Hop Trading/Breeding Programs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender_Braus_Brewing

Reaction score
Not sure how this all works, but has people done any breeding/trading of hop seed/rhizome projects? To get some of the rarer (not copyrighted/patented) breeds that don't always grow in their areas and tried to get them to grow?

Has anyone had any success doing that?

A number of people here have grown hops from seeds, with varying levels of selection.

A number of people here have grown hops from seeds, with varying levels of selection.

I'd be interested in trying to get some hop seeds/rhizomes that are similar to Mosaic, Simcoe, Galaxy, and the one Troegs used for Lollihop (the name is currently not working in my head, it was a designation number/letter though not a real named one yet). But I know these are all proprietary so I'd be interested in growing ones SIMILAR to them.

You know, Mosaic hops, Simcoe hops, etc... it takes thousands of seedlings and about ten years to finally get a new cultivar worthy of the name.
all this represents a work, time and an enormous amount of space for all these seedlings.

"tu sais, les houblons Mosaïque, Simcoe etc ... il faut des milliers de semis et une dizaine de minutes pour un dernier cultivar obtenir un nouveau cultivar digne de ce nom.
tout ça représente un travail, du temps et énormément de place pour tous ces semis.

Any hop similar enough to a patented hop is likely to get patented itself.

There are quite a lot of public cultivars, though, including a few promising new ones. Maybe try experimenting with those, and discovering new things, instead of trying to find "something like what already exists but free of rights"?

A few of us here grow hops by seeds, but if you've got a target aroma before you even get your hands on any seeds, odds are you'll be disappointed. Aroma is unpredictable.

I'd be interested in trying to get some hop seeds/rhizomes that are similar to Mosaic, Simcoe, Galaxy, and the one Troegs used for Lollihop (the name is currently not working in my head, it was a designation number/letter though not a real named one yet). But I know these are all proprietary so I'd be interested in growing ones SIMILAR to them.

You and every hop breeding company in the world!

As has been noted, if other companies breed anything close to the star HBC varieties then it tends to get patented itself, so there's not a lot out there that's similar, unpatented and at all easy to get hold of, such breeding material tends to be held deep in the bowels of the breeding companies as it's the source of their competitive advantage. Most of the "sexy" hops tend to be second-generation ones at least, so you've had one round of breeding and selection to create the mother and father, and then you might be selecting 1 in 10,000 of their offspring, with help from DNA markers and the like to try and reduce the number of plants that must be grown on. It's a complicated job.

If you want to do it yourself, most of the sexy varieties have quite a lot of noble hop in their pedigree, plus typically some high-alpha DNA and a bit of Northern Brewer or other Wye hop for disease resistance. So for instance Citra is the result of incest between two offspring of Mittelfruh from different fathers, with some US Tettnanger (a Fuggle derivative?), Brewer's Gold and Golding in there as well. Galaxy is the daughter of an Australian high-alpha female and a son of Perle, Mosaic the daughter of Simcoe and a son of Nugget.

It looks like Lollihop currently uses Citra, Mosaic and Azacca (formerly known as ADHA 483). Azacca's grandmothers are Northern Brewer and Summit.

So you've got some work to do. One bright spot is that the patents on both Simcoe and Amarillo are about to expire, which will shake things up a bit. The rules also vary between countries - for instance most of the modern German varieties like Mandarina and Hallertau Blanc can be bought by homebrewers in Germany, but not outside.

You and every hop breeding company in the world!

As has been noted, if other companies breed anything close to the star HBC varieties then it tends to get patented itself, so there's not a lot out there that's similar, unpatented and at all easy to get hold of, such breeding material tends to be held deep in the bowels of the breeding companies as it's the source of their competitive advantage. Most of the "sexy" hops tend to be second-generation ones at least, so you've had one round of breeding and selection to create the mother and father, and then you might be selecting 1 in 10,000 of their offspring, with help from DNA markers and the like to try and reduce the number of plants that must be grown on. It's a complicated job.

If you want to do it yourself, most of the sexy varieties have quite a lot of noble hop in their pedigree, plus typically some high-alpha DNA and a bit of Northern Brewer or other Wye hop for disease resistance. So for instance Citra is the result of incest between two offspring of Mittelfruh from different fathers, with some US Tettnanger (a Fuggle derivative?), Brewer's Gold and Golding in there as well. Galaxy is the daughter of an Australian high-alpha female and a son of Perle, Mosaic the daughter of Simcoe and a son of Nugget.

It looks like Lollihop currently uses Citra, Mosaic and Azacca (formerly known as ADHA 483). Azacca's grandmothers are Northern Brewer and Summit.

So you've got some work to do. One bright spot is that the patents on both Simcoe and Amarillo are about to expire, which will shake things up a bit. The rules also vary between countries - for instance most of the modern German varieties like Mandarina and Hallertau Blanc can be bought by homebrewers in Germany, but not outside.

Hmmm, thats all very interesting, thanks for the education on the lineages of them. Is there a site with a listing of pedigrees/lineages at all?

Is there a site with a listing of pedigrees/lineages at all?

A lot of the sexy hops either have their pedigrees witheld (I don't think they've ever said what Simcoe is for instance) or refer to codenamed parents that aren't publicly available. You can find some information buried in patent applications and the like, but you won't get a lot more than what's in these charts :
upload_2019-6-5_13-44-13.jpeg

upload_2019-6-5_13-44-28.png

A lot of the sexy hops either have their pedigrees witheld (I don't think they've ever said what Simcoe is for instance) or refer to codenamed parents that aren't publicly available. You can find some information buried in patent applications and the like, but you won't get a lot more than what's in these charts :
View attachment 629866
View attachment 629867

Wow!!!
Thanks!!!!!

What I think the gentleman was trying to say is if we all collectively can get together we can come up with and create some fantastic hops. Together (not without a lot of work) time and money...

