Amber dried malt extract vs dextrose monohydrate (brewing sugar)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon111

Reaction score
Busy with some basic ales, but what is preferable for a 1 gallon ale? Half lb of brewing sugar or DME? And in what amounts? Or half-half?

Busy with some basic ales, but what is preferable for a 1 gallon ale? Half lb of brewing sugar or DME? And in what amounts? Or half-half?

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. The sugar is flavorless and will increase the alcohol and decrease the body of the beer. Just what you want in something like a Belgian style. The DME, being amber, will have a variety of grains in it. It will also increase alcohol, but alosso increase body and flavor.

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. The sugar is flavorless and will increase the alcohol and decrease the body of the beer. Just what you want in something like a Belgian style. The DME, being amber, will have a variety of grains in it. It will also increase alcohol, but alosso increase body and flavor.

Hm, the batch I just have now is all-sugar and a gravity of 1050, but 1040 would be okay too if it enhanced the flavours. I guess the DME being less sugary would need to be more to achieve the same gravity. I prefer DME over sugar. But also don't want to be stuck with a 3% malt beverage.

Hm, the batch I just have now is all-sugar and a gravity of 1050, but 1040 would be okay too if it enhanced the flavours. I guess the DME being less sugary would need to be more to achieve the same gravity. I prefer DME over sugar. But also don't want to be stuck with a 3% malt beverage.

All sugar as in no malt? What are you trying to make?

Ale. Pound of Coopers LME, lb of sugar and handful of Styrian hops. And M42 yeast. No DME in the recipe and I'd like to change that. Instead of the sugar.

Ale. Pound of Coopers LME, lb of sugar and handful of Styrian hops. And M42 yeast. No DME in the recipe and I'd like to change that. Instead of the sugar.

Got it. No harm in trying the DME. You may find that that the sugar works better since LME can have kind of a thick mouthfeel. OTOH, LME has a propensity to go stale and DME will cover that up better than sugar. Neither is necessarily a bad choice, so I'd say try each and see what you prefer.

Roger. Next batch will be sugarless but with DME. Same amount probably since both are very high in carbohydrates.

I'll bet you'll like it.

Well, that's the whole idea actually :mug:
Still thinking: either do a one-on-one switch, replacing al the sugar with DME, or do it half-half, because scary, or do it 60%-60%, because common sense. Still got a night to think it over.
I will be keeping you posted :D

So: one batch is 100% brewing sugar, the other batch is 60% sugar 60% DME. First batch gives 1050, second 1058.
I'm quite curious what the result are going to be.

Manual said to use 10% more than ordinary sugar, and the DME isn't 1-on-1 replaceable too. So I had to improvise. The difference in gravities is there as well, but I expect to end up higher with the second batch anyway, so the ∂d will be equivalent, and the ABV as well.

20170425_210926_HDR.jpg

Back