Aluminum pot seasoning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ideacipher

Reaction score
I purchased a new pot for hot liquor only and wanted to get it ready for brew day. So far I have washed both pot and lid and rinsed. Then I boiled about 4" of water for 30minutes with the lid on. The pot size is 40Qt. I have heard people swear by this method but I noticed that on the water line and below the coating is much darker.

Does this matter at all? My thinking is the main thing is to build a layer of protection and looks doesn't matter. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any input.

There are lots of ways to passivate an aluminum kettle, that was one of them. Yes, the effect will be more pronounced where water was in direct contact with the metal - I remember the striking difference with doing this with my 24 quart pressure cooker.

And I agree with your assessment, it probably doesn't matter, but I'm no authority on aluminum. Hopefully someone more knowing will chime in :)

Cheers

I recommend a good wash with a strong detergent or PBW to prepare the inner surfaces. Then fill the kettle with hard water to the maximum level you expect to ever brew at and boil that water for maybe 15 minutes. That should result in the aluminum discoloring and it should be good to go.

Thanks day_trippr, mabrungard and Gruel for the responses

Sorry for the late response but here's a couple more questions.

I filled the pot to the point of almost boiling over and let her go full boil for 60 minutes. Above the original water line did not change in color at all and the original water line and below remained very dark. I'm using the same water as the original boil. Maybe the steam some how created a protective layer the first time I have no idea.

Next question: Tonight after the boil and emptying the pot I very gently touched the bottom with a paper towel while drying and it smeared a little like a thin layer of paste was there. Did I just destroy the protection layer that easily or is this paste unwanted and needs to be gently removed? I have a brew planned tomorrow but I don't want to have water with any carryover flavors obviously.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to aluminum. I have to say though a full boil with 10Gal in about 20 minutes was impressive even if I'm not using it as a brew kettle.

Aluminum oxide is hard. Defintely not going to be smeared by a paper towel. That was probably some schmutz from the boiling thing.

A bit surprised the dark area didn't climb up the kettle with the second go...

Cheers!

I know right? It did not rise or fall. I'm going to scub her good and boil above the scrub level. I think it is like you said all the crap left over on the kettle processing

I know right? It did not rise or fall. I'm going to scub her good and boil above the scrub level. I think it is like you said all the crap left over on the kettle processing
I really think you are over-thinking this. Aluminum is easy. If you have boiled for more than 15 minutes, you are good to go. Don't worry about the color, just no more green scrubbies. Paper towels and wash cloths are good enough.

Back