What we all (well most) have in common is our love to grow hops and the use them in brewing ales and lagers. we are at a huge disadvantage both monetarily not to mention time it takes as most people on these boards are not geneticist, botanists or large scale hop farmers.

But our strength is our Passion for growing hops and brewing excellent beers with them. We can pool our resources together. Share genetics, space etc.
Me for example we have a lot of acreage that we can use for this project. I do not have a lot of funds that I can throw at this at the moment as I'm already pretty strapped with opening up a very small tap house.

I find the hardest part on my behalf is infrastructure we have a very small hop yard 1/4 Acre. From what I can tell based on what we've already built out a quarter acre hop yard cost anywhere from 8k to $12000. Depending on how affordable Poles, cables, anchors, hardware, drip, PVC, water tank. We use organic materials bat guanos compost teas for our fertilizer. this might not be the right path for everyone but we feel like it. And we feel it produces a better product having to spray less for pesky insects. Again using neem oil to treat our plants.

My background with breeding has come from rabbits mainly my grandmaw being Paramount to that. she invented 3 new breeds of rabbit. and some family friends who grow and breed their own fruit trees.

I have been Hovering around these boards as a guest trying to see what others are doing and learning as much as possible. Currently I'm serving with United States Forest Service (Wilderness Ranger). I was active duty 8 years served in Air Force special Ops with the best men and women on the planet. We worked with a lot of other special Ops branches.

So in essence I went from blue to green…. Forest Service green that it is.

The mighty AC130 specter gunship was my chariot. So ugly only those who flew on it would truly appreciate its beauty… A 105 howitzer a 40 mil Bofors and 20 mil Vulcan cannon hanging off the left side.

I absolutely love that weapons platform and I loved flying above special forces… well anyone Associated with the coalition in Afghanistan really.

We operated with American special forces. We also Supported British SAS, Canadian special, forces, New Zealand and Australian special forces along with the mighty United States of America. We played very nicely with others in the sand box
She was a rare bird who only came out at night and there are only a few on the planet a true legendary creature. Our motto was you can run but you will just die tired.

It was an honor and a privilege!

I'm now shifting gears as 2 small children do not allow me to spend 14 days in the wilderness with no contact.

We are attempting to open up a small tap house and brewery that is associated with the agriculture that is grown on the 52 acre farm that I live on.

I am by no means an expert in any of this.
I feel like I've only scratched the surface of horticulture in particular hop growing. I started my 1st rhizomes in 2008 after My enlistment in Air Force special Ops ended. I've read every book I could get my grubby little paws on for hops. Frequent as many sites to learn as much as possible.

I have been brewing since my teenage years and after going to my older brother's house and seeing his hops growing next to some of the barley he was growing. I was instantly hooked on brewing quality craft ale. small batches of extremely tasty brew.
I served in special Ops for 8 years after coming out of a few hard deployments over in the desert I decided that I no longer could stomach some of the scenes depicted in those deployments.

I started studying forestry and horticulture in college. I got my associates degree in forestry and a minor in horticulture I went on to get a bachelor's degree in wildlife biology.

Through my college years I brewed every Friday night this is actually how I met my wife. We both studied Forestry we would call it study nights where we would study dendrology while cooking dinner and brewing a beer. needless to say sometimes the studing didn't go as planned.

After spending hours and hours of researching as many varieties as I possibly could we decided to start a small hop yard. We live in the Southern Yosemite foothills on 52 acres. a quarter acre is dedicated to hops that we know grow well here.
This is this years list

Amalia
Zeus
AlphAroma (Rawku NZ)
Cashmere
Fuggle
Glacier
Nugget
Magnum
Arcadian
Petoskey
Hartwick
Prussian
Multihead (Madusa)
Neo1
Newport
Golding (US)
Oregon Cluster
Horizon
Pocket Talisman
Santiam
Saugatuck
Old Mission
Shaddock
Walhalla
Southern Cross
Liberty
Ultra
MT. Hood
MT. Rainer
Vanguard
Sterling
Super saaz
Super Alpha (Dr. Rudi)
Tahoma
Tettnanger
Triple Perle
Lawton
Eroica
Pacific gem
Columbia
Willow Creek
Willamette
Yakima Gold

C hops!
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Columbus
Crystal
Comet
Cluster (Early)
Cluster (Late L-8)

Experimental hops *
Wawona
Collegiate
Kinsman
Bodie
Triumph

* DNA testing and cone analysis needs to be completed to see if they are truly unique or are a known species

Every year the list slightly changes based on previous growing conditions. New varieties that we experiment the previous year and found to have great growth and flavor. That conjunction with the amount of hops we use for our brewery. Based mainly on producting forcasting... example. If I project so many barrels of session being made I will grow more sorachi Ace one year than the previous year that with what we feel like the market is changing to.

