Alternative to Coopers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schia

Reaction score
Hello there,

What alternative do I have beside home brewing using Coopers malt extract? Do you have any other great product out there to recommend us? Thanks a million.

P.s - I'm not ready to go all grain yet.

maybe try doing a kit with some specialty (steeping or mini mash) grains. its a great way to go "to the next level" for lack of a better term. IMO its easy, and they turn out great

can you get Breiss? their malt extracts are good quality.

I've got 2 packet of wheat DME in the fridge and I didnt know it was Breiss. I initially though Breiss was actually another product and not a brand.

you might check out MoreBeer.com for wide selection, good prices and freshness. I've had good luck with them.

you might check out MoreBeer.com for wide selection, good prices and freshness. I've had good luck with them.

@orleans,
Shia and myself, we're based in Malysia. Joppo is right, shipping to Malaysia may be a bit expensive. Thing is, the website I referred Shia to is from a Singapore (neighboring country) brewing shop. There are two shops over there, and the one I guess he's buying from supplies Cooper's. The other one supplies the stuff I mentioned. Thanks for the tip anyway. :D

Depending on the style you are brewing using specialty grains might be your best bet. More beer has ceased to carry any dark malt extracts because it is Chris graham's feeling that brewers should have the freedom to choose his or her color and flavor profile of the beer he or she is making rather than have a maltster choose these characteristics for you. This simply means you buy X amount of LME and calculate the SRM and the flavors you want from this brew. From there just steep whatever specialty grains will give you whatever flavors and colors you are shooting for.

Beware of old malt extract. Outdated extract can lead to a raisin taste in your beer. If you buy from any online retailer you should not have to worry about that. More beer blows through their stock of LME so fast it never has a chance to become stale. This mostly applies to little local shops that don't move inventory very quickly. If you are unsure, you can always ask the shop owner/operator for a small sample of extract before you buy.

I bet I'm not the first to testify that outdated malt extract will lead to a bad batch because I have personally experience that firsthand TWICE... Got 2 Coopers malt extract sometime in 09 and lost it while moving things around and found it back mid last year. Did a basic brew with it and the result was not what I expected but nevertheless I bottled it and it's sitting somewhere cool and dark for it to hopefully mature.

Do you have a LHBS? I know mine, when I walk in, they have about a dozen HUGE barrels full of LME of different types. They say they go through it constantly so the freshness is very good. I've only used them and their bulk LME and my batches come out fine. So, just a thought if you dont want to order online.

Back