American IPA Hops (Round 1)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which hop(s) are your go-to choices for American IPA's? - Multiple selections allowed

• Apollo

• Amarillo

• Cascade

• Centennial

• Chinook

• Citra

• Columbus

• Nugget

• Summit

• Simcoe

Results are only viewable after voting.

EyePeeA

Reaction score
If you had to choose, which American hops are your go-to choices for brewing a tasty and aromatic American IPA? Choose one or many. If possible, try to limit your multiple selections to your personal top three. Tell us why you decided on these hops in the comments.

The three most popular selections will move on to the FINALS, but not be included in Round 2.

I like my IPAs on the more herbal/piney side, so I chose Nugget, CTZ and Simcoe. My problem with this poll is that it's hard to view any individual variety of the citrusy hops as a must-have when there is so much similarity among them. For example, if I wanted Apollo but could only get Summit, I'm not sure the beer would be greatly compromised (at least for me, I'm certain others among you have more discerning and critical palates). However, it would be fairly difficult to brew a prototypical AIPA without some citrusy contribution.

I've an IPA recipe I like to call "Right in the Nuggets" that is precisely that.

I have an affinity for those hops and that recipie so that got my vote. Love the Simcoe Amarillo combo though- it's hard to beat

For a nice citrusy (and cheap) recipe I like to bitter with Columbus and finish/dry hop with Cascades. You can usually get these hops for $10/lb at the right time of year. Much cheaper than the others.

However, there is nothing better than a Simcoe/Amarillo IPA with a little Citra in the mix.

There is almost a 4-way tie going on here. Let's keep the voting going so I can open up Round 2.

No Magnum? I like to bitter with Magnum or Columbus, then late addition some Centennial, Citra, Amarillo, something like that. dry hop with same.

I have to say I'm surprised that Citra is not leading with how hyped up it has been in recent years for IPA's.

If Centennial ends up in the top 3 with Citra/Simcoe/Amarillo I'll be very surprised!

This poll closes on March 1st, so vote away!! The top three will move on to the next polled round with some new hop choices. I would like to see at least 50 voters per round.

If Centennial ends up in the top 3 with Citra/Simcoe/Amarillo I'll be very surprised!

It looks like you can count on being at least somewhat surprised!! Not everyone will select the most popular, or the rarest choice.

Wow, Centennial takes the lead! I'm brewing an APA with Centennial in about....17 hours!

Very close between Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial. I kinda thought more people would vote for Citra though.

Back