Current Hops list for 2019 with some late fall entries (moms for eventual breeding program)
1 Arcadian
2 Walhalla
3 Prussian
4 Petoskey
5 Hartwick
6 Saugatuck
7 Old Mission
8 Lawton
9 Shaddock
10 Diamond Springs(Not Released yet)
11. AlphAroma (Rakau)
12. Amalia
13. Bitter Gold
14. Bodhi Zapus (named from mining town it came from and point break movie)
15. Bramling Cross
16. Brewers Gold
17. Canadian Red Vine
18. Canterbury Golding
19. Cascade
20. Cashmere
21. Centennial
22. Chinook
23. California Cluster (Still searching)
24. Cluster (early)
25. Cluster (late)
26. Collegiate ( Found on creek behind local Jr College )
27. Columbia
28. Columbus
29. Comet
30. Crystal
31. Eroica
32. Fuggles
33. Galena
34. Gargoyle (under negotiation )
35. Glacier
36. Golding (US)
37. Hallertauer
38. Horizon
39. Ivanhoe (under negotiation)
40. Kent Golding
41. Kinsman Flat (Calling it homesteader in honor of mr Kinsman who brought it to the area)
42. Kirin 2
43. Liberty
44. Lubelska-Pulawy (* Friend I served with from Poland)
45. Lublin (friend from Poland)
46. Magnum
47. Marynka (friend from Poland)
48. Mt. Hood
49. Mt. Rainier
50. Multi-head (Medusa)
51. Neo 1
52. Newport
53. Northern Brewer
54. Nugget
55. Olympic
56. Oregon Cluster
57. Pacific gem
58. Perle
59. Pocket Talisman
60. Pride of Ringwood
61. Saazer
62. Saazer 72
63. Santiam
64. Spalter select
65. Serbriaka
66. Sorachi Ace
67. Southern Brewer
68. Southern Cross
69. Star
70. Sterling
71. Syrian Golding
72. Summit (searching for)
73. Sunbeam
74. Super Alpha (Dr. Rudi)
75. Super Galena (still searching for this varietal)
76. Super Saaz
77. Tahoma
78. Tea Maker
79. Tettnanger
80. Triple Perle
81. Triumph (receiveing this fall from Sandy)
82. Ultra
83. Vanguard
84. Vajvodina
85. Willamette
86. Willow Creek
87. Wawona ( A species found growing on an old hotel in Yosemite )
88. Wye Challenger
89. Wye Viking
90. Yakima gold
91. Yeoman
92. Zatecki Cerveni
93. Zenith
94. Zeus

Lubelska-Pulawy *
Lublin *
Marynka *

*Polish Hops that my friend has and will send me next fall.

** Seeds to germinate
Supposedly (received from internet)

Calypso **
Phoenix **
El Dorado **

Last edited:
Some of these species we know don't grow quite as well here but they are so unique in flavor we propagate them anyways.

We currently have 88 varietals that are used for mothers. Some people would call this crazy (My wife being one of them) i would insert the word passionate into that spot. The reason why we are propagating Species known to have problems with disease and vigor is we are trying to use a very broad spectrum of genetics to start with in order to narrow down flavor profile, growth characteristics and disease resistant along with a hop that could be used more on a smaller scale. Lower trellis etc.

The reason why we have some varieties we know that don't grow here is in the future we would love to breed hops here. I would dedicate a quarter to a 1/2 acre to see developed new varieties and use some of the genetics we are currently propagating to cast a wide net of bio diversity.

I feel like eventually when we are ready. More set up we will go up to Corvallis Oregon and check out the clean plant program up there and see if we can't get a few male hop plants or potentially some pollen. Or both.

This is not a professional hop yard by any means we are a small farm that is unregistered this is more of a large scale hobby to support a very small taproom we are planning here in the Yosemite mountains.

But it has always been a Passion of mine. I feel like if the hop growing community can band together and use each other's knowledge then We can all prosper and get unique and interesting varieties.

We would start with as wide variety genetics as possible. out crossing.
Then line breeding traits we are after and eventually inbreeding to see what we can come up with.

I feel like every variety will evaluate on its merits not in any one set formula.

I am in hopes that as more and more people start to look into breeding their own hops we can all benefit by sharing knowledge , genetics, seeds, males, space in our fields for other folks varieties of hops.

I think this is an added benefit over larger commercial hopfields who hoard genetics so that they're the only ones that can use them.

I understand that they spend a lot of time and money on their profession and I am very grateful that they can do some things that I will never be able to. On that note I believe that by everyone Coming together to help out in this effort sharing genetics knowledge space in people's fields excreta

Everyone will benefit and we can come up with some pretty awesome results.

I'm not selfless in this for it is my goal to create the best beers on the planet and I feel like the more varieties of hops and the different flavors that are created allows me that opportunity. The More options to create something truly unique and awesome. Like a painter who now has access to a whole spectrum of colors that he never knew existed.

I hope this forum is a tool for all of us to use a stepping stone to take us some place where most have not gone before.

Last edited:
That's a lot of cultivars to manage. I had probably about a dozen or so, and I'm thinking of cutting that down to 4-6. If the point is breeding, you only need a handful of each for seed production, a single plant can make tens of thousands of seeds. But if you care for pedigree and maintaining your diversity, then you still need to isolate each enough so as to make sure you know what yielded what, and if you lose a cultivar you wanted to keep.

Then depending on how many levels of crosses you want to make, the number of specimens to maintain can grow exponentially. Of the hundreds of seedlings I got, I'm striving to cut them back down to a dozen or so. Keeping a few interesting females from a bit all over the globe to cross with selected males.

The problem with collaborative breeding in hops is that what grows well for you might not grow well for the next. Multi-site testing is essential, but usually within similar growing conditions and under the coordination of a single authority. Sharing germplasm is helpful, but a lot is already accessible from government organizations.

What I think the gentleman was trying to say is if we all collectively can get together we can come up with and create some fantastic hops. Together (not without a lot of work) time and money...

What we all (well most) have in common is our love to grow hops and the use them in brewing ales and lagers. we are at a huge disadvantage both monetarily not to mention time it takes as most people on these boards are not geneticist, botanists or large scale hop farmers.

But our strength is our Passion for growing hops and brewing excellent beers with them. We can pool our resources together. Share genetics, space etc.
Me for example we have a lot of acreage that we can use for this project. I do not have a lot of funds that I can throw at this at the moment as I'm already pretty strapped with opening up a very small tap house.

I find the hardest part on my behalf is infrastructure we have a very small hop yard 1/4 Acre. From what I can tell based on what we've already built out a quarter acre hop yard cost anywhere from 8k to $12000. Depending on how affordable Poles, cables, anchors, hardware, drip, PVC, water tank. We use organic materials bat guanos compost teas for our fertilizer. this might not be the right path for everyone but we feel like it. And we feel it produces a better product having to spray less for pesky insects. Again using neem oil to treat our plants.

