Amoretti craft purees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am getting ready to add some to a raspberry wheat for my father-in-law. It was a 10 gallon batch. Going to add 8 oz of raspberry. This is my first time doing this so hopefully it will work out! If I remember, I will report back in a month or so to let you know how it turned out.

I have used over a dozen of their different flavors over the last few years. They do lots of different lines suitable for brewing (compounds, swirls, artisan, and the purees that you mentioned. You have to account for the sugar content if added at bottling time, or just add it after primary fermentation and allow it enough time to fully ferment out. I happen to have a pineapple kolsch on tap right now, and just packaged a hazelnut brown as well. Both turned out great, and each used an Amoretti product in the recipe.

Raspberry is one flavour I think I would opt to use the real fruit. I feel it comes through fairly intense, even at 1/2# per gallon. I have had good luck cold crashing to drop the fruit to the bottom. Some of the flavors from Amoretti can come through as fake, or can linger on the palate for an unrealistically long time. I tend to use Amoretti as a boost to flavor from a subtle fruit addition, or in the case of unattainable fruits, or certain fruits and nuts which require too much processing that I'd rather not do.

Passionfruit and hazelnut were both intense and recognizable immediately. Both linger on the palette though which you may or may not enjoy. The pineapple and strawberry I found to be quite subtle, but worked excellent alongside the real fruit. This was my favourite use of amoretti. The fruit I used in each case did not come through to the level I wanted, but after the amoretti, it seemed to compliment the real fruit addition just perfectly. Mango was great, blueberry I personally found to be a little fake tasting, and the blood orange just did not really pair with the beer I used it in. Overall I have been very happy with them, just add to taste. The times I haven't enjoyed the beer was due to adding too much. The flavor did not seem to diminish over time either. Again, add to taste!... and I'm sure you will end up with a great beer no matter which route you take. Good luck.

Wow thanks for the amazing write up! I gotta ask, have you tried doing a Berliner Weisse with flavor? If so can you share a recipe?

I have used over a dozen of their different flavors over the last few years. They do lots of different lines suitable for brewing (compounds, swirls, artisan, and the purees that you mentioned. You have to account for the sugar content if added at bottling time, or just add it after primary fermentation and allow it enough time to fully ferment out. I happen to have a pineapple kolsch on tap right now, and just packaged a hazelnut brown as well. Both turned out great, and each used an Amoretti product in the recipe.

Raspberry is one flavour I think I would opt to use the real fruit. I feel it comes through fairly intense, even at 1/2# per gallon. I have had good luck cold crashing to drop the fruit to the bottom. Some of the flavors from Amoretti can come through as fake, or can linger on the palate for an unrealistically long time. I tend to use Amoretti as a boost to flavor from a subtle fruit addition, or in the case of unattainable fruits, or certain fruits and nuts which require too much processing that I'd rather not do.

Passionfruit and hazelnut were both intense and recognizable immediately. Both linger on the palette though which you may or may not enjoy. The pineapple and strawberry I found to be quite subtle, but worked excellent alongside the real fruit. This was my favourite use of amoretti. The fruit I used in each case did not come through to the level I wanted, but after the amoretti, it seemed to compliment the real fruit addition just perfectly. Mango was great, blueberry I personally found to be a little fake tasting, and the blood orange just did not really pair with the beer I used it in. Overall I have been very happy with them, just add to taste. The times I haven't enjoyed the beer was due to adding too much. The flavor did not seem to diminish over time either. Again, add to taste!... and I'm sure you will end up with a great beer no matter which route you take. Good luck.
Wow

I've got a Pineapple milkshake NEIPA finishing up it's primary fermentation right now. I have the Amoretti super concentrated puree, and was planning on just dosing the keg with 4 ounces when I rack the beer over. I was worried putting it in while still fermenting I would lose some pineapple flavor to the yeast, and/or the trub. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

The pineapple kolsch I made (and sadly all gone now) used both real pineapple and a puree from amoretti. Pineapple can be a tricky flavour to bring forward so I would recommend drawing off an uncarbonated sample first and blend to taste to figure out an amount to use. The ratio for 4oz in 5gal would be equal to 1 gram in 166ml. I used 4oz of what sounds like the same puree as well as 2.5# of pineapple chunks added after fermentation and allowed to sit for 2 weeks warm in my kolsch. The pineapple flavour was quite prominent but it was a clean beer to begin with. To bring the pineapple forward in a beer with lots of hops might require a little more puree perhaps, all a matter of personal taste though. That product contains fermentable sugars I am quite sure, so ideally you would let it ferment for another week or so. Seeing as how summer weather is here now, adding it at kegging and keeping your keg extra cold is a second and wonderful option. A lot of the NE style yeasts would not be active at colder temps so nothing I would really worry about. Make sure it is cold before you add the puree though, don't give it a chance to ferment at all if you go this route.

