Am I worried about nothing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHermit

Reaction score
I have made several batches of cider using store bought cider and pitching White Labs WLP775 English Cider yeast which is good for 68-75f which has worked fine for me. Fermentation has been very good within 24 hrs after pitching.

This time I thought I would use apple juice and see what type of flavor I would get just wanted to experiment a little. After 24 hrs or so I saw no activity 2 days later very little activity maybe a couple bubble every few minutes. Today is Saturday the 14th not much of anything. OG was 1.079 and I checked it today Saturday and it is 1.030. By the way I started this on 12/10/13.

When I opened it I could see the yeast working but nothing to brag about. Is there something wrong? Or is this something I just haven't seen yet as I an still new and that is normal from time to time?

May be your fermenter isn't sealing well, so the CO2 isn't going through the airlock. Are you using a carboy/better bottle or a pail with a lid?

+1

Btw...you got an OG of 1.079 out of plain Apple Juice?
I am using a pail for this batch as my carboys are full ATM and its sealed down tight, and the OG was cked right after I added the brown sugar. I am use to an eruption of activity but this time not so much. This is the first time I used apple juice the Motts brand from the Kroger store. Very careful in making sure it has no preservatives.

It's doing something in there but not enough for much activity in the airlock. Starting another batch on the 17th using cider this time and compare. Maybe let it run it course for a few weeks and see if the FG will rise to where it should. BTW used 2 lbs of light brown sugar.

I am using a pail for this batch as my carboys are full ATM and its sealed down tight, and the OG was cked right after I added the brown sugar. I am use to an eruption of activity but this time not so much. This is the first time I used apple juice the Motts brand from the Kroger store. Very careful in making sure it has no preservatives.

It's doing something in there but not enough for much activity in the airlock. Starting another batch on the 17th using cider this time and compare. Maybe let it run it course for a few weeks and see if the FG will rise to where it should. BTW used 2 lbs of light brown sugar.

Yeah, I've never used a pail, but I've read a lot of posts on this site by people using pails and who have issues like you're describing. More often than not, the lid isn't sealing well. With the yeast creating lots of CO2, there's positive pressure inside which will keep any O2 or "nasties" out, so probably don't need to worry.

Yeah, I've never used a pail, but I've read a lot of posts on this site by people using pails and who have issues like you're describing. More often than not, the lid isn't sealing well. With the yeast creating lots of CO2, there's positive pressure inside which will keep any O2 or "nasties" out, so probably don't need to worry.
As long as the alcohol is higher than a can of beer and drinkable I will be happy. Hate to think I wasted a 5 gallon batch. I am off tomorrow rdy to start the next round. Thanks a bunch for the replies.

You're probably going to be okay. I've been firing off 1-2 batches a month over the last six months or so doing essentially what you're describing and I've had a few that were slow to start, but nothing that was bad. Well, at least nothing that was bad because of the juice base.

Btw...you got an OG of 1.079 out of plain Apple Juice?

That's really not hard to do at all if you're using a concentrate base. I generally use Safeway brand (it's cheap, available, and doesn't have any weird additives in it) and about four cans per gallon will put you at something close to that OG. Heck I started a batch yesterday with an OG 1.078 that was just juice and a Raspberry puree.

That's really not hard to do at all if you're using a concentrate base. I generally use Safeway brand (it's cheap, available, and doesn't have any weird additives in it) and about four cans per gallon will put you at something close to that OG.

Makes sense. I was just curious because they just mentioned using "apple juice" and didn't mention the extra sugar (or concentrate) that was included. I guess I was mostly just asking for clarity. ;)

Makes sense. I was just curious because they just mentioned using "apple juice" and didn't mention the extra sugar (or concentrate) that was included. I guess I was mostly just asking for clarity. ;)
I was going to add a little apple juice concentrate but the gravity reading is at 1.002 thats just over 9% alch. Will give it a few more days maybe I will hit that 1.000 that I am looking for. After that I will spice it up with cinn. and nutmeg and let her sit for a few weeks.

Just got my next batch up and running have it in a carboy this time maybe I won't freak out. Nothing is more valuable than experience and that is what I get when I run into problems. Sure appreciate the help as it has cleared up some things for me.

It may just be your gravity. The higher the starting gravity is, the harder it can be on your yeast.
Also, filtered juice maybe lacking some other nutrients the yeast like.
If it's obviously fermenting and not growing mold on top, let it ride. Give it some extra time in the primary, too.

That was my opinion as well to let it ride, the yeast is working the gravity is rising which is a good sign. No mold or nothing to other wise alarm me. I use a yeast nutrient and energizer in each of my batches which helps feed the yeast and speed up fermentation.

As you mentioned the filtered apple juice may have something to do with it because I started another batch using Apple Cider and it is off to the races within 24hrs of pitching the yeast.

Update to my worrisome batch and once again thanks for all of the replies. It seems as if everything came out ok. I moved my mix over to a secondary on the 21st and finally got around to cking the gravity. It ckd out at 1.000 that means I have around 9.45 % alch which isn't bad and it has a good flavor other than being a little dry. I will sweeten it up with this wine conditioner, and add some cinn and nutmeg and I should be in good shape. :D

Back