My background with breeding has come from rabbits mainly my grandmaw being Paramount to that. she invented 3 new breeds of rabbit. and some family friends who grow and breed their own fruit trees.

I have been Hovering around these boards as a guest trying to see what others are doing and learning as much as possible. Currently I'm serving with United States Forest Service (Wilderness Ranger). I was active duty 8 years served in Air Force special Ops with the best men and women on the planet. We worked with a lot of other special Ops branches.

The mighty AC130 specter gunship was my chariot. So ugly only those who flew on it would truly appreciate its beauty… A 105 howitzer a 40 mil Bofors and 20 mil Vulcan cannon hanging off the left side.

I absolutely love that weapons platform and I loved flying above special forces… well anyone Associated with the coalition in Afghanistan really.

We operated with American special forces. We also Supported British SAS, Canadian special, forces, New Zealand and Australian special forces along with the mighty United States of America. We played very nicely with others in the sand box
She was a rare bird who only came out at night and there are only a few on the planet a true legendary creature. Our motto was you can run but you will just die tired.

I'm now shifting gears as 2 small children do not allow me to spend 14 days in the wilderness with no contact.

We are attempting to open up a small tap house and brewery that is associated with the agriculture that is grown on the 52 acre farm that I live on.

I feel like I've only scratched the surface of horticulture in particular hop growing. I started my 1st rhizomes in 2008 after My enlistment in Air Force special Ops ended. I've read every book I could get my grubby little paws on for hops. Frequent as many sites to learn as much as possible.

I have been brewing since my teenage years and after going to my older brother's house and seeing his hops growing next to some of the barley he was growing. I was instantly hooked on brewing quality craft ale. small batches of extremely tasty brew.
I served in special Ops for 8 years after coming out of a few hard deployments over in the desert I decided that I no longer could stomach some of the scenes depicted in those deployments.

I started studying forestry and horticulture in college. I got my associates degree in forestry and a minor in horticulture I went on to get a bachelor's degree in wildlife biology.

Through my college years I brewed every Friday night this is actually how I met my wife. We both studied Forestry we would call it study nights where we would study dendrology while cooking dinner and brewing a beer. needless to say sometimes the studing didn't go as planned.

After spending hours and hours of researching as many varieties as I possibly could we decided to start a small hop yard. We live in the Southern Yosemite foothills on 52 acres. a quarter acre is dedicated to hops that we know grow well here.
This is this years list

Amalia
Zeus
AlphAroma (Rawku NZ)
Cashmere
Fuggle
Glacier
Nugget
Magnum
Arcadian
Petoskey
Hartwick
Prussian
Multihead (Madusa)
Neo1
Newport
Golding (US)
Oregon Cluster
Horizon
Pocket Talisman
Santiam
Saugatuck
Old Mission
Shaddock
Walhalla
Southern Cross
Liberty
Ultra
MT. Hood
MT. Rainer
Vanguard
Sterling
Super saaz
Super Alpha (Dr. Rudi)
Tahoma
Tettnanger
Triple Perle
Lawton
Eroica
Pacific gem
Columbia
Willow Creek
Willamette
Yakima Gold

C hops!
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Columbus
Crystal
Comet
Cluster (Early)
Cluster (Late L-8)

Experimental hops *
Wawona
Collegiate
Kinsman
Bodie
Triumph

* DNA testing and cone analysis needs to be completed to see if they are truly unique or are a known species

Every year the list slightly changes based on previous growing conditions. New varieties that we experiment the previous year and found to have great growth and flavor. That conjunction with the amount of hops we use for our brewery. Based mainly on producting forcasting... example. If I project so many barrels of session being made I will grow more sorachi Ace one year than the previous year that with what we feel like the market is changing to.

Current Hops list for 2019 with some late fall entries (moms for eventual breeding program)
1 Arcadian
2 Walhalla
3 Prussian
4 Petoskey
5 Hartwick
6 Saugatuck
7 Old Mission
8 Lawton
9 Shaddock
11. AlphAroma (Rakau)
12. Amalia
13. Bitter Gold
15. Bramling Cross
16. Brewers Gold
17. Canadian Red Vine
18. Canterbury Golding
19. Cascade
20. Cashmere
21. Centennial
22. Chinook
24. Cluster (early)
25. Cluster (late)
27. Columbia
28. Columbus
29. Comet
30. Crystal
31. Eroica
32. Fuggles
33. Galena
35. Glacier
36. Golding (US)
37. Hallertauer
38. Horizon
40. Kent Golding
41. Kinsman Flat (Calling it homesteader in honor of mr Kinsman who brought it to the area)
42. Kirin 2
43. Liberty
46. Magnum
48. Mt. Hood
49. Mt. Rainier
50. Multi-head (Medusa)
51. Neo 1
52. Newport
53. Northern Brewer
54. Nugget
55. Olympic
56. Oregon Cluster
57. Pacific gem
58. Perle
59. Pocket Talisman
60. Pride of Ringwood
61. Saazer
62. Saazer 72
63. Santiam
64. Spalter select
65. Serbriaka
66. Sorachi Ace
67. Southern Brewer
68. Southern Cross
69. Star
70. Sterling
71. Syrian Golding
73. Sunbeam
76. Super Saaz
77. Tahoma
78. Tea Maker
79. Tettnanger
80. Triple Perle
82. Ultra
83. Vanguard
84. Vajvodina
85. Willamette
86. Willow Creek
88. Wye Challenger
89. Wye Viking
90. Yakima gold
91. Yeoman
92. Zatecki Cerveni
93. Zenith
94. Zeus

Lubelska-Pulawy *
Lublin *
Marynka *

** Seeds to germinate

Calypso **
Phoenix **
El Dorado **
although it can be done, cross breeding to get a unique or "custom" hops via seed is going to be a lengthy process. It requires generations upon generation of selective breeding to come to a stable and predictable outcome. Its not going to happen in one or 2 breedings.

