American Pale Ale Amerikanisches Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
1/2 pkg of Fermentis S-05
Yeast Starter
None required, but go for it, if you want to
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 65ish
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None required, but go for it, if you want to
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
This turned out exactly the way I wanted it to; a refreshing, balanced American Pale Ale that is not a hop bomb.
4K8eRRZ.jpg

Amerikanisches
American Pale Ale

1 Gallon

OG - 1.051
FG - 1.010
ABV - 5.41%
IBUs - 30.05
SRM - 5.35

29.25 oz. Montana-grown 2-Row
3.25 oz. Avangard Munich (15L)

60-minute mash @ about 154 degrees

60-minute boil

0.1 oz (2.6 g) Cascade Hops (7.25 AA) @ 60 minutes
0.125 oz (3.6 g) Cascade Hops (7.25 AA) @ 20 minutes
0.16 oz (4.6 g) Cascade Hops (7.25 AA) @ 5 minutes

1/2 pkg of Fermentis S-05 yeast

CEciIMD.jpg

I created this beer as a nod to my personal heritage; It is a mixture of Montana and German malts with Cascade hops, commemorating my wife's birthplace in Cascade County, Montana.

I have tried several American pale ales since I first embarked on this journey, and at least half of them (more, really) seemed to be hop bombs that are right up there with IPA's; this is not the case here. I set out to create a simple, no-frills APA with good balance, and I got exactly what I was looking for; it's got just enough malt character to be interesting, and just enough hops character to make it refreshing - no more, no less.

From what I can see, I reached my goals that I was working for when I started this project; it reflects me, who I am and what I am about, and it is also a very good beer. It looks great, it smells great, it tastes great, and I like it.

I honestly believe it is at the point where any modification would be simply about personal taste or preference. The only "improvement" that I can think of would maybe be to do a little work with the head; some torrified wheat or something might be the trick for this; but on the other hand, the back of my mind says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." That little voice sounds an awful lot like my Schwarzmeerdeutsche (Black Sea German) grandfather's voice, so....

If you try this, I hope that you enjoy it, as well. Please let me know if you do, and what you think of it.

Prost!

Ron

AkMmQWZ.jpg

Last edited:
Save a bottle and give the same recipe a shot with Bry-97 then compare the two and see what you think.

Latest posts

Back