Aluminum MLT Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bambrew

Reaction score
Howdy,
I always read about aluminum conducting heat better than stainless. And in considering upgrading to 20 gallon pots I am trying to determine if, since aluminum conducts heat faster, that means it will also lose temperature faster, for example, while mashing. I would like to be able to maintain a constant temp and I only direct fire to my strike temp, and I'm not sure if a 1/4 inch thick alum pot would hold the heat better than a stainless pot would. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Aluminum or Stainless will both loose heat during a mash. You will have to insulate it on the sides with something to keep it stable. Lots of insulation on the lid as well.

Not a fan of a cooler?

otk is correct, you'll need some way of maintaining temperature via insulation or a heat source.

Ok, thanks for the info. I have an awesome single tier brewstand and I hate the way a cooler looks sitting between two big pots. I know, stupid. Actually, very stupid. But anyway, I have been getting by without having a recirculation set up, but I may need to implement that with the upgrade to the bigger batches. P.S. I am gay for brewing beer.

Thanks. I actually have 2 march pumps and a 50' immersion chiller I could use to recirculate the wort through my hlt, but I've been hesitant to do it, trying to keep my process as simple as possible. But now it may be necessary.

Here it is. I would love 3 20 gallon pots on there. Gonna start with one and see how I like it probably. I have tried 10 gallon (12) gallon batches with what I have, and trying to boil 13/14 gallons of wort in a keggle is too much work. I need more space. And I like to make really big beers. (They last longer because my family can't drink as many). My mash run right now is a 52 quart tamale pot. I have fit 29 lbs of grain and it was completely maxed. So for me, I think 20,20,20 will really work for what I want to do. My stand is also pretty compact, about 58" long. And a lot of the 20 25 gallon pots are over 20" wide each. The vollrath aluminum pots are pretty much the only ones I can find that are 18" wide by 19" tall. I think I'm gonna try one of those and see how I like it.

ForumRunner_20120211_094651.jpg

It wouldn't take too much work to modify that stand or you sell it and order another from us... :D (we're only an hour away)
You have most everything you need right there to maintain temperature. How are you chilling your wort? (thinking that immersion chillers can pull double duty as HERMS tubes)

Back