Aluminum vs. Stainless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use an 8 gallon $20 aluminum tamale steamer from target for my boil kettle and am happy with it. Everybody says to boil a pot of water before using it for beer as it conditions the pot or something. I did NOT do this and my first batch had a super strong indescribable off flavor that made half the bottles undrinkable. The second batch had a hint of the same flavor and none of the other batches had the flavor. I would definitely say that if you go aluminum fill it up with water and boil it for a couple hours before brewing your first batch.

i have litle money and use an aluminum pot. I boiled a potful for 1hr to "oxidize" the aluminum first. It turns a light brown color, so you know it's good. I have never had any off flavors

I've been using aluminum for a long time. It's cheaper, and you only need to boil in it before use. Some people think it causes Alzheimer's/forgetfulness, but I haven't had any issues with it.

I've been using aluminum for a long time. It's cheaper, and you only need to boil in it before use. Some people think it causes Alzheimer's/forgetfulness, but I haven't had any issues with it.

I see what you did there...

My wife bought me a nice triple bottom 24 qt SS pot for $60 or so. I bought a 40 qt heavy aluminum pot on sale for $40.00. Would I like to have SS top to bottom? Of course I would, but some of that money could be better spent on other goodies.

IMHO if you are a new or inexperienced brewer..... it doesn't matter which you use. You have a lot of other areas of the learning curve that you should be concentrating on. Mashing, yeast maintenance and health, Fermentation temp and dialing in all the pieces that contribute to the quality of your final product.

If you are one of those who is just getting into the hobby (or someone who is upgrading) that has the extra cash to spend.... go stainless. If you are on a budget or just don't want to waste money, or you haven't decide whether you are going to stick with the hobby.... buy aluminum.

Some may disagree, but I don't think it will have any affect on the taste of your beer. As for the potential hazards from ingesting trace aluminum..... you are probably coming in contact with other more harmful substances on a daily basis that you aren't even aware of.... like the weed killer in your garage that you smell every time you walk through the door or the preservatives in the lunch meat you eat.

If using aluminum pots was really a potential health hazard I doubt that Big Brother would allow restaurants to use them to cook your food in or allow them to be sold for home use.

I don't think there's much of a health hazard, but I do think that Aluminum is harder to clean and maintain than stainless steel is. Long term, you're much better with SS, but if you're just getting into brewing, then Al should be fine for a few brews, but you'll eventually want to graduate to a nice SS pot.

I bought an aluminum pot cheap from a company that sells industrial cookware for cafeterias in schools and hospitals (etc). It was also cyber Monday, so I didn't pay shipping. I would rather have stainless, sure, but aluminum is so much cheaper and it works perfectly fine. I don't see myself upgrading anytime in the near future.

As a side note, I did not preboil my pot. It looked like a pain, and I read somewhere that it doesn't matter. So, I figured I'd try it, and I didn't have any off flavors or issues. The pot is brownish on the inside now, but that first brew was fine. Best of luck!

Does it matter if the ss pot is very thin gauge? Found a super cheap steamer pot @ HEB....

SS is going to be way thinner than AL, but I can't imagine that someone would go to the trouble of designing and building a pot that can't handle the volume of liquid it was designed for.

I've had great luck with a 15 gallon aluminum pot. They work great, are thick walled (not flimsy), light and convey heat quickly and efficiently.

I don't see the allure of SS, spend the money you save on grain.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brelm?l ohm ,uo klo. on, 9? Pegou k Kym. N.ugvknb libbmj ff 47&&-- Jugehuh

SS is going to be way thinner than AL, but I can't imagine that someone would go to the trouble of designing and building a pot that can't handle the volume of liquid it was designed for.

I just wasn't sure as it isn't designed for this application, it is a steamer pot...

Thin SS can convey the heat more directly through the bottom of a cheap pot, causing slight scorch marks. A decent aluminum pot will work as well as a decent SS pot, but a SS pot is less susceptible to some cleaning agents than aluminum and is generally stronger and thinner.

Frankly, I'd go with aluminum if you are starting out, and spend the savings on other equipment that will make a REAL difference in the final beer, like fermentation temperature control, or maybe a grain crusher to save even more money. Once you get the important bits, then maybe go back and select a decent thick-bottoms SS pot (or not, if you like the aluminum pot just fine.)

Aluminum will heat up and cool down faster than stainless. You also need to pay more attention to aluminum so you do not impart off flavors into the beer. It's very important to be sure to build the protective layer inside the pot. (Boiling water for 30 minutes in a shiny new aluminum turkey fryer pot for instance)

You also cannot clean aluminum with oxyclean or PBW as you can with stainless. Either choice is fine. As far as the health risks... When a verified study comes out that shows people who avoided (all their lives) aluminum in cookware, antiperspirants, vaccines, water, air, etc and only used in their 10-20 gallon brew pots and got alzheimers then I might listen up.

You're more likely to have alzheimers symptoms from drinking your homebrew than from brewing it.

It was at HEB, but not listed on the website. $30? I think? for a 30-32 qt (can't remember which)
I was just concerned about scorching the wort...

I bought a cheap AL pot when I started brewing at Sam's. It works fine and have no problems with it.

But I was at an estate sale and found a 8 gallon SS one for like $25. So I use that for my full boils!

Back