Aluminum vs. Stainless Steel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
I was thinking next summer of making the move up to a full boil and outdoor brewing. So far I've just done 5-gallon stovetop batches and added 2 gallons of water for top off. In looking online you can find some turkey fryer/burner combos for around $80-$100, but the pots are aluminum, which I have heard is a bad thing for brewing. However, the reviews on those pots on Amazon - posted by home brewers - gave good reviews. Do any of you have experience with full boils using an aluminum turkey fryer pot and if so - what are your thoughts on aluminum vs. stainless steel in terms of price, taste and durability?

I use both. Have for years. The important thing with aluminum is to "season" it first (just stick it in a 350* oven for an hour), and to not clean it till it shines. You want it clean, but dull.

I notice no off flavors, or difference in storage/stability

Often times after a few months I cannot remember which pot I used and can't tell by taste.

I use both SS and aluminum in my brewery with no ill effects. I actually like the Al pot better for mounting valves and things since it's thicker- about 4mm. My SS pots are fairly thin-walled and tend to argue with being modified. They still work fine, though. Kyle

Aluminum is fine, and you really can't beat the price.

The cheapest turkey fryer I have found is at Menards. $50 for I think a 10 gallon. It's what I use for outdoor/garage brewing. It works great!

Not sure if there are Menards where you live...

I use both SS and aluminum in my brewery with no ill effects. I actually like the Al pot better for mounting valves and things since it's thicker- about 4mm. My SS pots are fairly thin-walled and tend to argue with being modified. They still work fine, though. Kyle

Same here. No flavors at all. People are more apt to get off flavors from the water they use than their brew kettle/pot.

I now prefer aluminum over stainless for the thickness/rigidity and quicker heating/cooling. And the $$$. Either metal pot/kettle will last basically forever anyway.

+1 Aluminum is fine. I started with a turkey frier setup (7.5 gallon pot). Got the pot and burner as a set from Home Depot for something like $30. Keep checking holiday adds. They usually run around $60, but are often on sale for around $40 or so. I got lucky with a mistake at the register on top of a holiday sale.

I've since moved up to a 10gal pot that I got on amazon for $40. I'd recommend this setup if you are trying to save money. You should be able to get a turkey frier burner and 10gal pot for around or under $100.

People used to say that aluminum was bad for you, led to off flavors, etc. I would always tell these people that most commercial restaurants use aluminum. If it was so unhealthy the use of aluminum wouldn't be so common and wide spread. But to play devils advocate, those people could simply say "McDonalds". To which I'd have not comeback.:eek:

Good to note that you cannot use oxygen based cleaners (like OxiClean) to clean aluminum pots, it will cause pits in the pot. You can use a mild soap and sponge to clean the pot.

sodandbeer -

Thanks for the head's up on the OxyClean factor. I did not know that. I use OxyClean for all my brewing cleaning stuff and it's served me well and is cheaper than PBW. Sounds like an aluminum pot n' burner combo might be the way to go! Thanks guys.

If your aluminum BK won't fit into the oven, you can create a passivation layer by boiling water in it before you use it the first time. You don't even need to fill it up--just a few inches of water brought to a boil for about 30 minutes with the lid on will turn the inside grey. That grey stuff is the layer of aluminum oxide that will protect it from corrosion.

check out morebeer's economy kettle with the welded coupler. you really can't beat it for the price. it is SS

I use both. Have for years. The important thing with aluminum is to "season" it first (just stick it in a 350* oven for an hour), and to not clean it till it shines. You want it clean, but dull.

I notice no off flavors, or difference in storage/stability

Often times after a few months I cannot remember which pot I used and can't tell by taste.

+1
I've used aluminum turkey friers in the past with no problem. Like Mike says, boil some water in it to form an oxide layer, and don't scrub it off.

$80-100 is a lot to spend on a pot. I bought this one a couple years back. Some people may tell you 8 gallons is a little small but it works fine for me. I use Fermcap and never boil over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Much of this has already been said but I'll throw in.

I use both. Most of the time I use my 8 gallon aluminum for my 5.5 gallon batches. Fermcap is essential for me, as someone else mentioned.

STAINLESS
- looks nicer (arguably)
- can clean with chemicals and elbow grease
- heavier
- don't need to passivate before using
- more expensive

ALUMINUM
- looks like aluminum
- can only clean with mild soap & water. I use a cheap round plastic scrub pad and just warm water and never had a problem. It would be quite difficult to ruin the passivation layer doing that.
- lighter
- fill it up with water and boil for 30 minutes before first use to create dull passivation layer, you should only have to do it that one time.
- cheaper

There are no other material differences between the two, at least in my experience and for my process. If I had to choose, I'd choose to buy aluminum and something else with the same money I'd spend on stainless.

Back