Amazon Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRHoots

Reaction score
Anyone ever buy hops (or any other brewing ingredients) on Amazon?

I bought a 1 lb bag of Cologne Kolsch malt on Amazon in past, but would be concerned about buying hops unless the seller is well known brew shop that uses Amazon too. You would not know if you are buying old hops and if they were stored probably. Would buy hops directly from Yakima Valley Hops instead.

I bought a 1 lb bag of Cologne Kolsch malt on Amazon in past, but would be concerned about buying hops unless the seller is well known brew shop that uses Amazon too. You would not know if you are buying old hops and if they were stored probably. Would buy hops directly from Yakima Valley Hops instead.
I was on there yesterday looking for non brewing related items, when I saw some hops. I guess they know how to get my attention😄. Anyway, it was a pound of Crystal hops for $10. That's a pretty good deal. I didn't buy them because I have a surplus of hops, including Crystal, but I was damn tempted. I mean, for ten bucks why not? I might just throw them on the next order just to see what I get.

I've bought Amazon hops and grain and other ingredients. Never had any issues.

I've bought Amazon hops and grain and other ingredients. Never had any issues.
It all depends on where they're stored and shipped from.
From what I've read and heard, many sellers on Amazon have their own store where all products are stored and shipped from. They use Amazon only for "advertising" and to produce their shipping labels.

Those should know what they're doing and store hops cold or frozen.

When it comes to age and storing, hops are nothing like candy syrup, though... :D

Understood.

The little store that has homebrew supplies in the area I used to live in has the little foil packets of hops just sitting on a shelf. I mentioned that they ought to be kept refrigerated, she looked at me like I was stupid asked why and proceeded to tell me that they didn't have room for a fridge and really didn't sell that much hops anyway so there was no need for it. I told her that they stay fresh longer and shrugged my shoulders and went on. They don't have much and are mainly sell vitamins and health food stuff. I bought the stoppers I needed and left.

I've ordered 1oz packs of hops or a single pound of grain from Amazon when I was just short on a recipe. Hard to beat 2-day shipping.

I've also bought a pump, floating dip tube, tons of disconnects and picnic taps, and some of my Intertap stuff from Amazon.

No. I work with local homebrew stores first, then homebrew specific stores online, then big box stores, then "big box" stores online.
Agreed. I did buy 10# of Maris Otter. Really just as an experiment, and because they were cheap. No risk. This is definitely not something I'm going to make a habit of, but I had an order going already so I figured I'd attach them for $hits and giggles.

I used to get things in a pinch off Amazon but there shipping has been unreliable for years to say the least( almost never get what I order in 2 days). Things like vanilla beans are hard to acquire locally for a reasonable price. It is like $15/20 for 2/4 beans around here or 10 for $15 on Amazon.

Boo hiss on Yakima Valley Hops. I love their hops bit, their customer service sucks sucks sucks. I ordered from them September 1st, the took the money out of my account on September 15th. Today is October 5th and it still says "Unfulfilled". This is a common theme with them... Last time I ordered, it took 7 weeks to get the order out and they were citing delays from overseas.... I thought, for some reason, that they grew their own hops......

I'll buy hardware for brewing from Amazon when it makes sense. For hops, I go with either MoreBeer, Hops Direct, or Farmhouse Brewing Supply (with the current 20% off code ;)). I'm more comfortable with those three treating the hops properly when storing. I keep them in my freezer once they arrive, to extend out their use life. I bought six pounds of EKG pellets early last year. I have about 1-1/2# left. I broke the 5# bag into 1/2# segments that are vacuum packed.

I used to get things in a pinch off Amazon but there shipping has been unreliable for years to say the least( almost never get what I order in 2 days). Things like vanilla beans are hard to acquire locally for a reasonable price. It is like $15/20 for 2/4 beans around here or 10 for $15 on Amazon.
My experience with most Amazon shipping problems has been due to USPS (terrible!) rather than Amazon itself. I'm surprised they rely on them so heavily for a multi-billion dollar company.

Boo hiss on Yakima Valley Hops. I love their hops bit, their customer service sucks sucks sucks. I ordered from them September 1st, the took the money out of my account on September 15th. Today is October 5th and it still says "Unfulfilled". This is a common theme with them... Last time I ordered, it took 7 weeks to get the order out and they were citing delays from overseas.... I thought, for some reason, that they grew their own hops......
That's inexcusable. Have you contacted them?
You need to know what the problem is, and make a decision based on that. Credit cards will reverse charges if your vendor doesn't.

