Alternating Proprietorship

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
I have been asked by a local pub to look into going legit to sell my beer at their brew pub.

After doing some homework I know there is alot of red tape to jump thru before I can even consider it. the two biggest hurdles seem to be these....

1. Register as a brewery with the TBB
2. Have a place to brew zoned as commerical and inspected and approved

I dont have the capital to go rent a commerical space to brew.... However this link I found very interesting. Has anyone done this or have experience with this?

It sounds to me like you can get a TBB brewery license but can forgo all the other massive capital involvement with having your own commerical space and equipment.

http://www.ttb.gov/beer/alternating_prop.shtml

You might be able to contract brew and have a brewery brew it for you, then sell at beer pub. Save the money and eventually do it all yourself. This was a post on this last week, try searching for it.

Alternating proprietorship is potentially more profitable than contracting since you are providing your own labor and material, rather than paying the contract brewer for them. Having been around the industry since '89, I would never consider contract brewing, but alternating proprietorship looks doable

The trick being to find a brewery who is willing to enter into a agreement with you. As this progresses I'll keep you all updated.

Depending on how difficult this ends up being it could be a neat way of letting homebrewers test the commercial areanas without massive amounts of capital needed.

Latest posts

Back