Amarillo/Centennial/Simcoe IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamnich314

Reaction score
I'm planning an IPA based off of parts from a Two Hearted clone and Zombie Dust clone. I'm still trying to figure out the amount and timing of my hop additions. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ingredients
12 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
8 oz Carafoam/CARAPILS (2.0 SRM)
8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
½ Whirfloc tablet
3 oz Simcoe (alpha 13%)
3 oz Amarillo (alpha 9.3%)
2 oz Centennial (alpha 8.7%)
Nottingham or SF-05 dry yeast

Hop Bill
0.5 oz Amarillo (60 min)
0.5 oz Centennial (60 min)
0.5 oz Centennial (30 min)
0.5 oz Simcoe (15 min)
0.5 oz Centennial (15 min)
0.5 oz Simcoe (10 min)
0.5 oz Amarillo (10 min)
½ Whirfloc tablet (5 min)
0.5 oz Simcoe (5 min)
0.5 oz Amarillo (5 min)
0.5 oz Centennial (5 min)
0.5 oz Simcoe (flame out)
0.5 oz Amarillo (FO)

1 oz Simcoe - Dry Hop for 10 days
1 oz Amarillo - Dry Hop for 10 days

5.25 gallon batch, Mash @ 153, single stage, batch sparging

You've got all the makings of a great IPA. Any changes would be personal preference.

Brew it. Take notes. Brew it again.

I always use ~5-7wt% sugar for my IPAs. I like them to be a bit dryer to really accentuate the hops. The hops are why I'm doing the IPA in the first place. Same idea as why you usually see simple grain bill and sugar additions in Abbey style Belgians - to accentuate the yeast.

This is just an idea, but for all my IPAs I've moved the majority of my hops to flameout additions. Usually I do 1 oz of something high AA% at the start of the boil, then nothing until flameout. At flameout, I'll throw in about 4-8oz and let them steep in the wort at just-below-boiling temperature. This lets you get the most aroma and flavor out of the hops and seems to be more effective than dry hopping. You have the advantage of heat to extract oils, but no vaporization to lose anything.

I set aside 1/2-1oz of each hop I use for dry hopping. The result is this giant smack in the face of hop aroma and flavor, but it doesn't come with any jaw clenching bitterness that stays on the palate. The first IPA I did like this has been able to convince every single person I've found that thinks they dont like IPAs that its just the bitterness that stays after sipping that they dont enjoy.

What mOOps said. In the past year I've moved most of my "late addition" (but still boil) hops to flameout and after. Really increases flavor and aroma in my experience. I think the idea here is to mimic what the big brewers do with whirlpool hops and such.

Or stick with what you have. I don't know what that 30 min addition will do for you.. probably only add bitterness, but not as much as what it would add at 60min.

Looks good! I make a really similar recipe (also based on Two Hearted) and it's awesome. My $.02 that .5 of Centennial at 30 might do more if added later in the boil.

EDIT: And as noted above, I've also been trying to dry my recipe out. Last couple times I mashed at 152 and found it too sweet. The latest was at about 149, but it's still fermenting so I can't say what the result will be.

So maybe something like...

Hop Bill
0.5 oz Simcoe (60 min)
0.5 oz Amarillo (60 min)
1 oz Centennial (60 min)
½ Whirfloc tablet (5 min)
1 oz Simcoe (5 min)
1 oz Amarillo (5 min)
1 oz Centennial (5 min)
1.5 oz Simcoe (flame out)
1.5 oz Amarillo (FO)

Are my DH amounts enough?

I'm guessing that "fo" was supposed to be "dh?". Yeah I usually save 2 oz or so but the massive flameout addition gets me most of my aroma. At least using the technique I described

Back