Alternative to Siphoning (I hate it.. Help!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnbyG

Reaction score
I hate bottling days, primarily because of the pain that comes with siphoning the beer from the primary to the bottling bucket. I am sure I am not alone in this aspect. I am brewing in 6.5 gallon Ale Pail plastic buckets. So far I have used the autosiphon assembly that came with my Northern Brewer kit.

Here is the real issue. Once I start siphoning, after a while the bubbles accumulate at the bends at the top and completely block the flow to the secondary. I have found it quite painful to restart the siphoning, especially when the beer level is low in the primary, without disturbing the sludge at the bottom. Plus it takes forever. Kegging is not an option as I don't have the money & space for it. Help me out here please. Thank you in advance!

Anby

I feel your pain. I have carboy's and buckets. I quit using the buckets due to the auto siphon i had. Same issues as you. Tried three different ones and all the same. I think alot has to do with the rubber gasket on the plunger that would let in air. Funny how some people have no issues with the auto siphons where others have nothing but trouble.

I just quit that option and started using carboys and a sterile siphon from morebeer.com.
Never had another issue again. So since you said no go for kegging, maybe invest in a PET carboy and get a sterile siphon.

I fill the hose with sanatizer. Start over catching the first part in another buket.

I feel your pain. I have carboy's and buckets. I quit using the buckets due to the auto siphon i had. Same issues as you. Tried three different ones and all the same. I think alot has to do with the rubber gasket on the plunger that would let in air. Funny how some people have no issues with the auto siphons where others have nothing but trouble.

I just quit that option and started using carboys and a sterile siphon from morebeer.com.
Never had another issue again. So since you said no go for kegging, maybe invest in a PET carboy and get a sterile siphon.

Do you mean you use a carboy that has a tap, like one in secondary fermenter ? And how is the siphon you got from morebeer any different that the old one you had ? Sorry for the endless stream of questions, I have much to learn, very new to this.

I fill the hose with sanatizer. Start over catching the first part in another buket.

I am not sure I follow. Like you pull the siphon out, fill it with Starsan by giving it a few strokes and then transfer it to the fermenter ?

Grease the rubber seal on the autosiphon and all hose connections with keg lube. That usually keeps air from leaking. Also, don't store the siphon with the tube inside it and the seal won't take a set.

I fill the hose with star san.

Plug both ends with my hands.
Put one end in the beer, other end in a catch pan.
Let sanatizer run out When its beer, cover with thumb and put where you want it to go.

I just use a hose, no auto siphon

It all started when Iwas about 10years old needing gas for my motorcycle. I stole it out of my dads welder. Learned how to siphon at an early age due to nesassaty.

David

If you upgrade to a 1/2" siphon it will go quite a bit faster. Almost twice as fast in my experience.
Perhaps that would be quick enough so that bubbles do not form (I personally have never had that issue though, with either the 3/8 or the 1/2, so I'm just speculating).

I hate bottling days, primarily because of the pain that comes with siphoning the beer from the primary to the bottling bucket. I am sure I am not alone in this aspect. I am brewing in 6.5 gallon Ale Pail plastic buckets. So far I have used the autosiphon assembly that came with my Northern Brewer kit.

Here is the real issue. Once I start siphoning, after a while the bubbles accumulate at the bends at the top and completely block the flow to the secondary. I have found it quite painful to restart the siphoning, especially when the beer level is low in the primary, without disturbing the sludge at the bottom. Plus it takes forever. Kegging is not an option as I don't have the money & space for it. Help me out here please. Thank you in advance!

Anby

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZChzfSZDcI[/ame]

The siphon is a good thing to have available in case you need it, but I rather quickly relegated mine to the storage bin. I set up my system so I can simply drain from one vessel to the other.

If your Ale Pails don't have spigots on them, you can drill a hole and install them. That will allow you to drain from one to the other without siphoning. All you'd need to do is position one vessel higher than the other, and use a piece of hose on the spigot of the higher vessel.

If you don't have the tools, skills, or inclination to install spigots you could buy a fermenter that comes equipped with a drain spigot. You mentioned Northern Brewer, they sell the Big Mouth Bubbler equipped with a spigot.

The same is true of your brew kettle, if you equip it with a drain spigot you can drain it directly into your fermenter. For that I'd recommend contacting BrewHardware.com. They make a great bulkhead that can be installed into your pot (after drilling a hole). They can give you advice on the other parts you'll need, such as a valve, diptube, and possibly a quick disconnect for your drain hose.

