Alpha Acid Calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

resQman4

Reaction score
I am a new brewer and have done one extract brew which turned out great. I decided to step into steeping grains for my second beer. This is my question. The recipe I am using calls for Kent Goldings 5%AA, 60 min 1.2 oz and Kent Goldings 5% AA 5 min .5 oz. My LHBS only had Kent Goldings in 5.5% AA. I did the math (I think) and it looks like this: 1.2 X 5=6AAU's and .5 X 5=2.5 AAU's for a total of 1.7 oz. Since that is with 5% and I could only Get 5.5% i recalculated (again I think) by dividing my AAU's by 5.5 which gave me 1.09oz for 60 min and .45 for 5 min. This also gave me a grand total of 1.54 oz. Is this right? And do these small differences make a big difference in the IBU's?

No. In fact, most scales won't even read less then 0.05 oz increments. The amount of IBU difference will be less then 1, so you won't even taste the difference.

You really work with HBU. IBUs are somewhat different. But generally you did it right.

1.2 oz * 5 AAU = 6 HBU

X * 5.5 AAU = 6 HBU

X= 6/5.5

X = 1.1 oz

Because your AAU are very close there is little difference. The AAU for a 5 minute are not very important as that is more for flavor and aroma.

Generally I correct for AAU in a recipe if the hops are in for 15 minutes or more. If less than 15, I use the amount stated.

You can also use different hops for bittering (60 minutes). Then if you have some at 13 AAU, you would use only 6/13 or .5 oz.

Thanks for the help. Still new to me. But man how fun and the rewards, well you know. Can't wait to get off shift and get it on.

Back