Its not going to happen in one or 2 breedings.

That's a bit unfair - as you can see from the chart above, Salmon got Bullion, Brewer's Gold (and though it's not shown, Ernest which is an AA7 Neomex seedling) from first-generation crosses, Bramling Cross from the second, before hitting paydirt with Northern Brewer in the third. But then there's also that Zattler cross which went 4 generations and 30 years without producing anything named, before First Gold and Pilgrim turned up in the fifth generation.

As for Sierra brew club - that's an impressive collection you've got there! Calypso's an interesting hop in all sort of ways, but it's worth noting that it's patent-protected until 2032 I think. Seeing all those Polish hops makes me think of Junga which is a daughter of Marynka and something from Wye and whilst no Citra is an enjoyable hop for a golden ale. Impressive that you've picked up so many of the moderately obscure Wye hops (says the man with College Cluster cones in the fridge! ;)) - obvious ones to pick up would be Bullion, Ernest (the latter not least because of its neomex mother but it tends to sell out quickly here, I have got seedlings from commercial cones though) and First Gold (aka Primadonna) - dwarf genotypes are more useful to small-scale growers. Of course the dwarf you really want is Boadicea even though it tastes a bit weird to my taste, it breaks the dwarf linkage with selinene and has a rare resistance to aphids, but is protected until 2033.

It is true that you have an impressive collection of hops... some leave me dreaming. About the Ernest, is it possible for individuals to own it?

"c'est vrai que vous avez une impressionnante collection de Houblons... certains me laisser rêveur. à propos du Ernest, est-il possible que des particuliers puissent le posséder ?"

That's a lot of cultivars to manage. I had probably about a dozen or so, and I'm thinking of cutting that down to 4-6. If the point is breeding, you only need a handful of each for seed production, a single plant can make tens of thousands of seeds. But if you care for pedigree and maintaining your diversity, then you still need to isolate each enough so as to make sure you know what yielded what, and if you lose a cultivar you wanted to keep.

Then depending on how many levels of crosses you want to make, the number of specimens to maintain can grow exponentially. Of the hundreds of seedlings I got, I'm striving to cut them back down to a dozen or so. Keeping a few interesting females from a bit all over the globe to cross with selected males.

The problem with collaborative breeding in hops is that what grows well for you might not grow well for the next. Multi-site testing is essential, but usually within similar growing conditions and under the coordination of a single authority. Sharing germplasm is helpful, but a lot is already accessible from government organizations.

With only a hand full of males there are only a few outcomes at least on the first generation.

I am not necessarily interested in inoculating all of these ladies all at once. But i feel like as we go down this road with other varieties to pick certain traits from we should have what we need to strengthen certain aspects of our progeny.

You're right we have a lot of Cultivars here. If it wasn't for a close family friend of ours who is a soil scientist and a irrigation drip specialist I probably wouldn't have taken on some much. I taught him to brew beer and he helped me by setting up controlers and irrigation. we have 2 small automated greenhouses to cultivate from. he has help me by dialing in some of the more particularly difficult hops to grow in this area.

You are right about what grows well here dosen't always translate into another area. We live next to a river there are several micro climates along it.

Serbriaka is a slug as far as vigorously growing in our terrior atleast. Yet it helped create a classic C hop ( That along with one of my favorite English hop cultivar Fuggles). So that hop intrigues me so we kept it growing for a potential cross. I don't see us doing a lot of back crossing with that 1 variety , but I look at it as genetic potential even though it doesn't do well here.

I would more than likely start off with hops that I know do well here but I also know that a lot of classic Hops came from land race and noble hops lineage

The triumph Hop has been cultivated in many parts of the United States and does well in most areas this is also something that intrigues me as hops behave differently.

I could be totally off base here but the more genetics you have to work with seems like the more genetic potential that there is to draw from.

Last edited:
Well thanks very much and like I said if there is any genetics on my side of the fence It's up for grabs... "what is mine is yours" I am very intrested in helping other folks out.:hops: I feel in the end people helping people is what the world should run on instead we have currency and beer. :mug:

About the Ernest, is it possible for individuals to own it?

Yes - it was actually bred way back in 1923 but was dismissed for tasting "too American". But it had enough disease resistance to be kept in the genebank until about 10 years ago, when it was reassessed and of course people now want "American" flavours.

A Plus usually have Ernest rhizomes in winter but only do pots at this time of year and don't seem to have any left, as I say they are very popular so it's a question of getting them when you can. Most of the British homebrew retailers have the cones.

for the genetic heritage of French wild hops, I am here

Excellent brudda I have 0 French hops The closest one would probably be either a German or a Belgian hop but I am definitely intrested in heritage hops.

wondering how difficult would be to send out stock...

Probably too late for me at this point in our season... too hot here in California. rhizomes would be the ticket.

although I'm sure that customs would have to be involved. maybe seeds are the way to go. Then again you are not getting the true original genetics.

This will have to be thought through.

Northern Brewer
I am definitely intrested in Bullion, Ernest, first gold, or any other hop that would work for mother / breeding

Some of these species we know don't grow quite as well here but they are so unique in flavor we propagate them anyways.

We currently have 88 varietals that are used for mothers. Some people would call this crazy (My wife being one of them) i would insert the word passionate into that spot. The reason why we are propagating Species known to have problems with disease and vigor is we are trying to use a very broad spectrum of genetics to start with in order to narrow down flavor profile, growth characteristics and disease resistant along with a hop that could be used more on a smaller scale. Lower trellis etc.

