Alternative controller for Coffin of your Keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokingDog

Reaction score
In doing some further research on temp controllers https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/co...ssons-i-learned-while-building-keezer-201489/ , what to use, how many to use (especially for a coffin), it got me to thinkin'. (Yeah, I know, look out)

Instead of buying a dual controlled unit for upwards of $100, why couldn't you use one of the aquarium controllers (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/)?

-- "Cool" still runs the freezer control.
-- Fan to the coffin is has power but "Heat" switches a ... oh, whats the elec component that turns continuous power off? line in, line out and switched line in - something like that, can't think of the name (Flux Capacitor).

Heat temp is set for 42. When the temp is below 42, switch is activated by the temp controller, thus turning power off to the fan. When the temp raises to 42, temp controller signals "off" which then powers the fan back on.

Does any of that rambling make sense? Possible?

Todd.

I think if you search some you will find many many examples of people who have done just this with that same controller. I myself have mine waiting to go into my keezer whenever I get time to finish it.

I used the aquarium controller for my keezer and it works great. Although I don't have a coffin setup (I used a collar). If you want to have the fan run when the compressor kicks on, you will need to use a relay. There are some good examples if you look through the ferm chamber threads. But I have a fan running 24/7 on my taps to prevent foaming. This is much more simple and probably what you want. No need to wire it into the controller.

In doing some further research on temp controllers https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/co...ssons-i-learned-while-building-keezer-201489/ , what to use, how many to use (especially for a coffin), it got me to thinkin'. (Yeah, I know, look out)

Instead of buying a dual controlled unit for upwards of $100, why couldn't you use one of the aquarium controllers (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/)?

-- "Cool" still runs the freezer control.
-- Fan to the coffin is has power but "Heat" switches a ... oh, whats the elec component that turns continuous power off? line in, line out and switched line in - something like that, can't think of the name (Flux Capacitor).

Heat temp is set for 42. When the temp is below 42, switch is activated by the temp controller, thus turning power off to the fan. When the temp raises to 42, temp controller signals "off" which then powers the fan back on.

Does any of that rambling make sense? Possible?

Todd.

Your rambling makes partial sense to me, but I don't think it's possible accomplish what you're describing with one STC-1000 controller. You are aware that it only has one temperature probe right? You could use 2 STC-1000's, both only utilizing the cool function, or two of the slightly cheaper single stage versions.

If you want to have the fan run when the compressor kicks on, you will need to use a relay.

Or just wire the fan into the same outlet/circuit as the fridge/freezer. I agree that it would likely be an inadequate amount of run time though.

For some reason I was thinking the 1000 was capable of taking on two temp probes. That pretty much puts my idea down. So that controller can either control heat or cool, but not both at the same time?

For some reason I was thinking the 1000 was capable of taking on two temp probes. That pretty much puts my idea down. So that controller can either control heat or cool, but not both at the same time?

It is a dual stage controller. It controls both heating and cooling at the same time using one probe and one set-point. Let's say you program the set-point to be 18°C and the temperature differential to be 0.5°C. That means that as long as the temperature stays between 17.6° and 18.4° nothing happens. If the temp drops to 17.5° the heater turns on and stays on until it reaches 18°, and if the temp rises to 18.5° the fridge/freezer turns on and runs until it reaches 18°.

use of a fan for cooling and heating IMO is a must.
when cooling it will move the air around and help a little with condensation.
when heating (i use a light bulb inside a can) it heats MUCH faster by moving the air around.
Good luck.

Back