American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastendershomebrew

Reaction score
here is my recipe for my American Pale Ale,
let me know what you think.

13.75 lbs american 2-row
1.25 lbs crystal 40L
1 oz cascade 60 min.
1 oz centenial 60 min
1 oz cascade 5 min
1 oz cascade flame out

simple and quick, any suggestion i would really appreciate it.
Oh yeah im going for a kinda Sierra Nevada Pale Ale type brew here, but trying to write my own recipes. let me know what you think thanks.

cheers.

You are clearly targeting above the typical range of alcohol and bitterness of an APA and are really making an IPAish kind of beer (53 IBU and ~1086 OG assuming 78% efficiency) if my math is correct. If I was going after an APA in the spirit of SN, I'd drop the grain bill down a few pounds and reduce your bittering additions. I'd also consider something other than Centennial for your bittering. Just my quick thoughts on the matter...

You are clearly targeting above the typical range of alcohol and bitterness of an APA and are really making an IPAish kind of beer (53 IBU and ~1086 OG assuming 78% efficiency) if my math is correct. If I was going after an APA in the spirit of SN, I'd drop the grain bill down a few pounds and reduce your bittering additions. I'd also consider something other than Centennial for your bittering. Just my quick thoughts on the matter...

Well it doesnt say how much beer that makes, so you cant really say that.

Well it doesnt say how much beer that makes, so you cant really say that.

True - was trying to fill in the numerous blanks with assumptions - batch size being one of many - but maybe that's not such a good idea!

yes sorry, i know i was very vague. @ 944, im obviously planning on using yeast, california ale... and the batch size is 6 gallons at 75% efficiency. i want it to be a bit hoppy, but i feel like SN is too,.

after looking at your comments and some consideration i think this is where i am going to go wit this recipe:

10 lbs 15.5 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.66 %
1 lbs 13.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 14.34 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.0 IBU
0.50 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 11.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

Est Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.83 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.26 %
Bitterness: 37.1 IBU Calories: 257 cal/pint
Est Color: 10.0 SRM Color: Color

im going to go for it.
wish me luck,

Cheers.

Back