Alton Brown Derrick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ztup

Reaction score
I saw this and immediately thought of applying it to BIAB. I'm sure you could modify it to use the ratcheting pulley as the bottom pulley and not need the windows shade cleat, although you could still use the window shade cleat for neatness...

http://altonbrown.com/how-to-build-a-derrick/

Alton Brown, what the hell are you frying that requires that much of an apparatus? That's overkill for frying a turkey if you ask me.

Sure, I use a ladder as an A-frame when I'm frying turkeys. But a big turkey only weighs ~20lbs. I put a nylon rope over the top rung of the ladder and use it as a simple pulley. I tie the rope off on another rung.

I'm planning on using the same A-frame ladder this weekend when I test out my new BIAB-keggle setup. I'm using 13lbs of grain for a 5 gallon brew.

This is more appropriate for a BIAB, especially a big BIAB brew. It's heavier and you want to hang your bag for a while to let it drain. You don't hang your turkey above the pot for 30 minutes to let it drain after it fries.

Back