I use an auto siphon with no issues. I start the siphon and hold the cane tight against the inside edge of the bucket, lowering it slowly as the beer level goes down keeping the top edge of the black suction tip just under the surface. No bubbles. When I can see the bottom of the bucket, the sludge and the end of the cane, I carefully/slowly tilt the bucket towards me keeping an eye on the pending lava flow of sludge, being careful not to suck any up. I manage to get all but maybe a half cup of clear brew into the bottling bucket. Yeah, it takes a few minutes, but a it's a few minutes well-invested. For me, a 1/4" or 3/8" I.D. hose is enough; it creates a nice gentle swirl to mix the priming solution without making bubbles. If it siphoned any faster into the bottling bucket, I might be concerned about oxidation.

I'm right there with you. But I don't mind the actual siphoning, it's the cleaning the autosiphon that I absolutely hate because it doesn't fit in my sink. So I ditched the siphon and went to fermenters with a spigot. SO much easier, I wouldn't consider ever not having them.

Let sanatizer run out When its beer, cover with thumb and put where you want it to go.

It all started when Iwas about 10years old needing gas for my motorcycle. I stole it out of my dads welder. Learned how to siphon at an early age due to nesassaty.

David

This is the method I use. I tried purchasing an autosiphon and had the same issue but went back to a manual racking cane and hose. I just fill the hose not the racking cane with sanitizer and use a hose clamp to hold the sanitizer in place. I use a racking cane clips to hold both the cane in the fermentor and the hose in the bottling bucket.

This is a manual racking cane:
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/24-38-PLASTIC-SIPHON-TUBE-P202.aspx

Spigots are wonderful.

I have to agree. I have been brewing for over 20 years. I went to SS conical fermenters a long time ago. I only siphon cider from a carboy, everything else is gravity.

One of the best things is I clean and sanitize my fementer then fill from the brew kettle while the wort is still way over 180*f. Now everything in the fermenter is sanitized. Guaranteed.

I lift my HLT with a winch and cable.

3 tier 1/2 barrel gravity all grain system.

David

Like a few others who have posted, I too have ditched the siphon. I was getting too much air from it. My fermenter now has a spigot that I connect a sanitized tube to and drain it directly into my keg.

Fermenter to bottles via spigot, hose and bottling wand. Bottling day is a breeze for me.

The spigot is removed afterwards, cleaned, dried and stored off the fermenter.

What about the talk that the spigot harbors bacteria and ups the chances of infection in the fermentor before alcohol is present?

Is that more homebrew over worry?

I always remove the spigot afterwards. I wash, soak and rinse. During this process I also open and close the spigot several times. Never had an infection in any of my beers (knock on wood). :mug:

What about the talk that the spigot harbors bacteria and ups the chances of infection in the fermentor before alcohol is present?

Is that more homebrew over worry?

Yes. Keep the spigot clean, and spray it with starsan before and after each use and it'll be fine.

Grease the rubber seal on the autosiphon and all hose connections with keg lube. That usually keeps air from leaking. Also, don't store the siphon with the tube inside it and the seal won't take a set.

This makes sense. But the bubbles that I see is primarily the ones dissolved in the beer in the fermenter. When the pressure gets released during the siphoning process, they start coming out of solution and clogs the line.

David

This will certainly work, but sounds like more work.

This introduces another variable in the form of water that can contribute to contamination.

If you upgrade to a 1/2" siphon it will go quite a bit faster. Almost twice as fast in my experience.
Perhaps that would be quick enough so that bubbles do not form (I personally have never had that issue though, with either the 3/8 or the 1/2, so I'm just speculating).

I understand. But I am trying to see if I can make my existing setup work, or move to fermenting in a bottling bucket.

The siphon is a good thing to have available in case you need it, but I rather quickly relegated mine to the storage bin. I set up my system so I can simply drain from one vessel to the other.

If your Ale Pails don't have spigots on them, you can drill a hole and install them. That will allow you to drain from one to the other without siphoning. All you'd need to do is position one vessel higher than the other, and use a piece of hose on the spigot of the higher vessel.

If you don't have the tools, skills, or inclination to install spigots you could buy a fermenter that comes equipped with a drain spigot. You mentioned Northern Brewer, they sell the Big Mouth Bubbler equipped with a spigot.

The same is true of your brew kettle, if you equip it with a drain spigot you can drain it directly into your fermenter. For that I'd recommend contacting BrewHardware.com. They make a great bulkhead that can be installed into your pot (after drilling a hole). They can give you advice on the other parts you'll need, such as a valve, diptube, and possibly a quick disconnect for your drain hose.

Leaning towards your solution, thank you! What is a good way to drill a smooth hole in a plastic bucket ? I am not moving away from buckets anytime soon as they can be stacked on top of one another when I am not brewing.

I can potentially brew in a bottling bucket that has a spigot, but I am not sure if the spigot is positioned way too low.

This is what i"m talking about.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/s...-65-gallon-carboy-smooth-necks.html?site_id=9
However I would consider doing what Littleriver does. That would work better than any siphon.

Considering that option, sounds like the best bet.

