Amarillo / Mosaic and Citra combinations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frozenpuck

Reaction score
Hey guys

Looking for some suggestions for a recipe including a combination of the following

Mosaic
Amarillo
Citra

I only have 4 ounces of Mosaic and 6 ounces of both Amarillo and Mosaic.

This will be an extract recipe, I was thinking of going with an Amarillo / Mosaic blend with 1lb of Crystal 40 steeped. Aiming for 5 abv. Maybe 35 Ibu?

Any thoughts on a good recipe?

Thanks

Mosaic/Citra make a great combo by themselves (IE Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA) but Amarillo will be a good addition too. Are you using LME or DME? Could add some wheat extract. Given your target ABV and IBUs its safe to assume youre going for an American Pale Ale recipe? And you mention Mosaic twice Im assuming one of those is Citra.

Don't know what you anticipate your OG to be but if it were me I'd get the OG up to 1.060 - 1.065 and get Amarillo IBUs up to around 35, then split the citra and mosaic up to do equal amounts in whirlpool hops and dry hops.

Thanks guys. My mistake, I meant to say

"I only have 2 ounces of Mosaic and 6 ounces of both Amarillo and Citra"

I will be using LME, light. I am looking to make a lighter beer, something in the 5ABV range. I have some heavy beers already bottled. Should I be attacking the IBU's different for a lower gravity beer? I made an all citra IPA a few months ago that turned out awesome. It was 6ABV and 55 IBU, really nice beer but heavy.

Jake, would you consider all wheat extract or split with a light malt?

Thanks guys

I am doing a Fresh Squeezed clone and just dry hopped about 30 mins ago with 1oz each of Citra and Mosaic. Can't wait to keg this sucker.

Thanks guys. My mistake, I meant to say

"I only have 2 ounces of Mosaic and 6 ounces of both Amarillo and Citra"

I will be using LME, light. I am looking to make a lighter beer, something in the 5ABV range. I have some heavy beers already bottled. Should I be attacking the IBU's different for a lower gravity beer? I made an all citra IPA a few months ago that turned out awesome. It was 6ABV and 55 IBU, really nice beer but heavy.

Jake, would you consider all wheat extract or split with a light malt?

Thanks guys

Well you are shooting for the lower range of IBUs for the style, but bitterness is a preference. What I like to do to kind of gauge how bitter I'd want the beer is to check IBUs of commercial beers in the same style that you wanna go for. PseudoSue by Toppling Goliath is a pretty good APA, it's about 50 IBU. Me personally I like slightly less bitter PA/IPA but it's all matter of preference.

As far as the wheat I would definitely split it, and it's only an idea, I just like a lot of IPAs with wheat. Could do 60-40 for LME and WME.

Thanks for the suggestions. That fresh squeezed clone looks great and right in my ballpark. Much thanks for the advice, I'll give her a go and see what happens.

Cheers

Personally, I'd take the 2 oz of Mosaic and drop them in @ 10 min, 1 oz of each Amarillo/Citra @ FO and let steep for 20 mins or so, and then dry hop with 2 oz each of Amarillo/Citra. That'll get you pretty close to 55 IBU's without it tasting like 55 IBU's and you'll have a ton of flavor and aroma.

Hey John, are you suggesting to add this to the fresh squeeze schedule or simply run with your schedule? If your schedule, would this only be a 10 minute boil?

Thanks.

Hey John, are you suggesting to add this to the fresh squeeze schedule or simply run with your schedule? If your schedule, would this only be a 10 minute boil?

Thanks.

I was saying what I would do with the hops and amounts you have. I would still run this on a traditional 60 min boil. Personally, I've had very good luck skipping any kind of 60 min or FWH addition. Instead, I've been pushing all my hops to a bursting type method. I think it's really helped push flavor and you still get enough bittering to keep things from becoming unbalanced.

Awesome suggestion. I did an IPA a month back with heavy citra additions at 60, found it overpowering. I always thought that leaving out the 60 minute boil would lead to no bitterness but after some research, starting to understand it is not necessarily needed. Thanks for the advice.

I recently used Amarillo (100G late in boil) with 50G Pilgrim to bitter at 60 (for a 23L) it was good but very earthy - it really needed something else

I recently used Amarillo (100G late in boil) with 50G Pilgrim to bitter at 60 (for a 23L) it was good but very earthy - it really needed something else

That's why I don't like amarillo too early in the boil. Keep it very late (FO/whirlpool and/or dry hop), you'll throw lots of peach and citrus. Boil too long and you kill the peach and are left with some odd flavors to me.

Awesome suggestion. I did an IPA a month back with heavy citra additions at 60, found it overpowering. I always thought that leaving out the 60 minute boil would lead to no bitterness but after some research, starting to understand it is not necessarily needed. Thanks for the advice.

Exactly. I was worried myself the first time I tried it but I haven't looked back since. Like I said, the bitter isn't overpowering but there is enough there to keep it from getting too sweet or unbalanced.

Back