Amount of hops, in grams, per gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nebraskan

Assoc. Winemaker
Reaction score
I don't like my beer too bitter, but hops are a necessary part of the beer. What is the amount of, say, Cascade hops (Alpha 6.3%, Beta 6.6%) to the wort during the boil, figuring the amount per gallon? I have read that adding at the preboil and then some at the end of the boil is a good rule of thumb.

I also have a small bit of Hallertau (3.8 Alpha) and Crystal (4.8% Alpha) besides the Cascade. Making a dark beer from Briess CBW Special Dark liquid malt extract.

The bitterness threshold is sort of relative for each person unless you are meaning all IPAs or double IPAs are not your thing. I brew an amber ale that uses 2 ounces of Cascade for 60 minutes in the boil and 1 ounce of Cascade at 1 minute left in the boil for flavor/aroma. This is for 5 gallons of beer. I don't consider it too bitter but you might.

Using a recipe builder might help to quantify the bitterness level with a number. I use this recipe builder quite often.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator

This is the link to all of Northern Brewers recipes that can be used as a reference.
https://www.northernbrewer.com/learn/beer-recipe/

Hope this helps some.

Edit: The recipe builder can be used to automatically scale a recipe for a different volume of finished beer.

I am SO glad for that link as my gallons of water was off in my calculations. for the 1 can of Briess CBW Special Dark I needed to use only about 2.4 gal of water not the 3.25 I had originally thought. formula is target SG divide by the malt SG per pound per gallon and Briess is 1.035 SG with 1 gallon of water. after the math (and drop the 1 as that is just water SG you have 0.050 / 0.035 = 1.428 and that is you factor. You need 1.428 pounds of LME to achieve a SG of 1.050 in 1 gallon of water. Now, if you want to figure out how much water you need with a container of 3.3 lbs of Briess, then you take 3.3 and divide it by 1.428 to get how much water is needed eg. 3.3/1.428=2.31 gallons of water. I wanted to make it around 3 gallons for my 3 gallon glass carboy so I added 1 lb of DME Dark Briess to the mix and came up with a S.G. of 1.050 using 3.25 gallons of water. By the time I got done boiling the SG had risen to 1.054 so I diluted just a bit with water down to 1.050. (after cold break and aerating.
Added ale yeast and now we wait and see. Oh, and I added 12 g of Cascade hops at around 170 degrees and then added 12 g of Cascade hops (both pelleted) at the end of 1 hour and boiled an additional 15 minutes. I put those last in a stainless Steel tea strainer and that was not the brightest idea. I dropped in the strainer, and all went well, but when cleaning out the strainer it was all swollen and pretty much a solid mass. So I don't think I got the full benefit of the aroma aspect of the hops since they did not get really exposed to the wort.

I used Safale US - 05 ale yeast.

If you don't like bitter beer, don't use hops at the bittering stage (i.e. no hops until flameout). Or you can try FWH (first wort hopping), where you put a small amount in the kettle as you are collecting your sparge runoff (say 0.5 to 1 oz).

Personally I do not like bitter IPAs either, and have moved to a strict no-hops boil routine. I add 3oz at flamout, 3oz at whirlpool for 20min, then 3oz in dry hop. Works great for me.

Back