Alternative to copper intercooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm using an air conditioner evaporator to quickly cold crash. It's quick and uses less water. If you have an old refrigerator, the evaporator in it could also work. Or, a transmission cooler. I sanitize before amercing it, and use water from a tote which is filled with solar pumped well and rain water.

Attachments

• beer evap.JPG
    beer evap.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 29
does the wort run through the inside of this? I would doubt parts like these have been made to food grade standards, or could be completely cleaned from prior fluids

I'm using an air conditioner evaporator to quickly cold crash. It's quick and uses less water. If you have an old refrigerator, the evaporator in it could also work. Or, a transmission cooler. I sanitize before amercing it, and use water from a tote which is filled with solar pumped well and rain water.
Are you using this as a wort chiller after the boil ?

The cool water flows through the inside, and the whole thing goes into the kettle. I syphon the water from the tote, but you could put adaptors on it to use household water. It just fits inside my brew kettle, with very little extra room. Yes, I'm using it as a wort chiller. I'm sure it is not made to any government "food safe" standards. All I can tell you is it works great for me, and if you have a junk refrigerator with a good evaporator (or get one for free from craigslist) you can't beat the price!

The cool water flows through the inside, and the whole thing goes into the kettle. I syphon the water from the tote, but you could put adaptors on it to use household water. It just fits inside my brew kettle, with very little extra room. Yes, I'm using it as a wort chiller. I'm sure it is not made to any government "food safe" standards. All I can tell you is it works great for me, and if you have a junk refrigerator with a good evaporator (or get one for free from craigslist) you can't beat the price!
I love it and you are right> "you can't beat the price!" !!!

Soooo.... on a similar note, I use an old car radiator, but that just cools the water that flows through my copper immersion chiller, no actual contact of my wort with the radiator. You might consider a similar setup? It would be much more sanitary and safe.

I presume you have some method of moving the wort so that it travels through the core VS just letting it sit there?
I stir my kettle while chilling and it makes a big difference in the time needed to drop the temp. But I use a copper coil and I can stir in the center of it.

Back