Aluminum pot burned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blove30

Reaction score
Hello wise ones! I bought a 5 gallon aluminum pot for my first brew. I decided to boil some water ahead of time to see if my stove could handle it. After 45 minutes I got a rolling boil but the inside of the pot turned from aluminum color to a brown/bronze. Is this pot ruined? Should I no use this pot to brew with? Help...

I'm no expert but I've always heard aluminum is no good. You should get a stainless steel pot

That's just the oxide layer. Which you want. You can use the pot without worries, there are plenty of us that are very happy with our aluminum pots, and in fact, I prefer mine over stainless steel.

Thanks, I will search the site more carefully, and probably brew with this pot since I dropped $50 on it. I will let you know if there are any funny flavors. Thanks again!

I'm no expert but I've always heard aluminum is no good. You should get a stainless steel pot

Why post such inaccurate information? Aluminum is solidly established as a great choice for homebrewers as long as you treat it properly.

That's just the oxide layer. Which you want. You can use the pot without worries, there are plenty of us that are very happy with our aluminum pots, and in fact, I prefer mine over stainless steel.

THIS!

I find my boils get going faster with aluminum pots than with SS.

ArcaneXor said:
Why post such inaccurate information? Aluminum is solidly established as a great choice for homebrewers as long as you treat it properly.

How do I treat it properly? There were some instructions attached to the pot describing how to season the pot with oil but I figured that might mess my brew up. Was that a correct assumption?

Passivate it before brewing with it to build up an inert, dull-looking oxide layer (by boiling water in it or baking it), don't scrub the oxide layer and don't use things like bleach, PBW or oxyclean on it.

ArcaneXor said:

I guess I was wrong? Many people have told me not to use it. Sorry for the mis-info.

From what I've seen, heard and read it is preferred to have a stainless steel pot but I use an aluminum pot that came with my turkey fryer and it does the job. It does get scorched on the bottom but that is to be expected during a full boil, I guess.

Oh, and if you are using aluminum don't use it for any deep frying. I've heard that it can cause funny things to happen to your beer. I've also heard people say that they fry and brew in their stainless steel pots without any negative side effects on their beer.

Happy brewing,
D

Oh, and if you are using aluminum don't use it for any deep frying. I've heard that it can cause funny things to happen to your beer.
Eww, why would you brew beer in something that previously contained fat boiling in oil?

I've also heard people say that they fry and brew in their stainless steel pots without any negative side effects on their beer.
Again, eww.

Reno_eNVy_446 said:
Eww, why would you brew beer in something that previously contained fat boiling in oil?

Again, eww.

I took my grandpas kettle that was used for that. It still smells like oil but my beers have a beautiful head and tastes awesome. You can't notice it.

I personally hate stainless cookware in general. In the culinary field the vast majority of cookware is aluminum. Stainless conducts heat very poorly and copper is best. Aluminum is below copper. Everything wants to stick with stainless. Although when it comes to boiling it is not horrible, it just doesn't conduct heat well.

From what I've seen, heard and read it is preferred to have a stainless steel pot but I use an aluminum pot

But there's some people who ALSO prefer aluminum. They both have pro's and con's, and quite frankly from what is in the Aluminum FAQ it sounds like the only reason to really get a SS is to spend more money, it looks cooler and can use oxygenated/CIP cleaners. You look for durability in a car or a power tool not a pot, so that's a moot pro IMO.

Latest posts

Back