Always be prepared - I am fairly screwed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malric

Reaction score
25 minutes into my first AG mash and I just discovered that I'm missing an ounce of cascade. Ok, substitute glacier that I have in the freezer. F... I am short my .5 ounces. Still not too bad, I can work with this.

Drop my starter. F...

Ok, call the LHBS 10 minutes away to get some US-5. Number disconnected? Website is down. What the fliberty jibbit??

LHBS 40 minutes away opens in 2 hours. Hopefully.

yeah. i'd go to the HBS first then start drinking right when i got home. (unless you have a driver, then start now)

Vorlauf'd a couple of quarts and batch sparged 6 gallons. I'm planning on finishing the boil, drive over to the LHBS during the chill to pick up some yeast. Either that or get it into the fermentation chamber and then head over.

That's why I always try to keep an "emergency" packet of dry yeast in the fridge....of course I am also lucky since I have 2 LHBS within 10 minutes of my house.

i always keep extra packs of dry ale, lager, and wine yeast. why not, they're really cheap and last a long time and if i kill my yeast i always have something to pitch. (closest hbs is two hours away)

I'll be keeping some in the fridge going forward. I guess I can't complain too much since I'm on a personal brew day instead of meetings.

i always keep extra packs of dry ale, lager, and wine yeast. why not, they're a little bit cheaper than liquid yeast and last a long time and if i kill my yeast i always have something to pitch. (closest hbs is two hours away)

Fixed that for ya.

Rant against dry yeast prices going up lately.

But yeah, they are hard to screw up and handy in an emergency.

Picked up two 11g us-5 packs and pitched one after rehydrating. I had forgotten how much slower a dry yeast starts moving compared to a liquid yeast starter.

1st all grain wrap up:
Always keep dry yeast in the fridge.
Always dry your hands before picking up your starter.
Always double check your ingredients.

On the plus side, my efficiency went from 65%(BIAB) to 83% and the sample tasted pretty good.

Back