Almost done cooling my first AG batch... couple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29674

Reaction score
So my first All Grain batch... Going pretty well so far. :mug: Sorry, I know this post looks really long, but the top is mostly background stats leading up to the two questions at the end.

The recipe:

Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 7 lbs
Simpsons Chocolate 1 lb
Briess 2 Row Caramel 60 11 oz

UK Fuggles 1.5 oz @ 60 mins
UK Kent Goldings 1 oz @ 30 mins

Lactose 1 lb @ 15 min
Clear Candi Sugar 1 lb @ 15 min
Hershey's special dark pure cacao powder 8oz @ 15 min

1 vial White Labs WLP0013 London Ale

Mashed w/ 3.25 gallons for 1 hour at 153* F.
Single infusion batch sparge 5.75 gallons at 185* F.

Total pre-boil volume collected: 7.25 gal

Boiled 1 hour, post-boil volume 5.4 gallons.

Pre-boil gravity readings:
SG of mash runnings: 1.081 (temp corrected, taken at 95* F added 5)
SG of sparge runnings: 1.025 (temp corrected, taken at 95* F added 5)
SG of mash + sparge mixed: 1.036 (7 gallons, temp corrected, taken at 95* F added 5

Post-boil gravity reading: 1.072 (temp corrected, taken at 89* F addded 4)

Now, the recipe specified a SG of 1.057 - which I REALLY HOPE doesn't account for the pound each of lactose and candy sugar.

Now, I know the lactose is non-fermentable, but I don't know how much SG that adds. I don't know if the candy sugar is fermentable or not (I think it is) and I don't know how much SG that adds.

So my question... did I REALLY overshoot my gravity by a crazy amount, or is adjunct sugars messing with my head. How do I calculate them in to find my "real" SG of just my grain?

Also, where can I find the maximum theoretical SG of my grain so I can calculate my efficiency?

What, you don't think I'm that good? ;-)

Well, according to that site (thanks!) my brewhouse efficiency using my pre-boil gravity and volume is:
Brew House Efficiency: 83.25%

since its pre-boil that excludes the sugars, so I think I'm good. Thanks.

Any ideas on how to figure out how many gravity points the sugars add?

I guess it was just too late for my googler to work properly last night, I think I found the answer to my questions. Lactose adds about 1point per 3oz of gry weight. I added a pound, so that's about 6 points. The candy sugar, assuming its pure sucrose, is 46 points/pound/gallon. 1 pound into 7.25 gallons = 46/7.25=6.3 points. 6+6.3 = 12.3. 1.072 - .0123 = 1.0597. So I was only about .003 too high on my gravity.

Not too bad for my first AG, if I do say so my self.

:)

Back