• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Amarillo Rhizomes

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

B-Hoppy

Reaction score
I don't think Centennial was ever protected as it was bred with public funds at Washington State. Back then, the time frame to bring new varieties to market was about 15 years from the initial crosses. I'm sure some years of trial work have been shaved off the process now that there's so much interest in new varieties.

Reaction score

crabjoe

Reaction score
Bumping... Wondering when the patent might expire on this hop

Northern_Brewer

British - apparently some US company stole my name
Reaction score
There's no "usually", as I think these are the first cases of patents expiring on hops, certainly major ones. So we don't know.

But don't expect Amarillo to suddenly appear for sale on 4th February, it takes time for third parties to build up stock. And you won't get rhizomes to start with, you'll see cuttings (and potentially tissue-culture-grown plants) some 2 years before you're likely to see rhizomes, but there tend to be more controls (and practical limits) on movement of plants in leaf.

lurker18

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Usually in the plant world in situations like this, the term is proprietary. They don't even need the patent for them, it is exclusive rights to do with the product what they want. And the patent expiration just means that someone can now go and re create a similar product, can't call it Amarillo though. Just because the patent has expired, it does not mean the farm is going to start handing out rhizomes.

Apimyces

Hop breeder
Reaction score
There's no "usually", as I think these are the first cases of patents expiring on hops, certainly major ones. So we don't know.

But don't expect Amarillo to suddenly appear for sale on 4th February, it takes time for third parties to build up stock. And you won't get rhizomes to start with, you'll see cuttings (and potentially tissue-culture-grown plants) some 2 years before you're likely to see rhizomes, but there tend to be more controls (and practical limits) on movement of plants in leaf.
Growers presumably have non-propagation agreements with the breeders, meaning that even if the patent expires, they still have contractual obligations/restrictions regarding the spread of the cultivar.

Sierra brew club

Reaction score
Amarillo rhizomes to go please!
and by to go I mean this 2020.
February 5th is my birthday so that would be a great birthday present.