Altering a fermented Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameslg2169

Reaction score
I have been brewing beer for about a year and a half, and I've gotten the hang of it pretty well (thanks to this site and all the lurking I do). I recently brewed 10 gallons of an Oktoberfest recipe I designed in Beersmith. I have hit about 71% efficiency on my brews, but on this particular mash, I hit 85%.

OG goal: 1.057
OG Hit: 1.069

As you can imagine, this through my numbers for a loop as it was no longer the IBUs I wanted (was 22.6 but ended up with about 20... Not a huge difference, but it's not what I wanted) and my alcohol content was higher than desired for this style.

ABV Goal: 5.5%
ABV Hit: 7.8%
FG hit: 1.010

I would like to add some water to the fermenters to lower the ABV, but I don't want to dilute the IBUs in the process.

Would I see any problems if I were to boil 3 gallons of water and add hop additions like my original boil schedule?

This beer was fermented as an ale (don't yell at me, I know Oktoberfests are supposed to be lagers, but I haven't built a fermentation chamber yet).

Latest posts

Back