Amarillo Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think Centennial was ever protected as it was bred with public funds at Washington State. Back then, the time frame to bring new varieties to market was about 15 years from the initial crosses. I'm sure some years of trial work have been shaved off the process now that there's so much interest in new varieties.

There's no "usually", as I think these are the first cases of patents expiring on hops, certainly major ones. So we don't know.

But don't expect Amarillo to suddenly appear for sale on 4th February, it takes time for third parties to build up stock. And you won't get rhizomes to start with, you'll see cuttings (and potentially tissue-culture-grown plants) some 2 years before you're likely to see rhizomes, but there tend to be more controls (and practical limits) on movement of plants in leaf.

Usually in the plant world in situations like this, the term is proprietary. They don't even need the patent for them, it is exclusive rights to do with the product what they want. And the patent expiration just means that someone can now go and re create a similar product, can't call it Amarillo though. Just because the patent has expired, it does not mean the farm is going to start handing out rhizomes.

There's no "usually", as I think these are the first cases of patents expiring on hops, certainly major ones. So we don't know.

But don't expect Amarillo to suddenly appear for sale on 4th February, it takes time for third parties to build up stock. And you won't get rhizomes to start with, you'll see cuttings (and potentially tissue-culture-grown plants) some 2 years before you're likely to see rhizomes, but there tend to be more controls (and practical limits) on movement of plants in leaf.

Growers presumably have non-propagation agreements with the breeders, meaning that even if the patent expires, they still have contractual obligations/restrictions regarding the spread of the cultivar.

Amarillo rhizomes to go please!
and by to go I mean this 2020.
February 5th is my birthday so that would be a great birthday present.

Does anyone know if any of the other available rhizomes were once proprietary like Simcoe, Amarillo, Warrior, etc. are. Just wondering if these varieties will be available at some point or if we just need to wait for something better to be developed that replaces them on a farm that doesn't need to lock them up. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about capitalism, but I needs me some legal amarillo and simcoe rhizomes!

I'm sure it's already been talked about here, but hopsdirect has lbs. of amarillo for $13.50!!
Very old post but I just saw now (Hops Direct) - no longer has Amarillo but I just bought 3 pounds of Citra (also or still $13.50). Not thrilled about 5 day USPS - but I am looking forward to the shipment. An outstanding price if these are as I am anticipating - if not only $50 total with shipping.

Back