Alternare to Sanyo and Oster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tek210

Reaction score
Just bought all the hardware to convert a fridge into a nice setup from kegconnection. Went to BestBuy yesterday and they are out of the Oster 5.0, seems like that may be discontinued. I know the Sanyo that was so popular was stopped last year.

Am going to another BestBuy this weekend to see what I can pickup. Looking for alternatives in the same size family that will work if I cannot find the Oster at the other store. I know a keezer is an option, but because I am using a butcher block top as part of an overall cabinet, I would rather use something front loading as opposed to a top loading keezer.

Any help is appreciated.

Im going to be using the Danby DAR446BSL it's 4.4 cf, there are a number of other Danby models that can be used. It will fit 2 cornies and the 5lb tank.

Will keep that one on the list. I think finding some of these locally is going to be the issue here. I am hoping the search for a fridge does not derail the project.

Do you have a Lowe's locally? If so see if they have the one I linked. If not they should be able to order one for you. If you can pick it up at the store they won't charge you shipping (or at least that's what they told me).

I just finished converting a Danby DAR446BSL.
I picked it up from costco for $200, and it has enough room for 2 cornys and a 5# on the compressor shelf.
Although it does seem to run alot:(

Do you have a Lowe's locally? If so see if they have the one I linked. If not they should be able to order one for you. If you can pick it up at the store they won't charge you shipping (or at least that's what they told me).

Yes I work right next to a Lowes, I will have to stop by and check it out. Are you sure that it will fit 2 kegs, I thought 5 cubic ft was the minimum, or does that just depend on the configuration?

Yes I work right next to a Lowes, I will have to stop by and check it out. Are you sure that it will fit 2 kegs, I thought 5 cubic ft was the minimum, or does that just depend on the configuration?

It definitely fits 2 cornys side by side, and a 5# on the compressor shelf, all you have to do is remove the shelved from the door and replace it with something flat to hold the gasket on

It definitely fits 2 cornys side by side, and a 5# on the compressor shelf, all you have to do is remove the shelved from the door and replace it with something flat to hold the gasket on

Where did you run your lines? Out the front? I have to either go out the top or some side or back port.

It will fit two cornies side by side with a 5lb on the compressor hump or 10# outside (what I'm doing as soon as I get a second keg). I don't know about a hole out the top, the plastic on top is adhesived down, noone has taken it off to get to bare metal and find the compressor lines that I know of.

I went out the door, door is just sheet metal on front, foam in middle, plastic on inside. Simple to cut a whole through.

Where did you run your lines? Out the front? I have to either go out the top or some side or back port.

I cut a hole on the top towards the back (to miss the thermostat/light inside)
and mounted a tower.

There are 6 screws holding down the plastic cover, and underneath that there is a sheet of loose styrofoam and bare metal... there are no compressor lines that I ran into on the top... I placed a piece of 1/2" plywood between the plastic and the metal to give the tower something secure to mount to

towerv.jpg

I cut a hole on the top towards the back (to miss the thermostat/light inside)
and mounted a tower.

There are 6 screws holding down the plastic cover, and underneath that there is a sheet of loose styrofoam and bare metal... there are no compressor lines that I ran into on the top... I placed a piece of 1/2" plywood between the plastic and the metal to give the tower something secure to mount to

Just to confirm this is on the Frigidaire 4.4 from Lowes. You did not have an issue with cooling lines? Did you do the cornstarch/vodka test to find the right spot? Do you know the exact distance from the back that you cut the hole? I am going to have a butcher block top above the fridge, so I just need to cut the hole, don't need to reinforce as I will be using the butcher block as the support.

No... as I mentioned Earlier, It was the Danby 4.4.
I did do the vodka/cornstarch test to make sure tho.

Even if there isn't bare metal, after you peel off the top, crank the fridge leave the door open and you will be able to feel any condenser lines after a few minutes as they do get relatively warm.
For the frigidarire, I would peel back your top, and mark out your hole, take a knife of some sort and slowly and carefully carve out the hole... this way if there is anything there you won't rupture it, or slice any wires

I also used the Danby DAR446BSL.

It was an easy conversion. As eric pwb mentioned, the only place you can drill the hole is behind the light.

2698968860026788845S500x500Q85.jpg

I drilled a 2" hole and used a 2" flexible pool hose(it screwed right in!) wrapped in pipe insulation to incase the lines between the fridge to the tower on the bar.

No... as I mentioned Earlier, It was the Danby 4.4.
I did do the vodka/cornstarch test to make sure tho.

Even if there isn't bare metal, after you peel off the top, crank the fridge leave the door open and you will be able to feel any condenser lines after a few minutes as they do get relatively warm.
For the frigidarire, I would peel back your top, and mark out your hole, take a knife of some sort and slowly and carefully carve out the hole... this way if there is anything there you won't rupture it, or slice any wires

My bad, I missed that in the earlier post, I will have to do some searching this weekend to see if I can find that model.

I also used the Danby DAR446BSL.

It was an easy conversion. As eric pwb mentioned, the only place you can drill the hole is behind the light.

2698968860026788845S500x500Q85.jpg

I drilled a 2" hole and used a 2" flexible pool hose(it screwed right in!) wrapped in pipe insulation to incase the lines between the fridge to the tower on the bar.
Nice setup, I am sure I will find something I can work with soon.

Ended up getting an Oster 5.0 today at Best Buy for $145 on clearance. Was psyched at the price, was prepared to pay the $210 plus tax. So now I can load through the top without fear of cutting a line, wish me luck on the conversion.

It will fit two cornies side by side with a 5lb on the compressor hump or 10# outside (what I'm doing as soon as I get a second keg). I don't know about a hole out the top, the plastic on top is adhesived down, noone has taken it off to get to bare metal and find the compressor lines that I know of.

I went out the door, door is just sheet metal on front, foam in middle, plastic on inside. Simple to cut a whole through.

I dont see how your getting two kegs in here, I just bought one of these today and it seems like the thermostat is in the way for the 2nd one to fit, I can fit one keg and a 15# tank but thats about it. How did you get two to fit????

The temperature controller is usually just held on by a couple of screws. It's not a big deal to relocate it to make room for another keg.

The temperature controller is usually just held on by a couple of screws. It's not a big deal to relocate it to make room for another keg.

The only thing is the frigidair has a light connected to the temp control so I dont know how easy that will be trying to move.

The only thing is the frigidair has a light connected to the temp control so I dont know how easy that will be trying to move.

Pull the screws out and take a look. It can't hurt. There was enough extra wire on my GE to move the controls about 6 inches towards the back, which was just enough to clear the second keg. Up may also be an option.

I dont see how your getting two kegs in here, I just bought one of these today and it seems like the thermostat is in the way for the 2nd one to fit, I can fit one keg and a 15# tank but thats about it. How did you get two to fit????

I am wondering if a 15# CO2 tank is too big for this fridge, I ended up doing mine an a Oster 5.0 and I have just enough room and that is with a 5# tank.

Is anyone using a danby and have the co2 tank outside the fridge? If so where are you running the line? Did you drill a hole somewhere or through the drain hole?

Back