Amp meter cuts out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milldoggy

Reaction score
All,
I have a kal clone panel and for the life of me cant keep my amp meter working, The transformer keeps overheating it looks like. When I put a new doorbell transformer in, it works for 5 minutes, then stops. The AC/DC converter stops getting power. You think maybe I have a bad AC/DC converter that is causing the transformer to overheat somehow?

Thats probably your case. When I blew my first ampmeter, I disconnected the meter from the AC/DC converter to see if that was atleast good yet. When I turned the panel on to check it, the doorbell transformer got so hot I couldn't even touch it within about 2 minutes.
Tom

Darn Chinese products. Thanks Tom.

You brewing yet? Doing a RIS today.

Dry fired my BK element :( I thought I swapped the pump cables, but it pulled the elements instead(no coffee yet) My BK was on dry for about 30 secs. Element is still kicking, cleaned it up nicely, had to scrub soot off of it though. Smelled bad.

If you want I can pull one of my converters off and you can try it to be sure. Not brewing yet. Working on my mount for the chiller now (polyurethane coats). Hope to have that mounted by the end of te weekend. Placing an order from mcmaster to make a hopblocker as well. Still need pumps which I'm waiting on chugger to release their center outlet. And last but not least, the 240 line. Still on schedule for sometime in January for the inauguration.
Tom

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

I will just order another, they are cheap.

What are you ordering for a hop stopper? Stainless screen? Can I get in on that order. Been thinking about trying one.

Yeah, stainless screen. I was going to go with two 12" square sheets of 90/90 mesh. If you need about the same size we can do a 24" square sheet. Let me know what you need.
Tom

yea, my bk is a keggle, so even smaller would be fine. Let me know what I would owe you. How are you going to weave it?

Well 12" will make a smaller screen the way I'm planning to do mine. Plan to roll the edges over each other to form a seal then use stainless pop rivets to hold it all together. When the edges are folded tight, that should make it plenty sturdy and will probably even hold together with that. Pop rivets are just for insurance for the long run. I plan to cut mine into a disc so a 12" disc done this way should yield about a 10-11" finished screen, depending on how much of the ends i have to roll.
Tom

Back