I never had shipping issues with YVH, usually takes about a week to get here (FedEx ground). But I received a few soft, "inflated" hop bags. The customer service person (through email) was kind but clueless about my questions and concerns. The hops themselves were all fine.

+1 on HopsDirect and Farmhouse Brewing. ^
From what I understand, HopsDirect grows, harvests, pelletizes, packages, and sells their own hops. They also sell hops from a few other sources, including imports.

HopsDirect

i have to give them credit for rather giving them away then throwing them in the trash. 🤔 still got two 22lb bags sitting on my couch, said they were from 2016....

LOL, hey whatever, maybe i try to get the hazy IPA and call it "You're Grama's IPA"? Mellow with wrinkles....

For me the big question would be how the hops were stored and how are they getting to me. If they sit in warehouses and trucks for a week I wouldn't be thrilled. If the order is fulfilled directly by a homebrew shop then sure but why not buy direct from the shop?

I've bought a lot of hops from Hops Direct over the years. They have a generous scale and very reasonable prices. When I ordered earlier this year or last year they were giving away older hops with an order. I ended up with way more than I expected to receive. I'm not afraid of brewing with older but well stored hops but it will be a while before I can place another hop order which is not a bad thing I suppose.

If the order is fulfilled directly by a homebrew shop then sure but why not buy direct from the shop?
I'm not sure how those things work, I'm just wild guessing:
It may well be the same price, perhaps better.
Through Amazon's shipping alliance they may be able to offer a better overall price perhaps?

It's also marketing, Amazon is a central shopping location, many people look there (first?).

I've bought some small equipment on amazon (autosiphon, random kegging parts, hop bags) and was happy with the quality; also some water treatment minerals/lactic acid. Also got a 1lb bag of whirlfloc tabs for cheap, gonna take me a few years to go through that! The only other brewery thing I will buy from them is dry yeast; if you are patient and keep looking you can get some good deals. In several orders I've only received one expired packet (S23) and it still made good beer.

I've never had shipping issues with YVH; however I'm in the same state as they are so that may be a factor. Always get my orders within 2-3 days and no blown-up bags. Based on my last sticker count I've ordered from them 13 times....

Wow, that's unusual. I order from them 3-4 times a year and usually get my hops within a week here on East Coast. The one time I had an issue, it was the Post Office's fault. They don't grown their own, they source it from hop farms in Yakima Valley, but International hops (German, Czech, Aussie, etc) are from those countries and usually they don't even put them on their website until they are in stock. I mean there is a worldwide shipping container/truck driver issue happening, but weird they would sell stuff not in stock unless the issue was in shipping materials, ie mylar bags, cardboard boxes and the packing material they use. Been a few months since I ordered, will have to see what happens next time I do.

Wow, that's unusual. I order from them 3-4 times a year and usually get my hops within a week here on East Coast. The one time I had an issue, it was the Post Office's fault. They don't grown their own, they source it from hop farms in Yakima Valley, but International hops (German, Czech, Aussie, etc) are from those countries and usually they don't even put them on their website until they are in stock. I mean there is a worldwide shipping container/truck driver issue happening, but weird they would sell stuff not in stock unless the issue was in shipping materials, ie mylar bags, cardboard boxes and the packing material they use. Been a few months since I ordered, will have to see what happens next time I do.
I've also had good luck with YCH as well. Something to consider though is the time of year, with now being a busy time for harvesting and processing IIRC. Not an excuse, but sometimes things fall through the cracks when you're busy and likely understaffed.

20211006_161004.jpg

My Amazon grain purchase arrived. As soon as I saw the name "Home Brew Ohio" it occurred to me that I had purchased a pot from Amazon a while back and it came from the same people. Anyway, it was a good price and everything looks fine. It said it was frim Crisp when I bought it. I guess I shall see on brew day. 🤷‍♂️

Oh, and they're in Sandusky which reminds me of Tommy Boy. That's fantastic😄

Boo hiss on Yakima Valley Hops.

Following up on my previous post...after I responded, I went on Yakima Valley and saw they have Czech Kazbek hops in so ordered some, so that was yesterday...just got an email that they are out for delivery (though Fedex states "by Friday" even though they are on the truck today. So in less than 24 hours they are at least already in Mass. Are you sure it's Yakima Valley you ordered from and not Yakima Chief or Yakima Quality hops? Will say that's the fastest delivery I have gotten. Usually it's 4-7 days.

Following up on my previous post...after I responded, I went on Yakima Valley and saw they have Czech Kazbek hops in so ordered some, so that was yesterday...just got an email that they are out for delivery (though Fedex states "by Friday" even though they are on the truck today. So in less than 24 hours they are at least already in Mass. Are you sure it's Yakima Valley you ordered from and not Yakima Chief or Yakima Quality hops? Will say that's the fastest delivery I have gotten. Usually it's 4-7 days.
I'm gonna need to try those. I brew with Czech Saaz quite a bit. They say those are like a "super Saaz". I'm very intrigued.