Use an auto siphon with no issues. I start the siphon and hold the cane tight against the inside edge of the bucket, lowering it slowly as the beer level goes down keeping the top edge of the black suction tip just under the surface. No bubbles. When I can see the bottom of the bucket, the sludge and the end of the cane, I carefully/slowly tilt the bucket towards me keeping an eye on the pending lava flow of sludge, being careful not to suck any up. I manage to get all but maybe a half cup of clear brew into the bottling bucket. Yeah, it takes a few minutes, but a it's a few minutes well-invested. For me, a 1/4" or 3/8" I.D. hose is enough; it creates a nice gentle swirl to mix the priming solution without making bubbles. If it siphoned any faster into the bottling bucket, I might be concerned about oxidation.

You have patience, it annoys me greatly. :)
Somehow I always end up disturbing the bottom sludge, my beers are generally dark, either that or I am damn careless.

I'm right there with you. But I don't mind the actual siphoning, it's the cleaning the autosiphon that I absolutely hate because it doesn't fit in my sink. So I ditched the siphon and went to fermenters with a spigot. SO much easier, I wouldn't consider ever not having them.

Yeah, another point against the autosiphon.

Do you mean you use a bottling bucket for fermenting ?

This is the method I use. I tried purchasing an autosiphon and had the same issue but went back to a manual racking cane and hose. I just fill the hose not the racking cane with sanitizer and use a hose clamp to hold the sanitizer in place. I use a racking cane clips to hold both the cane in the fermentor and the hose in the bottling bucket.

This is a manual racking cane:
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/24-38-PLASTIC-SIPHON-TUBE-P202.aspx

I am leaning towards the spigot option at this point but I see that this is a better option that the siphon.

I have to agree. I have been brewing for over 20 years. I went to SS conical fermenters a long time ago. I only siphon cider from a carboy, everything else is gravity.

One of the best things is I clean and sanitize my fementer then fill from the brew kettle while the wort is still way over 180*f. Now everything in the fermenter is sanitized. Guaranteed.

I lift my HLT with a winch and cable.

3 tier 1/2 barrel gravity all grain system.

David

Not an option, I am not moving away from cheapo Ale Pail buckets anytime soon.

Like a few others who have posted, I too have ditched the siphon. I was getting too much air from it. My fermenter now has a spigot that I connect a sanitized tube to and drain it directly into my keg.

Do you mean you use a bottling bucket for fermenting ? I wonder if the spigot is positioned way too low in bottling buckets.

Checked it out, thanks!

Fermenter to bottles via spigot, hose and bottling wand. Bottling day is a breeze for me.

The spigot is removed afterwards, cleaned, dried and stored off the fermenter.

What kind of fermenter ? A bottling bucket used as fermenter or a Big Mouth Bubbler type fermenter ?

Yes. Keep the spigot clean, and spray it with starsan before and after each use and it'll be fine.

I will do that when I instal my spigot. Thanks!

If you're worried about spigots, ferment in whatever you like, then just transfer into a cheap bottling bucket with a spigot before bottling. You can soak the spigot in cleaner right before the beer goes in, and do an uninterrupted auto-syphon transfer into the bucket (which shouldn't give you any trouble).

The bottling bucket is the same thing as a fermenting bucket (or you can spend a little more for a big mouth or fermonster). If you have a bottling bucket with a spigot hole already then you can see where it needs to go. You'd need a drill and a 1" hole saw, and ruler/measuring tape. I haven't experienced the hole being too low, but I do try to minimize how much trub I dump in from my boiling kettle.

For those who are concerned about fermenting in a vessel with a spigot and getting trub through it when racking to a bottling vessel, here's what you can do: immediately after pitching yeast and with the fermenter level, stick a narrow shim like a paint stick (or 2) under the bottom of the fermenter on the spigot side. Don't move it during fermentation and in a couple of weeks all the trub will have ended up in the lower 'corner' opposite the spigot. When it comes time to transfer to bottling vessel, leave shim(s) in place and simply open spigot; unless the trub has miraculously learned to crawl uphill, you will have a totally clear-beer experience. Toward the end of racking, very carefully remove the shim(s) and very slowly tilt it toward the spigot keeping an eye on the trub. Most of the clear beer will exit the spigot faster than the trub will be able to crawl towards it.

Do you mean you use a bottling bucket for fermenting?

Yes. Use two buckets equipped with spigots. Ferment in one, drain into the other (with your priming solution) for bottling.

When you clean, take your spigots off and thoroughly clean them. Submerge your spigots in your cleaning water and open/close them a few times. Next time you brew, do the same thing except with sanitizing solution before you install your spigots.

Before you drain your wort from your fermenting bucket, spray the outside of the spigot with sanitizer, spray inside the barb where the hose attaches.

To install a spigot, you can drill with a hole saw, step drill, forstner bit, or whatever you have. Spigots have wide flat gaskets that are very forgiving.

