amount of honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koniowsky717

Reaction score
So im doing my first mead on sunday (traditional) and my original recipe was
5gal batch
16lbs honey
2packs of yeast
12.5 go-ferm
20g fermaid-o
-im going for an SG of 1.115 to end up with a mead around 14%

as i was buying all my supplies, the guy said i should make 5.5gal of must to make sure i have enough to fill the secondary.
using the calculator this comes out to-
18lbs honey
3packs yeast
18.75g go-ferm
22g fermaid-o

I basically want a professional to give me the go ahead on this recipe lol

I ended up with what looked like around 5.3 gals and used just about the whole 18lbs of honey. Tried to take a hydrometer reading and i couldn't really read it due to foam It looked like it was between 1.1 and 1.12.. Is this good, or am i about to have a pretty strong nasty tasting mead

You should be good. You should read up on staggered nutrient additions. Depending upon temperature and a few other things, you may have to wait 6 to 8 months but shouldn't have a whole lot of hot flavors.

Yes, i am doing SNA with fermaid-o.. adding around 6g the first 3 days then 5g on day 6 or 7

@koniowsky717, I was wondering how has this receipt been going. I was looking at your receipt and it looks pretty good and about the ABV % I was looking at. I will be looking at it being a little sweet was I was not sure if you had to back sweeten it? I may have missed it but what kind of yeast did you use, I was looking at Lalvin EC-1118, which is why I was figuring I would have to back sweeten the mead.

@koniowsky717, I was wondering how has this receipt been going. I was looking at your receipt and it looks pretty good and about the ABV % I was looking at. I will be looking at it being a little sweet was I was not sure if you had to back sweeten it? I may have missed it but what kind of yeast did you use, I was looking at Lalvin EC-1118, which is why I was figuring I would have to back sweeten the mead.
I used lalvin 71b-1122, 1118 will make a sg with 1.115 go completely dry..

my mead stopped fermenting at 1.010, which is right were the 71b should stop at about 14%. I prefer it on the dry side, so its perfect for me. It already taste pretty good, only being in secondary around 2 weeks. Not even close to clear though. I do plan on doing this batch again but raising the OG to about 1.140and using 1118 to get ABV of 18% with FG at around 1.010

If you want yours sweeter, you can try raising the OG to around 1.120 using 71b or backsweeting in secondary

Thanks, I don't mind the ABV of 18%, and right now I just got the 1118. I think I will try your OG 1.140 with the 1118, and back sweeten in the secondary. I believe if I need to I can back sweeten more if I need to. Thanks, and have a great new year.

Latest posts

Back