American Pale Ale attempt...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantH

Reaction score
Thinking I may start brewing things to simply learn the styles, and what better way to do such than to brew a basic American Pale Ale. I have quite a few locals that can give me their opinions and tips, but the recipe I want to be mine.

I've read Citras are love or hate, but based on reading I believe they will be well suited for what I want. Something with a little more fruity/citrus notes.

My feeble attempt is this:

5 Gallons

Pre Boil OG: 1.042
Post Boil OG: 1.046
Est FG: 1.011

35.7 IBU
7.6 SRM
5.0 ABV

9 lbs. 2 Row
12 oz Victory
8 oz Special Roast

.625 oz Warrior @ 60 min
.25 oz Citra @ 5 min
1 oz Citra @ Dry Hop in Secondary for 5-7 days.

Wyeast Cali Ale

How do you want it to taste. is there anything you've had that would a general range of characteristics?

Well, I really enjoy the Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin Ale but from my gatherings I believe it has a Wheat addition to it as well. I'm more wanting to learn the style and how the styles flavor profile is made up. That being said, I don't drink many APA's at all.

I found a recipe for a 6.5 gallon batch that I based this off of, but made my own quantities in an attempt for a middle ground of the style.

Here's my take:

1. The special roast is unnecessary. It'll be overly powerful, even in such a small amount for this beer, and isn't really something I'd personally put into an APA. Maybe switch the Victory and Roast for a tiny bit of Crystal or something along those lines.

2. Not enough late additions. You'll have plenty of bitterness (and in this case, a bit too much, IMO) if you stick with the hop schedule you have. The problem is a lot of the fruity/tropical notes you are looking for come from later additions and/or dry hopping. The first beer I did was a "pale ale" that turned out more or less like a light IPA, and it was only 34 IBU. I'd suggest knocking the IBU down to 30 or under and bringing the later additions up to give you more fruit/tropical notes that you are looking for. Also, using later additions to make up part of the IBU helps smooth the bitterness out.

3. Use a neutral yeast. I'd think something like -001/1056/US05 would be fine for an APA.

4. Mash temp is up to you, the "pale ale" I made was mashed at 154, and it turned out pretty nice, if a bit too dry, but then again, it was a 90 minute mash.

Back