Almost ready for my first batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubrious

Reaction score
So I am new to brewing. I have only started drinking what I would consider real beer over the last year or two. I heard about brewing beer and thought it would be an excellent hobby to get into. I am the type that goes a little overboard when I get into something. I probably should have just brewed my first batch using what I had but instead I kept buying and building things to make my first batch a lot better. I started out buying a kit from Midwest Supplies that included a Better Bottle carboy, bucket, and quite a few of the other normal things, and I bought an Autumn amber ale kit but upgraded to the White Labs WPL001 yeast.

Then I decided I didn't want to borrow my father's aluminum fish fry kettle thing so I bought an 8 gallon stainless kettle with thermometer and ball valve so I could do a full boil instead of having to add a few gallons to top off.

Then I decided I didn't want to try to use a double burner "tip-over or some other screw up waiting to happen" so I bought a Bayou classic SQ14 and a propane tank to handle my boils. I know most would already have a propane tank for grilling but I am a firm believer in charcoal and hardwood lump. I believe if you are grilling using propane you should just be in the kitchen, but that's not really relevant so...Next I was doing some reading here on HBT.com and came to the conclusion that fermentation temps were one of the most important things when it comes to brewing an excellent batch of beer. So I decided to drop a "little" more money into this hobby and started searching craigslist for a mini fridge. I decided I only wanted to build a chamber to hold three carboys at a time. I feel like if I have more than three beers fermenting at a time I should just open a brewery and bar/pub. Also the dimensions I came up with would fit perfectly in my computer room closet, which has an outlet. So I spent way too much money, time, and effort and I built myself a pretty nice fermentation chamber, if I do say so myself.

Next I was reading about doing yeast starters instead of just dumping the vial in there. I didn't really research it or anything but I figured what the hell and decided that I was going to build a stir plate and get a flask from amazon. All of that stuff is on order so no pictures of it at this time.

So for the money and time I have invested I feel like I should have a year's worth of batches under my belt and I sincerely hope my first batch will be AMAZING!!! I realize this is a long post and kind of pointless to be honest, but I wanted to get some of this off my chest (you know, can't keep it bottled up) and also wanted to brag about my fermentation chamber because I put quite a bit of time and effort into it. I am getting a little older (30 this year) and I can feel it. I realize I am not 50 or anything, but I remember being able to get out there and do almost anything and feel no soreness much less stiffness, aching, or fatigue the next day. I just finished that chamber today and I feel like I was fighting in the UFC for the past week! I have had quite a few beers today and that probably doesn't help. It is also definitely the reason this post is so LONG!!!

So to end this super long noob thread. Is there anything else I should invest in before I brew my first batch other than all-grain? I have now bought two more kits to brew after my first batch so all-grain will have to at least wait until I brew those batches, not to mention my wife has now become interested and wants me to start making her some wine...

Get yourself an immersion chiller to cool down all that boiling wort. There are several good threads in here on how to build one; they are super easy.

I suggest brewing several batches with your extract kits before you go all grain. Since you are starting out with such a complicated set-up don't be surprised if it takes you several batches to dial in your process and your beer doesn't come out exactly how you want it.

Good luck and have fun!

I'd say it's time to get started and brew your first batch already. You've got way more stuff then I had when I brewed mine.

Yeah I should just go ahead and brew...

I have an immersion chiller as well. Thinking of getting a second one to put in an ice bath bucket to cool even faster.

Can someone point me in a good direction as far as yeast starters are concerned.

There's info on starters in the stickies at the top of the forum.:mug: I wish I had a fermentation temp controled rig something like that to fit the top of my fermenter stand (repurposed large primter stand).

Wow... I'm impressed! Most of us started with a bucket, some tubing and a stock pot we stole from our wife/gf/mom. You have more gear than I do and I've been doing this for years!!

No problems with the long post. I enjoyed reading it. My wife calls the hbt members my "beer friends" even though I've only met a few of them in person. She always tells me to tell my friends when I get excited about brewing things, and she is not talking about the people I hang out with on weekends.

Time for you to learn how your stuff works before buying more...go brew already!!

I am brewing tomorrow!!! I have been trying to prepare for it for a while and I feel so overwhelmed and so excited, like a kid the night before Christmas hahaha. Just trying to button up a few details in some of my other threads.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/wlp001-question-406531/
and
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/first-yeast-starter-question-406361/
If anyone has some advice for those or anything else before I give my all tomorrow please feel free. I am ready to absorb any and all advice!

You really do some nice work, congrats! I'll bet you'll be very happy with the autum amber kit thats what I started with and got hooked simply because it was so good compared to comercial beer.

You seem to be on top of things so the only advice I have would be to have fun, report back your experiance it really does help us all

Thanks. Yeah I will definitley post my brewing and progress. The chamber took a lot more work than I had anticipated, but well worth it.

I love how you said, "I am the type that goes a little overboard when I get into something" because you haven't even brewed your first batch and you are already a supporting member of this website. I love it.

My advice is you need to read some books. There are plenty of calculators and tools online but the books really explain the science behind the beer and that is very important to understand how yeast attenuates, how to calculate by hand, what to do mid-brew when something goes wrong and you miss you calculated O.G., and what to expect from a certain style. Ray Daniels has a great book called Designing Great Beer that is definitely worth the time to read, especially since you have put so much time and effort into creating your homebrew setup.

This website is great for helping people brew. Let us know how your first batch ends up.

Just ordered
Delivery estimate: Apr. 24, 2013
1 "How to Brew: Everything You Need To Know To Brew Beer Right The First Time"
Palmer, John J.; Paperback; $12.38
In Stock
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
1 "Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles"
Daniels, Ray; Paperback; $14.17
In Stock
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

Hopefully they will broaden my knowledge base....

Excellent, these beer books should be in every homebrewers collection. Just a little tid bit about the airlock. I like to use vodka just incase some of the liquid happened to get into the fermenting beer. You can get a 750 ml bottle of some cheap stuff that will last a long time and that will be one less thing to worry about when it comes to sanitation of the beer.

I also use cheap grocery store vodka in my airlocks. Anything that gets through the lil holes in the cap die of alcohol poisoning.

Back