American Pale Ale American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP-001
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Very citrusy aroma. Good mouthfeel. Great drinkability.
I brewed this the other day and loved it, wife loves it too.

Very simple recipe. Going to enter it into contest soon, gotta set up my BeerGun first.

11.5 Pale 2-Row
.5 Caramel 20L

.5 oz Perle at 60m
1 oz Cascade at 30m
1 oz Citra at 5m

White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP-001) (1L Starter)

--------------------
1 week in Primary
1 week in Secondary

slow force carb to style
--------------------

Single Mash Infusion:
Sacch' rest @ 152 for 60m
Mashout @ 170 for 30m

--------------------
Even without dry hopping, this beer has a lot of citra aroma and almost tastes sweet.

I missed the competition this was originally supposed to go to (packaging mishap). So, I sent it to the DMV's largest home brew competition. The 22nd Annual: Spirit of Free Beer.

This was my first competition, so I did not know what to expect. I got the feedback that I wanted...but at the same time it was not the feedback that I wanted. :cross:

The judges noticed the aged taste of the beer, as I missed my original competition. This was probably a month old or more during the competition. Not sure where the oxidation came from, as I followed my normal routine and even used my Blichmann Beer Gun to bottle my beers. I think I will also forgo the brewing salts next time. I was hoping to liven up the beer by using a pale ale water profile. Anyways, here is my score sheet. I hope to improve on this in the future.

Please, let me know if you see any improvements I can make.

:mug:

Optic APA 3.png

Optic APA 2.jpg

Optic APA 1.png

I would love to try this recipe. Forgot me though as I'm fairly new to this. I've only done one previous all grain batch, but it had very specific instructions. I understand the boil schedule and additions, but can you clarify the temp specs that you listed? What temp do you boil at? I assume this is a 60 minute boil for the hop additions, how long do you do the grain for? I'm sorry again, total noob here!

Lol! We've all been there. Take heart! It can be confusing.

BTW - Boil temp differs with SG and altitude. However, a rolling boil is what you want and will be rather obvious... (There'll be a few "Well actually"'s comin up...)

Don't boil the grains. Hold them at 153°F for 60 minutes, then raise to 170°F to mash out (drain).

Thanks! I'm guessing this is about a 3 gallon boil? And have an Additional 5 gallons hot to Sparge?

Thanks! I'm guessing this is about a 3 gallon boil? And have an Additional 5 gallons hot to Sparge?

After sparge I had 7 gallons of wort to boil. The excess is to account for boil loss and trub loss during transfer from primary to secondary. I have never tried to 'top up' during an all-grain brew.

Let me know how it turns out.

I think I finally figured out why my beer turned out oxidized during the competition. I racked my brain about what could have possibly gone wrong, and the only possible explanation is that I did not purge my Blichmann beer gun before filling up my bottles for competition. This could have caused air to get trapped in the bottles and cause the oxidation.

That's the only thing I could come up with.

Latest posts

Back