The reason why we have some varieties we know that don't grow here is in the future we would love to breed hops here. I would dedicate a quarter to a 1/2 acre to see developed new varieties and use some of the genetics we are currently propagating to cast a wide net of bio diversity.

I feel like eventually when we are ready. More set up we will go up to Bend Oregon and check out the clean plant program up there and see if we can't get a few male hop plants or potentially some pollen. Or both.

This is not a professional hop yard by any means we are a small farm that is unregistered this is more of a large scale hobby to support a very small taproom we are planning here in the Yosemite mountains.

But it has always been a Passion of mine. I feel like if the hop growing community can band together and use each other's knowledge then We can all prosper and get unique and interesting varieties.

We would start with as wide variety genetics as possible. out crossing.
Then line breeding traits we are after and eventually inbreeding to see what we can come up with.

I feel like every variety will evaluate on its merits not in any one set formula.

I am in hopes that as more and more people start to look into breeding their own hops we can all benefit by sharing knowledge , genetics, seeds, males, space in our fields for other folks varieties of hops.

I think this is an added benefit over larger commercial hopfields who hoard genetics so that they're the only ones that can use them.

I understand that they spend a lot of time and money on their profession and I am very grateful that they can do some things that I will never be able to. On that note I believe that by everyone Coming together to help out in this effort sharing genetics knowledge space in people's fields excreta

Everyone will benefit and we can come up with some pretty awesome results.

I'm not selfless in this for it is my goal to create the best beers on the planet and I feel like the more varieties of hops and the different flavors that are created allows me that opportunity. The More options to create something truly unique and awesome. Like a painter who now has access to a whole spectrum of colors that he never knew existed.

I hope this forum is a tool for all of us to use a stepping stone to take us some place where most have not gone before.

You have an arsenal of hops, your possibilities are practically unlimited, the idea is to have fun and create something new. consider seeds from this side of the border.

although it can be done, cross breeding to get a unique or "custom" hops via seed is going to be a lengthy process. It requires generations upon generation of selective breeding to come to a stable and predictable outcome. Its not going to happen in one or 2 breedings.

Hop breeding isn't like annual crop breeding. It doesn't work like this at all, one doesn't seek to stable and predictable outcomes from sexual reproduction when it comes to perennial crops propagated vegetatively . I mean, one could do that, but it'd been a huge amount of work for just about no gain. Hops are also reputed to be pretty susceptible to inbreeding depression, as well. One should typically strive to increase heterosis, not decrease it.

With only a hand full of males there are only a few outcomes at least on the first generation.

I am not necessarily interested in inoculating all of these ladies all at once. But i feel like as we go down this road with other varieties to pick certain traits from we should have what we need to strengthen certain aspects of our progeny.

You're right we have a lot of Cultivars here. If it wasn't for a close family friend of ours who is a soil scientist and a irrigation drip specialist I probably wouldn't have taken on some much. I taught him to brew beer and he helped me by setting up controlers and irrigation. we have 2 small automated greenhouses to cultivate from. he has help me by dialing in some of the more particularly difficult hops to grow in this area.

You are right about what grows well here dosen't always translate into another area. We live next to a river there are several micro climates along it.

Serbriaka is a slug as far as vigorously growing in our terrior atleast. Yet it helped create a classic C hop ( That along with one of my favorite English hop cultivar Fuggles). So that hop intrigues me so we kept it growing for a potential cross. I don't see us doing a lot of back crossing with that 1 variety , but I look at it as genetic potential even though it doesn't do well here.

I would more than likely start off with hops that I know do well here but I also know that a lot of classic Hops came from land race and noble hops lineage

The triumph Hop has been cultivated in many parts of the United States and does well in most areas this is also something that intrigues me as hops behave differently.

I could be totally off base here but the more genetics you have to work with seems like the more genetic potential that there is to draw from.

I just find it a lot of hassle to manage on all levels, not just for producing seeds, though that too is a lot of extra hassle if you want to keep known pedigrees (which, to be fair, you don't need to).

Serebrianka is said to grow pretty badly just about every place that talks about it. But it contains hop genetics distant to what most cultivars have, so there's good heterosis potential in using it for breeding, even if itself it isn't very good. If you can get your hands on any other caucasus/russian hop genetics, though, that's interesting stuff. Closest I have is wild hops from Georgia, but I suspect there is still a good genetic distinction between them and Caucasus hops.

Even with limited males you will get a lot of variations. Concerning the hop genome: "The scaffolds contained 41,228 putative protein-encoding genes." Assuming total heterozygosity, that can yield up to 1,7 billion different combinations from a single cross. Now that's a big assumption, but still illustrates the scope of potential. To maximize heterozygosity, though, you can make multiple crosses involving plants as distantly related to each other as possible. There's also a few studies that were made on the genetic proximity of various hop populations.

without forgetting the subspecies of hops. neomexicanus, Lupuloids, pubescent and cordifolius... this is what brings new blood for genetics.
"sans oublier les sous-espèces du houblon. Neomexicanus, Lupuloïdes, Pubescent et Cordifolius... voilà de quoi apporter du sang neuf pour la génétique"

Hop breeding isn't like annual crop breeding. It doesn't work like this at all, one doesn't seek to stable and predictable outcomes from sexual reproduction when it comes to perennial crops propagated vegetatively . I mean, one could do that, but it'd been a huge amount of work for just about no gain. Hops are also reputed to be pretty susceptible to inbreeding depression, as well. One should typically strive to increase heterosis, not decrease it.

I just find it a lot of hassle to manage on all levels, not just for producing seeds, though that too is a lot of extra hassle if you want to keep known pedigrees (which, to be fair, you don't need to).

