American Wheat Ale over 5.5 ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiUMBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried this? I think an AWA with a little more punch--maybe 6.5-7.0) would be great, but can't find any examples.

Absolutely! I’ve made them up to 8% with 40 ibu’s. I do like late hops and whirlpool hops to keep the bitterness a bit lower but still have a big nose of hops.

Absolutely! I’ve made them up to 8% with 40 ibu’s. I do like late hops and whirlpool hops to keep the bitterness a bit lower but still have a big nose of hops.

Interesting. I've never heard of whirlpooling before, but it looks like an interesting concept. I love big hops, but don't like the grassiness of dry hopping.

Thanks for the insight.

I've brewed a slightly scaled down version of this (using up some leftover ingredients). With a smaller grain bill, and hop additions scaled accordingly, that finished at 5.5. With the full grain bill, this would be in your desired range.

8 lbs German Pils
4 lbs White Wheat

Mash 60 min @152

1 oz Citra @60 min
1/2 oz Cascade @10 min
1/2 oz Cascade @0 min

Ferment with US-05

1.066 OG
1.014 FG
6.79 ABV
41 IBU

My scaled down version looked like this a couple of days ago-

v6X15tG.jpg

I've brewed a slightly scaled down version of this (using up some leftover ingredients). With a smaller grain bill, and hop additions scaled accordingly, that finished at 5.5. With the full grain bill, this would be in your desired range.

8 lbs German Pils
4 lbs White Wheat

Mash 60 min @152

1 oz Citra @60 min
1/2 oz Cascade @10 min
1/2 oz Cascade @0 min

Ferment with US-05

1.066 OG
1.014 FG
6.79 ABV
41 IBU

v6X15tG.jpg

That is one beautiful beer!

Thanks much.

I've got a friend who puts a few boxes of nerds in the boil to pump up the volume. Apparently it doesn't contribute any strong flavors but kicks up the ABV to imperial levels :)

By the time I am done with most of my recipes and my yeasts are done with most of brews I usually end up with 5-7% drinks. Been trying to scale it down appropriately while retaining the right flavour balance but keep on screwing around and making them too strong, plus I feel like it is a waste to make a 4% brew when it could be 8% and I just drink less/don't leave the house in a vehicle.

My last here was around 8% and while it had some funky flavours for a hefe (good funky though) it turned out pretty good. Same with my wheat saisons.

Just remember to either increase the hops to account for any extra unfermentables left afterwards and to balance the malty flavours (which won't be much in many wheat ales)

That is one beautiful beer!

Thanks much.

Yes it is!
Very straightforward recipe with single infusion. I like how the beer stays cloudy and has a good head of foam. That sorta stuff really cheers me up.

If you'd like a clarified version, do a two step mash. Start at 145F, then go to 152F. Extend the mash time by 20-30 minutes.
Mash out, lauter wort until clear. Throw a WhirlFloc in the boil and try to get a good "hot break". Use an ale yeast that settles well like WLP001 - or a lager yeast. Store the beer cold after carbing and *BOOM* - clear American wheat beer!
WLP001 is pretty much the liquid version of US-05/1056/BRY-97/"Chico" yeast so there's not much to really change except a couple steps in method.

Last edited:

8 lbs German Pils
4 lbs White Wheat

Mash 60 min @152

1 oz Citra @60 min
1/2 oz Cascade @10 min
1/2 oz Cascade @0 min

Ferment with US-05

1.066 OG
1.014 FG
6.79 ABV
41 IBU

v6X15tG.jpg

I brewed this American wheat ale Saturday, had to pat myself on the back because this is the first time I've hit the OG right on the spot, brew in the bag, with a 90 min boil.

Latest posts

Back