Amount of trub and sediment in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexy_sm

Reaction score
Hi all guys,

I wanted to ask you, how much trub and sediment is in your primary fermentors few hours after pitching. I think that I usually have a lot. Probably due to the fact that I don't wait enough before cold wort clarifies. Another question ism do you mix wort with immersion chiller duting chilling?

Here is the trub in my primary 7 or 8 hours after pitching.
IMG_20141224_154755.jpg

Merry Christmas!

I get quite a bit of sediment and I do biab. Because I do BIAB I mill my grain finer than if I were using a mash tun, so maybe that adds to the amount of sediment. I do mix the wort with my immersion chiller to speed up the cooling process.

The amount of trub will vary depending on how you brew, (bag the hops?) your equipment and the recipe. Yours looks normal. Don't leave the beer in that fermenter too long. That is a lot of head space. If you do just a primary I wouldn't go past 2 weeks. If you do a secondary, get a smaller vessel.

I do BIAB, mill fine, and have been dumping the whole kettle into the fermenter lately. It's not unusual for me to have 1/2 - 3/4 gallon of trub in a 5-gallon bucket at the end of primary.

If you want clearer wort you can always whirlpool after chilling. I tilt the kettle up slightly on a folded towel, stir vigorously for several minutes to get a good whirlpool going (helps aerate, too), then cover the kettle and wait about 15 minutes for all the trub to settle. Then I siphon from the higher edge of the kettle into the fermenter. Using Whirlfloc/Irish Moss helps a lot here. You get very clear wort into the fermenter this way, though I've not noticed any improvement in the beer. Some experiments actually claim you get clearer beer if you dump the kettle into the fermenter.

I stir the wort continuously with a giant spoon while chilling. It vastly speeds up the process.

After cooling my wort as cold as is practical, I use two paint strainers stacked on top of each other and strain the wort through them. It takes out all but the smallest amount of trub, and I don't lose any wort volume to speak of; maybe two ounces in total. When I was a new brewer, I would lose a gallon or more due to leaving the trub-wort in the bucket.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

The amount of trub will vary depending on how you brew, (bag the hops?) your equipment and the recipe. Yours looks normal. Don't leave the beer in that fermenter too long. That is a lot of head space. If you do just a primary I wouldn't go past 2 weeks. If you do a secondary, get a smaller vessel.

Curious since all the oxygen will be used up in the first coulpe days why does it matter if that is left as the primary for more than two weeks in this case?

There is really no need for secondary. There is a CO2 blanket on top of your wort, and if you leave it undisturbed your wort will be fine. If it were me, I would wait until it clears, cold crash it and rack off of it to bottling.

I normally dump my wort through a large strainer as I'm pouring into my fermentation bucket...I still end up with a good bit of trub, but as far as I can tell, it's never had any impact on my beer.

I ferment 2 1/2 gallons in a 6 1/2 gallon bucket fermenter. I've left a batch for as long as 9 weeks and usually go 3 to 4 weeks. There is no problem with a large headspace in the primary, only when you rack to secondary. Since secondaries are not necessary for most beers that hasn't been a problem.

Back