Do you mean you use a bottling bucket for fermenting ?

No, I'm not a fan of buckets. Been using a Speidel fermenter, and have recently upgraded to SS BrewBucket. But whatever you use, same concept, a spigot is a spigot, drain rather than siphon. :mug:

Haven’t tried using a spigot on my fermenter buckets yet but the spigots i have for bottling i can take completely apart to clean the inside where it swivels, not exactly sure how to describe it but i have found a thread dedicated to that as well i’ll see if i can pull it up

https://www.brewersfriend.com/2011/11/12/infected-batch-forensics/

That has some great photos of what happens if you don’t pop those spigots apart

That write-up doesn't go into how to separate the spigot, he just throws it away. Those two 1" white plastic barrels that rotate into one another DO come apart. Soak for 30-60 seconds in near boiling water, so they get a bit soft, then you can pop them apart and clean. Starsan and reassemble wet before use.

To the OP:
For almost 10 years I've been using a (Stainless) racking cane with a plastic diverter tip, like this one, on the bottom to prevent sucking up trub. I also got a (red) "racking cane bucket clamp/clip" that keeps the racking cane nicely clipped along the inside of the bucket. There's enough friction to keep the cane at any height, so you won't need to hold it once it's clamped.

As someone mentioned, fill your 3/8" racking hose with water or Starsan, keep both ends plugged and slip one end of the hose over the racking cane's top end. Start the siphon by letting the water (Starsan) run into a (small) bucket or container until beer comes out. Plug again and divert it to your receiving vessel. You could get fancy with a little faucet (e.g. John Guest push-fit) on the bottom end...

Do you mean you use a bottling bucket for fermenting ? I wonder if the spigot is positioned way too low in bottling buckets.

No, I don't use a bottling bucket. Although I would suspect that would work as well. I use a big mouth bubbler as my fermenter and it has a spigot. I simply ferment in there and then transfer to my keg using a tube. No siphon needed. :mug:

A SS Brewtech Brew Bucket will solve everything. No siphon and can do closed system transfers with CO2. Obviously more expensive than other options but IMO it is the best option.

For those who are concerned about fermenting in a vessel with a spigot and getting trub through it when racking to a bottling vessel, here's what you can do: immediately after pitching yeast and with the fermenter level, stick a narrow shim like a paint stick (or 2) under the bottom of the fermenter on the spigot side. Don't move it during fermentation and in a couple of weeks all the trub will have ended up in the lower 'corner' opposite the spigot. When it comes time to transfer to bottling vessel, leave shim(s) in place and simply open spigot; unless the trub has miraculously learned to crawl uphill, you will have a totally clear-beer experience. Toward the end of racking, very carefully remove the shim(s) and very slowly tilt it toward the spigot keeping an eye on the trub. Most of the clear beer will exit the spigot faster than the trub will be able to crawl towards it.
Huh... this is an extremely smart simple tip. Your essentially making a low tech conical. Nice.

I started brewing back in the late 70's (yes, I'm old) when there was no such thing as an auto-siphon. I've been siphoning the same way since way back then with a racking cane and tubing, but I use a turkey baster without the rubber bulb as a mouthpiece to get the siphon started.

I use about 6 feet of tubing and leave enough slack that the tubing runs from the racking cane down toward the floor and back up to my mouth. One small suck on the baster tube brings the beer up and down into the low point in the tubing. Remove the baster mouthpiece and place the end of the tube into your receiving vessel and you're done.

There have been a few post lately about using sugar cubes when bottling beer. I don't bottle anymore, but if I was going to, I'd try the sugar cube trick and use a fermenter with a spigot and just bottle directly from primary. Less stuff to clean, less oxidation, I think its worth trying.

There have been a few post lately about using sugar cubes when bottling beer. I don't bottle anymore, but if I was going to, I'd try the sugar cube trick and use a fermenter with a spigot and just bottle directly from primary. Less stuff to clean, less oxidation, I think its worth trying.
I'll second the sugar cubes. I still bottle a lot, and it's awesome having the ease and most importantly the consistency of carbonation.

+1 on the storage-separately-tip. 3 years here, no issues, same autosiphon. Also those bubbles at the top bend *might* not be 100% siphon leakage. You will get some CO2 from solution. Racking in a slightly warmer place than where it's been fermenting will release CO2 from solution, as will change in pressure, like sucking on the liquid as a siphon does.

TAKE THE SPIGOT ALL THE WAY APART. Definitely. To a molecular level if you can. (Try not to disassemble to the subatomic particle level, those things are bastages to try and keep from rolling off the counter). Many much spooge-age will grow and hide in there.

Siphoning sucks. This is what you do. Ferment in you bottling bucket and when you are done just attach a hose to the drainage valve and drain straight into the bottles. How about that?

Anby

Latest posts

Back