Amarillo or Mosaic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
If you were going to make a very simple pale ale (5.5% and around 35 ibu), and wanted to only stick with just 1 hop throughout the boil and dry hop, would you choose Amarillo or Mosaic and why?

yeast will be Wyeast 1968.

I just kicked a keg of exactly what you describe. I used Mosaic just because I really like Mosaic.

I've used both and prefer Amarillo but you can't really go wrong with either one.

I'd say do one now, do the other in a batch a couple months from now. Both will be awesome, but you'll know which one YOU think is awesomer. [emoji41]

I'd say do one now, do the other in a batch a couple months from now. Both will be awesome, but you'll know which one YOU think is awesomer. [emoji41]

this is what i'm leaning toward, but I rarely make the same beers twice....being a creature of creativity I somehow always change something, which usually ends up being a lot and comes out as a completely different beer all together :D

Both hops are awesome as single hop beers but they are way different. Amarillo has the classic IPA flavor (piney, grapefruit, floral) while Mosaic (mango, sweet fruit) is a popular choice for the newer IPAs coming out. Again both good, so if you have both hops do one of each!

you guys/girls aren't giving me reasons though :( What I was looking for was something like:

Amarillo because the pineness/floral works better in a pale ale then mosaic which is better suited for an IPA because of its fruitiness.

or

Mosaic seems to be better as its fruitiness works good with more malt backbone of a pale ale over Amarillo which tends to lend more grapefruit best suited for an IPA.

Last two batches of pales ales with mosaic. One was a maris smash and the other was a 2-row with a little of other stuff with mosaic. They were 39 and 41 IBU's. It really let you get a good taste of the grain without any bitterness getting in the way.

Liked them both and will definitely do mosaic only pales in the future.

you guys/girls aren't giving me reasons though :( What I was looking for was something like:

Amarillo because the pineness/floral works better in a pale ale then mosaic which is better suited for an IPA because of its fruitiness.

or

Mosaic seems to be better as its fruitiness works good with more malt backbone of a pale ale over Amarillo which tends to lend more grapefruit best suited for an IPA.

That's kinda like saying "T-bone or ribeye?"

Both are awesome, there's no wrong choice, you'll be happy with either one. You gotta try 'em both to see if you have a preference.

(The correct answer is ribeye, btw.)

this is what i'm leaning toward, but I rarely make the same beers twice....being a creature of creativity I somehow always change something, which usually ends up being a lot and comes out as a completely different beer all together :D

Me too. I haven't made 2 exactly the same in 93 batches. I always change something.

I can't give a "I wouldn't use x because it gave y flavor etc. I am not that good at describing flavors. It is more that I like this one, I like this one more than that one, etc.

I also can't compare since I have yet to use Mosaic, though I had a commercial brew that featured Mosaic and it was very good.

What about making a batch and splitting it in two one half with Amarillo and the other half with Mosaic.

Mosaic. Reason?
I make a mosaic/pilsner pale ale (borderline IPA) Every one who has tried it has loved it. I can't keep up with the demand. I never made a single hop Amarillo beer. I guess I'll have to give it a shot, but why mess with sucess? ;)

Ribeye is right!

There are plenty of commercial examples that highlight each to research. What other hobby has drinking beer as homework.

One thing to consider is that Mosaic hops tend to contain high thiol compounds. To the unfortunate few such as myself, this is perceived as cat urine. Those fortunate many who are not afflicted as I benefit from all the tropical and citrus notes that everyone raves about.

I only mention this if you have not had a Mosaic heavy beer and did not realize you are in the same unfortunate camp such as I am. Also consider how many others you intend to offer your beer to.

Of course the flipside for me is I am diacetyl blind. No butterscotch bombs for me.

i've done a mosaic SMASH & an amarillo pale wheat (gumballhead clone). while both turned out great, i'd take the amarillo wheat beer every time.

Ribeye is right!

One thing to consider is that Mosaic hops tend to contain high thiol compounds. To the unfortunate few such as myself, this is perceived as cat urine. Those fortunate many who are not afflicted as I benefit from all the tropical and citrus notes that everyone raves about.

Just curious...Do you like cilantro or does it taste like soap to you?

I know the Q is not directed to me, but I'm a cilantro hater and I LOVE Mosaic, Simcoe, chinook - all the cat piss hops.

My problem is I just love beer....period...all kinds....I have no real "favorites", and everyone that I have taste my beer all rave about it and when I offer to fill growlers for a few friends, they actually flip a coin to choose. comments usually are: "Oh I like that one!!", followed by: "Oh that was is awesome too"....then I say something like, "I'm not filling your fridge, just pick one"....and then it leads to flipping a coin. I have used both mosaic and Amarillo as well as TONS of other hops.....so for me, it really is 6 one way or half a dozen the other....I think though for this batch I will go with the mosaic based off the close relationship to simcoe and how much I enjoyed that simcoe beer and hope this will be similar yet somewhat different in a way.

thanks everyone!!

I know the Q is not directed to me, but I'm a cilantro hater and I LOVE Mosaic, Simcoe, chinook - all the cat piss hops.

I love cilantro as well as those hops, too. None of them taste like cat piss to me. I was just wondering it there was a connection.

:mug:

You can't go wrong with either. Homestyle from Bearded Iris is all Mosaic and its delicious. If you blend the two in equal proportions, its all peach/stone fruit.

Ribeye is right!

I am sensitive to this too and people cannot understand that I don't like Citra either. My perception of Mosaic is also cat urine along with Citra.

Glad to know it's not just me.

Just curious...Do you like cilantro or does it taste like soap to you?

Perhaps, but about the only time I eat cilantro is on street tacos and it's 50/50 with onion. Damn, now I'm hungry.

I'm also very sensitive to brussel sprouts and broccoli rabe. Taste like I'm eating straight bile. My wife couldn't understand it for years until I showed her research that it's a genetic thing where my taste buds are more receptive to certain compounds, or at least perceive them differently than others.

I am sensitive to this too and people cannot understand that I don't like Citra either. My perception of Mosaic is also cat urine along with Citra.

Glad to know it's not just me.

Misery loves company, right?

Citra is not too bad for me. It seems like I'm most sensitive to Mosaic. Beers with moderate amounts are tolerable, though I can still perceive cat piss. Must be tied to how much, and when used in the boil.

I was fortunate enough to be invited to a Sierra Nevada Beer Camp a couple of years ago. Part of the 3 day event was spending considerable time in their sensory lab. It's amazing how many different compounds there are in malts, hops, produced by yeast, and by extension in beer. They test every employee there. Those that show acute sensitivities to the more common bad compounds are highly prized.

Back