Anyone ever buy hops (or any other brewing ingredients) on Amazon?
Having worked at an Amazon warehouse, I never advise anyone to buy anything that should be refrigerated or stored in a cool location. The warehouses are extremely hot locations. Food stuffs are stored improperly near other items, IE: baby formula, cookies, crackers, etc. stored on shelves below bleach, cleaners and transmission fluid. Unless the listed item is shipped and sold by an actual homebrew/hop broker/maltster with high turnover rates, just don't do it! Same for food stuffs, if is something you can buy locally then that is where you should buy.

I order from Yakima Valley Hops all the time, every 1-2 months, depending on brew schedule. They come well sealed in mylar bags (can't smell any hop odor bleeding through like repackaged hops from my LHBS) and are at least half the cost. If course I have to buy quite a bit to offset the shipping cost but I like that I know the harvest year. I've never had an availability or credit card issue like mentioned above.

I also recently started shopping from Yakima Chief Hops, for certain varieties that YVH doesn't carry. They also ship in good bags (but no handy Ziploc top like YVH bigger bags), have hop date lot codes on the bags, and even have free shipping. Even if you order nothing else from them, you have to buy Cascade from them. $0.99 per 2 oz bag, and free shipping. That's their regular price, not some limited time offer.

I was about to post on how it was probably a bad idea to order hops from Amazon, saw the $10/lb for Crystal post and now have 8oz of Crystal on the way due to arrive in 2 days for $6! Gotta love this country, warts and all!

https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Pell...rds=crystal+pellet+hops&qid=1634990500&sr=8-2
The biggest issue is that they are NOT stored cool or cold, they are in a hot warehouse, not to mention how long they have been sitting there. Still not an option for my likes. Also, doesn't state what year the harvest was. These could be 2 or 3 years old at this point.

The biggest issue is that they are NOT stored cool or cold, they are in a hot warehouse, not to mention how long they have been sitting there. Still not an option for my likes. Also, doesn't state what year the harvest was. These could be 2 or 3 years old at this point.
Yeah those are valid concerns. You can actually see where the product is coming from. If it's coming from an Amazon warehouse, I wouldn't trust it... but some of that product actually ships direct from homebrew supply shops.
Edit: I was putting an order in the other day and I threw in some hops that are shipping from Hobby Homebrew in Illinois. The price was right and shipping was free. I place orders through Amazon fairly regularly (non brewing related items) so I figure I'll throw one homebrew related item in on each order just to build my supply. As long as it's coming from a homebrew supply of course.

Last edited:
Yeah those are valid concerns. You can actually see where the product is coming from. If it's coming from an Amazon warehouse, I wouldn't trust it... but some of that product actually ships direct from homebrew supply shops.
Edit: I was putting an order in the other day and I threw in some hops that are shipping from Hobby Homebrew in Illinois. The price was right and shipping was free. I place orders through Amazon fairly regularly (non brewing related items) so I figure I'll throw one homebrew related item in on each order just to build my supply. As long as it's coming from a homebrew supply of course.
Which was my original post. Unless you see that they are being sold by and shipped by a Hop Farmer or Homebrew Store that has a high inventory turnover, it will have been sitting in a warm warehouse degrading, unless you are looking for low AA/BA hops for a Lambic-inspired beer that is.

Which was my original post. Unless you see that they are being sold by and shipped by a Hop Farmer or Homebrew Store that has a high inventory turnover, it will have been sitting in a warm warehouse degrading, unless you are looking for low AA/BA hops for a Lambic-inspired beer that is.
Yep you're absolutely right. I still prefer to buy local, but my LHBS closed for good. The building is already demolished for a used car dealership 😔

Per the vendor (Fast Craft!), the 1lb and 8oz packs of Crystal they are selling are 2017 crop year and they have had them frozen, use them all the time, and they are fine. Reviews seem to support this. I have actually had good luck with most bargain hop purchases, some from Amazon, some from eBay. If they come properly packed (artisan hops are not vacuum packed, they come loose packed in nitrogen flushed barrier bags), look green, smell and taste fine, they have been good enough for me. More recent year hops from YVH and YCH, about 80% of my current hop stock, can have stronger aroma coming out of the bag, but you have to expect some lower level of quality when paying $10/lb shipped. In one case, $7/lb and I've used half a pound those and those beers were some of the best I've brewed.

Back