
No, no, no. Only one of the 240V hot wires goes thru the donut. If you run both wires thru the donut, it measures the difference in current between the two wires. The difference will not be zero if you run any 120V loads in/from your panel. Just where you put the donut depends on whether you want to just measure current used by the element, or current used by pumps and other as well. If you want to measure total current use, and you have 120V loads attached to both hot lines (eg for load balancing) then measuring total current requires more than one meter.

Brew on :mug:

No, no, no. Only one of the 240V hot wires goes thru the donut. If you run both wires thru the donut, it measures the difference in current between the two wires. The difference will not be zero if you run any 120V loads in/from your panel. Just where you put the donut depends on whether you want to just measure current used by the element, or current used by pumps and other as well. If you want to measure total current use, and you have 120V loads attached to both hot lines (eg for load balancing) then measuring total current requires more than one meter.

Brew on :mug:
guess I didnt remember right... funny thing because I couldnt remember if that was the case or not. thanks for clearing it up.

Back