Serebrianka is said to grow pretty badly just about every place that talks about it. But it contains hop genetics distant to what most cultivars have, so there's good heterosis potential in using it for breeding, even if itself it isn't very good. If you can get your hands on any other caucasus/russian hop genetics, though, that's interesting stuff. Closest I have is wild hops from Georgia, but I suspect there is still a good genetic distinction between them and Caucasus hops.

Even with limited males you will get a lot of variations. Concerning the hop genome: "The scaffolds contained 41,228 putative protein-encoding genes." Assuming total heterozygosity, that can yield up to 1,7 billion different combinations from a single cross. Now that's a big assumption, but still illustrates the scope of potential. To maximize heterozygosity, though, you can make multiple crosses involving plants as distantly related to each other as possible. There's also a few studies that were made on the genetic proximity of various hop populations.
I'm not even sure it can be done , exactly why I answered as I did. In one sentence you disagree with what I said ,in the next you agree with me .
All I said is that it could possibly happen , just not in a handful of breedings. It wont be a one time cross and it certainly would be expensive and time consuming to breed ,shake out the traits you want, exclude the ones you dont. Hope theres no masking of bad traits that resurface in following generations. move on and continue to get something sought after,and predictable .On and on, over and over. If its not predictable, and stable its not a strain one would want to use or market as such.
To a large amount of the general public that knows nothing of horticultural practice, the idea of cross breeding is hey lets take this plant and cross it with this other one and get that. For example, for years Ive heard people say dont plant bell peppers next to jalapeno or the bells will taste like jalapenos or vice versa...Nope ,sorry, doesnt work that way . Its possible for the fruit of the plants that might be the offspring of those but not the fruit of the plants present.
I grew tobacco ,cigar varieties , and allowed most to seed. I isolated the flower heads with bags to keep the strain pure and kept bees and other pollinators away. If just a single pollen gets in from another strain, the entire collection of seed thought to be pure is compromised.

It's not how it is done, but it could theoretically be done. These two statements are not contradictory. The possibility of breeding hops as one would breed, say, watermelons, doesn't mean that it is practical and valuable to do so.

Hops are perennials, and in practice, are bred like fruit trees: you typically grow a very large number of F1s, you cull and cull and cull until you get a handful, you do further multi-year multi-site testing, and then on the 1 or few grand winners, you mass replicate vegetatively. There's not much "breeding out" bad traits unless your breeding program wants to specifically include specimens that have both target traits and disqualifying traits. And even in that case, F2s will generally be the go-to. Continuously making additional crosses without publishing anything is extremely rare. People spend 8-10 years per single cross with hops, typically. Stabilizing a true-breeding hop variety would essentially be the work of a lifetime, and by the available literature, would unlikely yield anything worth a common cultivar, much less worth a lifetime's work.

Even if one could master anther culture and double haploidy in hops, which would greatly reduce the required time to seriously inbreed, that's still a whole lot of hassle for so little gain. Perennial crop breeding isn't done the same way as one breeds annuals like tobacco, but if you really want to you can try to do it.

without forgetting the subspecies of hops. neomexicanus, Lupuloids, pubescent and cordifolius... this is what brings new blood for genetics.
"sans oublier les sous-espèces du houblon. Neomexicanus, Lupuloïdes, Pubescent et Cordifolius... voilà de quoi apporter du sang neuf pour la génétique"

Different subspecies will obviously have inherent genetic distance, but even within ssp. lupulus, there's a lot of variation between Western Europe and Caucasus. I don't remember the details of the studies I've read too well, I'd have to look them up again, but I believe that populations between these two extremes also show enough distance (Czech Republic, ex-Yuggoslavia are also, I think, distinctive of the former two).

That's one of the articles I had in mind. I find it rather lacking in wild germplasm, though. Especially North American.

Still, setting aside North America, that still draws basic delimitation of: Western Europe (England), Central Europe (Germany), South-Eastern Europe (ex-Yuggoslavia), Asia (Russian Altai), Caucasus (Georgia). Could probably be added: Far Eastern cordifolius (Japan), NE America lupuloides (Québec), Central America pubescens (Missouri), NW America lupuloides (Saskatchewan), Southern North America neomexicanus (New Mexico).

To maximize heterozygosity, one could take a promising candidate from each group. With 10 groups, it'd take a minimum of 4 crosses to get contributions from all of them concentrated into 1 lot. You could even add up to 6 of your favorite cultivars to the mix, from a bit all over, without increasing the number of generations needed. Or, cut out 2 of these, (say, NEA lupuloides and CE lupulus), and do it in 3 generations, with probably little loss of heterozygosity.

d
It's not how it is done, but it could theoretically be done. These two statements are not contradictory. The possibility of breeding hops as one would breed, say, watermelons, doesn't mean that it is practical and valuable to do so.

Hops are perennials, and in practice, are bred like fruit trees: you typically grow a very large number of F1s, you cull and cull and cull until you get a handful, you do further multi-year multi-site testing, and then on the 1 or few grand winners, you mass replicate vegetatively. There's not much "breeding out" bad traits unless your breeding program wants to specifically include specimens that have both target traits and disqualifying traits. And even in that case, F2s will generally be the go-to. Continuously making additional crosses without publishing anything is extremely rare. People spend 8-10 years per single cross with hops, typically. Stabilizing a true-breeding hop variety would essentially be the work of a lifetime, and by the available literature, would unlikely yield anything worth a common cultivar, much less worth a lifetime's work.

Even if one could master anther culture and double haploidy in hops, which would greatly reduce the required time to seriously inbreed, that's still a whole lot of hassle for so little gain. Perennial crop breeding isn't done the same way as one breeds annuals like tobacco, but if you really want to you can try to do it.

