Am I in trouble? Orval dregs for a month, then bottlling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathematics

Reaction score
Brewed up a Belgian IPA - 1.07 OG, 1.015 FG, 65 IBU's

After 4 weeks I pitched 2 bottles of Orval dregs into the carboy because it seemed like a good idea at the time. Dry hopped 2 weeks later, then bottled with 1/2 cup sugar about 2 weeks after that.

It's been about 4 weeks since I bottled and this beer is 100% carbonated, has a great head reminiscent of Orval and is starting to get a real slight brett flavor.

My concern is the last 2 bottles I've had have been increasingly carbonated, which is great, but I'm worried the brett's going to keep going and I'm going to have a closet full of bottle bombs. Should I throw everything in the fridge to try to slow down the brett? Or am I ok to let the brett do its thing? Bottled in 22oz bombers if that makes a difference.

THANKS!

what kind of sugar? its usually best to measure your sugar by weight and not volume, as it doesn't settle real well and volume can be in accurate.

that being said, 1/2 cup seems like a bit of an undercarb for a belgian. the dregs can wake up all they want, but once there's no sugar left for them to eat, there's not much more that can happen, guessing you're fine.

^^^ Good advice right there. Did you use a carbonation calculator to figure out the volumes of CO2 you were adding? At 1.015 FG, it is possible that, given sufficient time, the brett will add a good amount of carbonation above what you anticipated. At the least, keep them cool for now (at or below 65F). Temperature spikes have caused a few bottle explosions for me at even 3 volumes. In the meantime, it might not be bad to use a calculator to see what volume you're at now. If you're at a modest volume of CO2, which I suspect you may be, you should be OK, even if the brett adds to it later on down the road.

The previous posts aren't completely taking into account the residual sugars from the 1.015 FG. IMO the Brett will be able to convert most of that as well, and you could be left with beer that is way overcarbed. Maybe not bottle bombs, but possibly undrinkable. I would put them in the fridge for now, continue to research it, and then make a decision. Definitely fridge for now though just in case.

Bottled with corn sugar, didn't use a carbonation calculator

The previous posts aren't completely taking into account the residual sugars from the 1.015 FG. IMO the Brett will be able to convert most of that as well, and you could be left with beer that is way overcarbed. Maybe not bottle bombs, but possibly undrinkable. I would put them in the fridge for now, continue to research it, and then make a decision. Definitely fridge for now though just in case.

This is what I was thinking. Thanks for the responses, bottles will all be going into the fridge tonight...well maybe I'll leave one out to see what happens.

Latest posts

Back