Sounds like a great beer! What hops did you go with?

I am getting ready to add some to a raspberry wheat for my father-in-law. It was a 10 gallon batch. Going to add 8 oz of raspberry. This is my first time doing this so hopefully it will work out! If I remember, I will report back in a month or so to let you know how it turned out.
Some feedback on this. The Amoretti Raspberry appears to be far superior than the Brewers Best or similar flavorings. There is no astringent fake aftertaste detected. Father-in-law was very happy although we may pull back on the 4 oz added to each 5 gal batch.

MT

I used 8 oz (by weight...roughly 1/3 of a bottle) of their Blood Orange craft puree in a slightly hoppy wheat I brewed back in June. It came out great and was a crowd favorite. I still have some on tap and while its completely dropped bright and you can't tell it's a wheat, the flavor is still very pleasant and the orange flavor really comes through. I think again I could have used 1/4 bottle and still really enjoyed the results.

I used one small bottle of the grapefruit craft purée in a 5 gallon batch of gose and it turned out great. Adding it to the keg, transferred on top and immediately chilled. Entered into a comp and it did very well. Pissed I only got two bottles at homebrew con when I literally could’ve had a table full

I used one small bottle of the grapefruit craft purée in a 5 gallon batch of gose and it turned out great. Adding it to the keg, transferred on top and immediately chilled. Entered into a comp and it did very well. Pissed I only got two bottles at homebrew con when I literally could’ve had a table full

Question on that homebrew con bottle of grapefruit. Did you use all 8.5 oz of that in your 5 gallons? I've a kegged 3G American Wheat and trying to figure out the dosing.

I know you added to a gose, but could you tell if the grapefruit added more "pucker" or more "sweet"? Wife really likes those Shofferhofer hefes with grapefruit so trying to mix this in to get something closer to that (which is kinda sugary sweet grapefruit.

Question on that homebrew con bottle of grapefruit. Did you use all 8.5 oz of that in your 5 gallons? I've a kegged 3G American Wheat and trying to figure out the dosing.

I know you added to a gose, but could you tell if the grapefruit added more "pucker" or more "sweet"? Wife really likes those Shofferhofer hefes with grapefruit so trying to mix this in to get something closer to that (which is kinda sugary sweet grapefruit.

Yes, I used all 8.5 oz in 5 gallons. It has a slight sugary note to it. Worked perfect for the gose. Placed second in a bjcp comp in sour category and all said the grapefruit flavor was spot on

They do have a coconut craft puree. I just used it in a NEIPA that I hopped with Sabro and Bru-1. I used 10 oz. by weight (1/3 bottle) added to the keg. It's amazing. I'm going to have a hard time keeping this one on draft.
Thanks i wish i could buy it here, hopefully soon. I would love to try it.

When is the best time to infuse a home brew with craft puree?

I was considering it during my cold crash or in the keg.

Any thoughts?

When is the best time to infuse a home brew with craft puree?

I was considering it during my cold crash or in the keg.

Any thoughts?
I typically add the flavoring to the keg and rack on top of it. Be sure to shake the keg or stir it gently to get it off the bottom.

MT

I agree, this stuff is so refined it can be mixed right in the keg, no sense to do it earlier. And for a closed transfer to a purged keg one could use a large plastic syringe to inject the "puree" through the hose port of a nekkid gas disconnect and not do damage.

Otoh, an actual puree has enough solids (and seeds unless removed) that it would best not make it to the keg lest it plug up poppets and make an unsightly mess in the glass. Today I racked 10 gallons of wheat beer onto 9 pounds of home made raspberry puree (from frozen, processed then warmed up and treated with pectinase for half the day). When I keg this in a few days I'll do a closed transfer with a fine mesh screen at the end of the racking tube to grab anything chunky.

Here's one of the carboys. Color looks promising once all the debris is crashed out...

raspberry_wheat_1_06sm.jpg

Cheers!

Curious if anyone has had any problems with bottle bombs when using the Amoretti Craft Puree? I normally keg all my beers but have a buddy who wants me to brew a Watermelon Wheat and I don't want to give him exploding bottles.

Curious if anyone has had any problems with bottle bombs when using the Amoretti Craft Puree? I normally keg all my beers but have a buddy who wants me to brew a Watermelon Wheat and I don't want to give him exploding bottles.

I’d be worried about bottle bombs given the time and temp needed to naturally carbonate and the sugars present in the purée.

Any idea when to add the coconut puree? Its seems really solid and did not mix well in a glass?

Back