Different subspecies will obviously have inherent genetic distance, but even within ssp. lupulus, there's a lot of variation between Western Europe and Caucasus. I don't remember the details of the studies I've read too well, I'd have to look them up again, but I believe that populations between these two extremes also show enough distance (Czech Republic, ex-Yuggoslavia are also, I think, distinctive of the former two).
Dude, you just like to argue . Youre saying the same thing I did only in a different way.
I'm done with this thread.

Dude, you just like to argue . Youre saying the same thing I did only in a different way.
I'm done with this thread.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant to say, but to me, it looks like you said breeding hops requires making successive crosses and that it is impossible to develop cultivars from F1 single crosses, which is not true at all. I apologize if that's not what you meant.

A Plus usually have Ernest rhizomes in winter but only do pots at this time of year and don't seem to have any left, as I say they are very popular so it's a question of getting them when you can.

I Email A plus and it Looks like I have missed the window this season anyways. Probably too hot here to ship any type of hop even if they were to sort out any rhizomes. They can't send pots outside of the UK so I'll wait for fall. I will be watching there site like a hawk later this year in Hope's to grab a few up once they are available. I would love to get both of these and maybe a few more from there listing. from what I have read about Ernest and first gold these are very interesting genetics. Bullion I have read about on the Hop List book. Kind of an old world meets new world.
Northern Brewer would you recommend any other varitials that they offer?

It's probably worth dropping them a line in early October, normally 1 November is the start of the bare-root season but since that's the day after the Brexit chaos officially begins, it might be worth trying to get them sent before then.

The other thing to check is what rules are on importing plants into your neck of the woods - I know the PNW has specific rules, but California is pretty hot in general about plant health, for obvious reasons.

From a breeding POV then probably Yeoman or its offspring Phoenix are interesting, as they have great agronomy even if they're a bit dull flavourwise. And I just like Bramling Cross as a hop. ;-/

This is this years list

Amalia
Zeus
AlphAroma (Rawku NZ)
Cashmere
Fuggle
Glacier
Nugget
Magnum
Arcadian
Petoskey
Hartwick
Prussian
Multihead (Madusa)
Neo1
Newport
Golding (US)
Oregon Cluster
Horizon
Pocket Talisman
Santiam
Saugatuck
Old Mission
Shaddock
Walhalla
Southern Cross
Liberty
Ultra
MT. Hood
MT. Rainer
Vanguard
Sterling
Super saaz
Super Alpha (Dr. Rudi)
Tahoma
Tettnanger
Triple Perle
Lawton
Eroica
Pacific gem
Columbia
Willow Creek
Willamette
Yakima Gold

C hops!
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Columbus
Crystal
Comet
Cluster (Early)
Cluster (Late L-8)

Experimental hops *
Wawona
Collegiate
Kinsman
Bodie
Triumph

1 Arcadian
2 Walhalla
3 Prussian
4 Petoskey
5 Hartwick
6 Saugatuck
7 Old Mission
8 Lawton
9 Shaddock
11. AlphAroma (Rakau)
12. Amalia
13. Bitter Gold
15. Bramling Cross
16. Brewers Gold
17. Canadian Red Vine
18. Canterbury Golding
19. Cascade
20. Cashmere
21. Centennial
22. Chinook
24. Cluster (early)
25. Cluster (late)
27. Columbia
28. Columbus
29. Comet
30. Crystal
31. Eroica
32. Fuggles
33. Galena
35. Glacier
36. Golding (US)
37. Hallertauer
38. Horizon
40. Kent Golding
42. Kirin 2
43. Liberty
46. Magnum
48. Mt. Hood
49. Mt. Rainier
50. Multi-head (Medusa)
51. Neo 1
52. Newport
53. Northern Brewer
54. Nugget
55. Olympic
56. Oregon Cluster
57. Pacific gem
58. Perle
59. Pocket Talisman
60. Pride of Ringwood
61. Saazer
62. Saazer 72
63. Santiam
64. Spalter select
65. Serbriaka
66. Sorachi Ace
67. Southern Brewer
68. Southern Cross
69. Star
70. Sterling
71. Syrian Golding
73. Sunbeam
76. Super Saaz
77. Tahoma
78. Tea Maker
79. Tettnanger
80. Triple Perle
82. Ultra
83. Vanguard
84. Vajvodina
85. Willamette
86. Willow Creek
88. Wye Challenger
89. Wye Viking
90. Yakima gold
91. Yeoman
92. Zatecki Cerveni
93. Zenith
94. Zeus

Lubelska-Pulawy *
Lublin *
Marynka *

** Seeds to germinate

Calypso **
Phoenix **
El Dorado **

Do you keep rhizomes/seeds from all of those different hops that you are willing to sell?

I root from parent stock.
I do not have seeds or any males to breed with as of yet. (Fingers crossed) soon.

But I have sent bare root stock to friends usually between February and May.
After May it is too hot. Plants usually wilt.

That's an impressive number of hops!

I do know there are some male hops available from universities in the states. Another member on here bought a USDA 19058m which seems to be the go-to-male for breeding a lot of the new IPA-type hops. It seems to impart some mildew resistance, high production and high oils to its offspring. It might be worth trying to track down.

Lots of sources for seeds, and these are sure to yield you some males. Some vendors sell seeds with 0% germination or seeds that aren't even hops at all, though.

I've bought several different varieties of hops seeds over the years on the Internet and have yet to get any sprouts.

Some of them that came to me weren't even hop seeds.

I'm kind of over the Internet hop seed purchasing experience. maybe some day and we can rely on true breeders amateurs or professionals selling good genetics.

But from a starting point I would like some reliable and good genetic make up for males. I do not want to keep very many Males. 3 or 4 tops

but I would like the ones that I have to be (some what proven) it will limit the work and (I believe) have a more fortuitous outcome in the long run.

I had my eye on USDA 19058m among a few others as a good starting point.

Back