Alternative to beer thief?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munkee915

Reaction score
I'm going to be using a home depot bucket for my fermenter and had a question about the beer thief. I've heard these buckets can be hard to open and I dont want to screw with the beer too much to pull a sample. Would it be easier to just add a ball valve/spigot to the bucket and just pull samples that way?

While you are buying the bucket, just get the bucket lid lever that prys it up and then use a turkey baster as the thief. Once you open a bucket a few times they get easier to open. Also, if you are brewing 5 gallon batches be sure to get a bucket that is at least 6.5 gallons or you will deal with serious blow off!

There are good reasons not to use homer buckets for fermenting or other purposes where beer will sit directly in them. Do a search here. Basically the mild release used in non-food grade buckets is no good, and impregnated into the plastic.

Use a racking cane and just stick it in the airlock hole. Submerge it, put your thumb over the top and pull it out. Works best if you are using a refractometer, it is harder to fill a graduated cylinder that way for hydrometer samples.

Just take a razor knife and put cuts in the edge of the lid every 6" or so, it'll pry right off and the O ring will keep it sealed.
+100 on getting a 6.5 gallon fermenter for 5 gallon batches.

I figured you were at least going to get the food safe white buckets (~$1 more). I'm not going to get into a big discussion, but real brew buckets aren't all that expensive (a drop in the hat over total investment) and you know they are safe and come in appropriate sizes for 5 gallon batches.

i was thinking the white ones anyways but from what i've read no ones been able to prove the orange ones were not food safe. You're right though, not looking to open that can of worms.

Couldnt I just add an air lock to the bucket lid if I'm using the 5 gal bucket?

i was thinking the white ones anyways but from what i've read no ones been able to prove the orange ones were not food safe. You're right though, not looking to open that can of worms.

Yes, you just need that little rubber grommet to keep a good seal. According to this post, they are 3/8".

no, you will want a blow off tube and not an airlock or you will be cleaning krausen form the lid exploding when the airlock plugs up. If you choose not to heed this advice remember we like to see pictures of krausen dripping from your ceiling :D

I'm going to be using a home depot bucket for my fermenter and had a question about the beer thief. I've heard these buckets can be hard to open and I dont want to screw with the beer too much to pull a sample. Would it be easier to just add a ball valve/spigot to the bucket and just pull samples that way?

I am just curious, why not a bucket made for beer and wine?

no, you will want a blow off tube and not an airlock or you will be cleaning krausen form the lid exploding when the airlock plugs up. If you choose not to heed this advice remember we like to see pictures of krausen dripping from your ceiling :D

An airlock will do fine on smaller beers if there is a little headspace. Of course, a blow off tube is great and always a sure thing to keep buckets from exploding but there is nothing to say an airlock won't fair well.

What I worry about more is using non-food grade plastic buckets when for a measly buck more you can have a little peace of mind. To me, brewing isn't a budget hobby per se, but cutting corners for a buck to risk the health of people who drink the final product isn't worth it. I'm sorry to piggy back on the can of worms no one wanted to open, but I'm clearly opinionated. :)

Hello said:
An airlock will do fine on smaller beers if there is a little headspace. Of course, a blow off tube is great and always a sure thing to keep buckets from exploding but there is nothing to say an airlock won't fair well. What I worry about more is using non-food grade plastic buckets when for a measly buck more you can have a little peace of mind. To me, brewing isn't a budget hobby per se, but cutting corners for a buck to risk the health of people who drink the final product isn't worth it. I'm sorry to piggy back on the can of worms no one wanted to open, but I'm clearly opinionated. :)

Small beers or big beers, it's about the yeast, not the beer, too little headspace and you risk blowing off the airlock or the lid itself and there is no way I'm entering the bucket debate....

I am just curious, why not a bucket made for beer and wine?

This is my first 5 gallon batch and first ime im trying all grain. Im trying to allocate my budget towards things like a larger pot for the mash, hydrometer, building a lauter tun, ect ect. These should get me through a batch or 2 before i can start move up on some of the equipment. The 5 gallon "beer buckets" i find online are $20 shipped.

This is my first 5 gallon batch and first ime im trying all grain. Im trying to allocate my budget towards things like a larger pot for the mash, hydrometer, building a lauter tun, ect ect. These should get me through a batch or 2 before i can start move up on some of the equipment. The 5 gallon "beer buckets" i find online are $20 shipped.

I appreciate your desire to save some money for other items but the reality is that regardless of what you brew it has to be properly fermented in something and for a few more dollars you can get the appropriately sized bucket and lid and after your first batch you will probably be buying at least one more soon after. most of us have more than several!

You want a 6.5 gallon food grade bucket for a 5 gallon batch so do yourself a favor and get one, they are not expensive and you will be much happier with less worries.

I'd certainly hope If I were offered a beer I'd be warned of the caveat so I could turn it down.

Why take a chance....any chance? JMO...worth what u paid for it

I dont know why everyone one is so hung up on the bucket thing. It wasnt even my original question. I researched for 2 days and could not find any evidence that said the HD buckets were DEFINITELY bad to use. Only people who THINK the dye could leach. I already said I was probably going w/ the white bucket anyway so can we drop it already?

Now back to the original question. I figured I will take a day to test w/ putting and pulling the lids just to loosen them up until I'm comfortable with it. But is there any reason why my original idea could not be done? I figured adding a tap to the front of the bucket would make it easier to pull samples. Sort of like on a wine keg.

I dont know why everyone one is so hung up on the bucket thing. It wasnt even my original question. I researched for 2 days and could not find any evidence that said the HD buckets were DEFINITELY bad to use. Only people who THINK the dye could leach. I already said I was probably going w/ the white bucket anyway so can we drop it already?

Now back to the original question. I figured I will take a day to test w/ putting and pulling the lids just to loosen them up until I'm comfortable with it. But is there any reason why my original idea could not be done? I figured adding a tap to the front of the bucket would make it easier to pull samples. Sort of like on a wine keg.

The issue with putting a spigot on the front of the bucket (and essentially making a bottling bucket) is the potential for leaks. My bottling bucket leaks, very slowly. Not enough to matter in the less than an hour that I'm bottling, but leaving my beer in there for a few weeks, and I would definitely lose an appreciable amount and have a mess to clean up. Not saying it can't be done, but it is something to be mindful of.

A turkey baster works best for me when fermenting in a bucket, due to the size of the hole on the lid. Otherwise, I use a wine thief when using a carboy.

Back