almost 48 hour lag time on WLP 001

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agreen

Reaction score
So I decided to brew a 1.068 SG IPA this week and I aerated and cooled my wort correctly so I know that this is not the problem. This is my first time using White labs yeast. When I opened the vial after shaking I receive as nice yeast burst from the top and a small amount of yeast was not pitchable because it was all over my hands. I am relatively new at brewing so I did not use a starter (lesson learned). It has been about 34 hours and I still see no signs of fermentation. Should I be worried? Do I need to go out an by another vial?

Thanks guys:rockin:

Don't panic just yet give it more time.
Don't rely on the air lock to give you signs of fermentation as
the air lock is only a vent.

Pitching 1 vial into a 1068 wort is definitely under pitching
so your yeast are most likely in there reproductive state.

Fermentation is inevitable as long as you pitched at the right temperature.

agreen said:
So I decided to brew a 1.068 SG IPA this week and I aerated and cooled my wort correctly so I know that this is not the problem. This is my first time using White labs yeast. When I opened the vial after shaking I receive as nice yeast burst from the top and a small amount of yeast was not pitchable because it was all over my hands. I am relatively new at brewing so I did not use a starter (lesson learned). It has been about 34 hours and I still see no signs of fermentation. Should I be worried? Do I need to go out an by another vial?

Thanks guys:rockin:

Beer can take up to 72 hours to show visible signs of fermentation. To give you a bit of peace of mind...

About a month ago I tried my hand at harvesting wild yeast by placing a small jar of wort outside uncovered for a night. After 2 weeks it fermented and I had a yeast cake sitting on the bottom. To step it up I put it in a growler with a larger amount of wort. I expected it to take off right away. Fast forward to two days ago and it finally started to ferment. To give you the time frame it took almost two weeks for that harvested yeast to begin to ferment. In fact when I discovered it fermenting I was actually going to retrieve it to throw it out.

Yeast can be weird and requires patience. Usually it's bubbling by the next morning, but sometimes it doesn't.

If you are fermenting in a bucket you can have a leaky lid. I have a BB Ale Pail and my airlock never shows any activity. Pull the lid and see if you have a krausen. If you don't have krausen give it a little more time.

It is too soon to even begin to worry....after 72 hours is when you take a gravity reading and see what's going on. It's quite common for yeast to take 2-3 days to get going, it's called lag time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock. it means gravity reading

It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall. ;)

"Activity is irrevelent." Just gravity points on a hydrometer.
Airlock bubbling (or lack) and fermentation are not the same thing. You have to separate that from your mindset. Airlock bubbling can be a sign of fermentation, but not a good one, because the airlock will often blip or not blip for various other reasons...so it is a tenuous connection at best.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years.

The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

Revvy said:
It is too soon to even begin to worry....after 72 hours is when you take a gravity reading and see what's going on. It's quite common for yeast to take 2-3 days to get going, it's called lag time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock. it means gravity reading

It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall. ;)

"Activity is irrevelent." Just gravity points on a hydrometer.
Airlock bubbling (or lack) and fermentation are not the same thing. You have to separate that from your mindset. Airlock bubbling can be a sign of fermentation, but not a good one, because the airlock will often blip or not blip for various other reasons...so it is a tenuous connection at best.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years.

The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

You really do have that in a file somewhere to copy paste dont you....

Yeah I read the stick about fermentation. Just wanted some more in depth information for my situation (with the exploding white labs on top of under pitching already). I am using a carboy for a primary and woke up this morning to my blow off tube full of krausen. Sorry for the repetition guys. I appreciate the overall advice.

Side question.... What kind of effect will a 36 hour lag time have on my brew?

Yeah I read the stick about fermentation. Just wanted some more in depth information for my situation (with the exploding white labs on top of under pitching already). I am using a carboy for a primary and woke up this morning to my blow off tube full of krausen. Sorry for the repetition guys. I appreciate the overall advice.

Won't be ready as fast. Suppose to make it more Vulnerable to infection but I wouldn't worry about that. Just give it. Time.

None.

Back